Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Mt. Davis Century (long and pictures to be added later)

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-08, 10:15 PM

Bikes: 2011 Chinese Carbon Road, 2012 Giant Talon 1 29er, 2018 Mongoose Salvo Supa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mt. Davis Century Ride Trip report

Today was my first full Century Ride. I rode a total of 102 miles with 9800 feet of climbing including an 8 mile assent of the highest point in Pennsylvania, Mt. Davis. It took me 8 hours and 26 minutes of elapsed time and seven hours and thirteen minutes of ride time to complete the journey. It was hard but I finished out riding the final 26 miles in the same strong manner I rode the first 25 (we won’t mention the difficulty of the middle 50 yet).

I prepared by riding regularly in the spring and commuting. In the month of June I got serious about it and put in over 500 miles and 34,000 feet of climbing. This included 200 miles and a 67 mile ride in the final full week before the ride. The week of the ride I only did 2 days of commuting for a total of 60 miles and then didn’t ride the two days prior to the ride. Instead I spent the better part of those two days franticly trying to find a shop that could quickly fix my back wheel where a spoke had broken on my ride home on Wednesday. On Friday, Adventuresports in Frostburg put together a makeshift tool using a spoke nipple and tinfoil that allowed them to adjust the three spoke effected by the broken spoke. I’m going to need to spend the $25 and purchase my own spoke tool from Reynolds so that I can fix my wheel myself (internal spoke nipples are a real pain).

So Saturday finally came and 4 AM saw me stumble out of bed, take care of the dog, remember to put my biking shoes in the car (that would have been bad), and eat breakfast. Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal, an egg and cheese sandwich, and a banana. I also drank two glasses of water.
I drove the hour and a half to the starting point and arrived there at 6:30 before anyone else including the event organizers. I was a little excited to get going on the ride. After checking in at 7 (1 of 27 total riders), I headed out at 7:45 about 15 minutes before anyone else. It was 63 degrees and raining. The rain oscillated between drizzly and steady rain for most of the first 26 miles.

In my mind I try to convince myself I was just taking four-25 mile rides with short breaks between them (it didn’t work). The first leg of the journey took me from the picnic grounds (registration for 100 milers) to Somerset High School. In between was a generally upward ride with several significant climbs but mostly rollers. I was the first full century rider to arrive at the rest stop, roughly 2 hours and 15 minutes after I started. It also served as the starting point for the 3 riders (out 27 total riders) who were only riding the ½ Century. By the time I had reached the first stop, the sun was coming out and it was getting quite muggy despite the temps only being in the upper 70’s. I spent roughly 10 minutes at the first stop. I refilled my water bottles and ate a handful of fig newtons before heading out for the second leg – the 25 miles that ended with the climb to Mt. Davis.

The second leg had a variety of extended climbs to the top of the Laurel Highlands plateau. The first of two groups of riders caught me at the 36 mile point where I had stopped to take a couple pictures. I rode the next 5 miles coming in and out of contact with that group before letting go of them outside of Myersdale, PA. If I had continued to stick with them I would have blown up badly.

The second group of rider that caught me did so right after we passed the sigh that read, “Mt. Davis 8 miles.” From that sign until the rest/lunch stop at the top of Mt. Davis there were only .2 miles of road that didn’t climb. That last 8 miles took over an hour to complete for me. My elapsed time by the time I had climbed to the top of Mt. Davis was a little more than 5 hours. After a quick lunch of two gaterades, and a turkey and swiss sandwich, I spend about 15 minutes of my feet before hitting the bathroom and then getting on the bike just behind the two groups who had passed me earlier. The decent off Mt. Davis was a blast!

Unfortunately, miles 53-77 were the toughest ones of the ride. Every downhill was steep and fast and every uphill that followed it was steep and longer. I was feeling pretty bloated when I left lunch and it took a good hour before my legs started responding well to the climbing. As a result I spent a lot of time on this leg pedaling squares and just keeping the bike moving forward at the high speed of 4 miles an hour. There is one point after a long climb where the organizers had painted the following note at the top of a hill “Turn around!” So I followed their advice, stopped the bike, popped in some cliff organic energy blocks, and looked back into the valley from whence I had come. Here is a picture of the view.

I pulled into the Somerset High parking lot for the second time after having spent roughly 6 hours and 55 minutes in the saddle. Another 5 minutes off the bike, downing of my 3rd banana of the day, and I I went with these encouraging word ringing in my ear. “It may be 26 miles to the end but it’s really only 18 because the last 6 are mostly downhill.”

