Since other people may be watching this thread, I've posted additional photos of other changes/improvements that I've made. Gone are the ugly old Universal brakes levers with their rotting hoods and old hard cotton bar tape, and in their place are a pair of Dia Compe Aero Grand Comp levers with comfy ergo hoods and some sweet Arundel GeckoGrip soft bar tape. Since the levers are spring loaded, I didn't have to remove the lever handle on the dead grip. Also, note the cool Paul Comp dropout adjuster screws with their large machined knobs to permit tool-free adjustment. Finally, I came to the realization that the 27.2mm seatpost was the wrong size, even though that's what the specs said, and replaced it with a perfect fitting Kalloy 27.4mm silver machined 2-bolt seatpost. I also lowered the stem 5mm.
So far I've put about 400 miles on it and am very pleased with how it rides and performs. Come winter, I expect to change my clipless pedals from Look road to Shimano MTB SPD so I can use my MT51 shoes which are warm and walkable.