semi-hypothetical, semi-real situation:
1. Downtown crit, .8 mile loop, 4 corners (sorta, but no more than 4)
2. Medians in the center of the lane on half of the streets. Even a pedestrian bridge column. The other half of the streets are full-width...
3. Full road closure. Lots of $$ and resources (think USACrits)
4. Knowing that you can pick and choose which lane will be the "race" lane where it goes narrow, would you choose the inside or the outside lane?
5. Would you leave the wide streets wide? Or would you try to narrow the entire course.