Sure enough the last 26 flew by. I regularly found myself riding at speed over 20 mph and only dropped below 10 mph to climb a couple pretty short rises (not even climbs when compared to the previous 76 miles). The final 6 miles saw me spending an extended period of time in the big ring pushing 23-25 mph. I knew I was tired at that point because my morning commute has a similar downward profile and I generally can push 30 mph if I want to pedal fast. But today, there was no way I was going to be pushing anything. I road only the gears that the road allowed, and my legs weren’t about to push the issue. That said I easily finished the ride, put my bike in the car, and headed over to collect my vest from the morning.

A quick clothing change, the inhaling of a braugtwerst and a plate of watermelon and I was heading home to my wife. It was 4:15 in the afternoon.

I took a few pictures and will add them to this post tomorrow at some point.
Old 07-05-08, 10:29 PM
Man, Myth, Legend,Bigfoot

Bikes: 09` Motobecane Cx - 07` Dawes LT1000 - 82` Trek 412

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great write up! and good job! I love organized rides.. the journey, the people and
the challenge.

Good Work!
Old 07-05-08, 10:38 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, good job!
Old 07-06-08, 03:11 AM
bcc
Large Member

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Bad Boy 700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a great ride. Can't wait to see the picture of the 'turn around' bit
Old 07-06-08, 06:08 AM
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Outstanding. I'm not sure how you folks do centuries with hills involved.
Old 07-06-08, 06:15 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
WOW, what a ride. I'm going to try and get out there in April for the Hammer Fest. Thanks on the report.
Old 07-06-08, 06:15 AM
I'm a Cyclist!

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Elite

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Wow - very inspiring. Can't wait to see the pics!
Old 07-06-08, 08:21 AM

Bikes: 2011 Chinese Carbon Road, 2012 Giant Talon 1 29er, 2018 Mongoose Salvo Supa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are pictures from yesterday's ride

This is the first really steep climb at around mile 20. Its a good example of the general type of climb found between the major climbs of the ride. A major climb consisted of a longer version of this too.

This one is a view across the plateau at roughly mile 35

More pics later
Old 07-06-08, 12:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More pictures:

Here is a picture of the road at the top o the first bigger climb in the second leg of the ride. If you look close you can see a couple riders cresting the hill. That was the first group of riders that caught me. This is roughly 35 miles into the ride.

As I mentioned there was point at about 58 miles roughly where the organizers had painted the instruction to look behind at the view. Here is that view:

And going forward was this view:

This is how I looked at that point (mile 58ish):

Another picture of a view from some point in the ride.

And this is how I looked after 102 miles of riding:

A day later, my thighs are tired, and for some strange reason the inside tip of both of my big toes are numb.
Old 07-06-08, 12:37 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by natbla

And this is how I looked after 102 miles of riding:

A day later, my thighs are tired, and for some strange reason the inside tip of both of my big toes are numb.
Next time I'm in Cumberland, I'm buying you a malted at Queen City Creamery. You deserve it.

My guess is your feet swelled on the ride and the numbness is from your toes pressing against the front of the shoe.

Old 03-03-11, 10:58 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by natbla
Mt. Davis Century Ride Trip report

Today was my first full Century Ride. I rode a total of 102 miles with 9800 feet of climbing including an 8 mile assent of the highest point in Pennsylvania, Mt. Davis. It took me 8 hours and 26 minutes of elapsed time and seven hours and thirteen minutes of ride time to complete the journey. It was hard but I finished out riding the final 26 miles in the same strong manner I rode the first 25 (we won’t mention the difficulty of the middle 50 yet).

I prepared by riding regularly in the spring and commuting. In the month of June I got serious about it and put in over 500 miles and 34,000 feet of climbing. This included 200 miles and a 67 mile ride in the final full week before the ride. The week of the ride I only did 2 days of commuting for a total of 60 miles and then didn’t ride the two days prior to the ride. Instead I spent the better part of those two days franticly trying to find a shop that could quickly fix my back wheel where a spoke had broken on my ride home on Wednesday. On Friday, Adventuresports in Frostburg put together a makeshift tool using a spoke nipple and tinfoil that allowed them to adjust the three spoke effected by the broken spoke. I’m going to need to spend the $25 and purchase my own spoke tool from Reynolds so that I can fix my wheel myself (internal spoke nipples are a real pain).

So Saturday finally came and 4 AM saw me stumble out of bed, take care of the dog, remember to put my biking shoes in the car (that would have been bad), and eat breakfast. Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal, an egg and cheese sandwich, and a banana. I also drank two glasses of water.
I drove the hour and a half to the starting point and arrived there at 6:30 before anyone else including the event organizers. I was a little excited to get going on the ride. After checking in at 7 (1 of 27 total riders), I headed out at 7:45 about 15 minutes before anyone else. It was 63 degrees and raining. The rain oscillated between drizzly and steady rain for most of the first 26 miles.

In my mind I try to convince myself I was just taking four-25 mile rides with short breaks between them (it didn’t work). The first leg of the journey took me from the picnic grounds (registration for 100 milers) to Somerset High School. In between was a generally upward ride with several significant climbs but mostly rollers. I was the first full century rider to arrive at the rest stop, roughly 2 hours and 15 minutes after I started. It also served as the starting point for the 3 riders (out 27 total riders) who were only riding the ½ Century. By the time I had reached the first stop, the sun was coming out and it was getting quite muggy despite the temps only being in the upper 70’s. I spent roughly 10 minutes at the first stop. I refilled my water bottles and ate a handful of fig newtons before heading out for the second leg – the 25 miles that ended with the climb to Mt. Davis.

The second leg had a variety of extended climbs to the top of the Laurel Highlands plateau. The first of two groups of riders caught me at the 36 mile point where I had stopped to take a couple pictures. I rode the next 5 miles coming in and out of contact with that group before letting go of them outside of Myersdale, PA. If I had continued to stick with them I would have blown up badly.

The second group of rider that caught me did so right after we passed the sigh that read, “Mt. Davis 8 miles.” From that sign until the rest/lunch stop at the top of Mt. Davis there were only .2 miles of road that didn’t climb. That last 8 miles took over an hour to complete for me. My elapsed time by the time I had climbed to the top of Mt. Davis was a little more than 5 hours. After a quick lunch of two gaterades, and a turkey and swiss sandwich, I spend about 15 minutes of my feet before hitting the bathroom and then getting on the bike just behind the two groups who had passed me earlier. The decent off Mt. Davis was a blast!

Unfortunately, miles 53-77 were the toughest ones of the ride. Every downhill was steep and fast and every uphill that followed it was steep and longer. I was feeling pretty bloated when I left lunch and it took a good hour before my legs started responding well to the climbing. As a result I spent a lot of time on this leg pedaling squares and just keeping the bike moving forward at the high speed of 4 miles an hour. There is one point after a long climb where the organizers had painted the following note at the top of a hill “Turn around!” So I followed their advice, stopped the bike, popped in some cliff organic energy blocks, and looked back into the valley from whence I had come. Here is a picture of the view.

I pulled into the Somerset High parking lot for the second time after having spent roughly 6 hours and 55 minutes in the saddle. Another 5 minutes off the bike, downing of my 3rd banana of the day, and I I went with these encouraging word ringing in my ear. “It may be 26 miles to the end but it’s really only 18 because the last 6 are mostly downhill.”

Sure enough the last 26 flew by. I regularly found myself riding at speed over 20 mph and only dropped below 10 mph to climb a couple pretty short rises (not even climbs when compared to the previous 76 miles). The final 6 miles saw me spending an extended period of time in the big ring pushing 23-25 mph. I knew I was tired at that point because my morning commute has a similar downward profile and I generally can push 30 mph if I want to pedal fast. But today, there was no way I was going to be pushing anything. I road only the gears that the road allowed, and my legs weren’t about to push the issue. That said I easily finished the ride, put my bike in the car, and headed over to collect my vest from the morning.

A quick clothing change, the inhaling of a braugtwerst and a plate of watermelon and I was heading home to my wife. It was 4:15 in the afternoon.

I took a few pictures and will add them to this post tomorrow at some point.
Bump an amazing story.

Old 03-04-11, 08:36 AM
Double Naught Spy

Bikes: 2010 Scott CR1 Comp, 2013 Scott Scale 960 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, a very good write up, and pictures. I can't believe I missed this when it was originally posted.
Old 03-04-11, 09:11 AM
Neil_B

Some photos from Mount Davis during my August 2010 trip.

Looking towards Natbla's home in Maryland.

The high point itself, which I don't think Natbla visited.