Please tell us your age: 50
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
1989, Bridgestone MB4, Double Diamond CroMo
Cranks: 26-36-48 T
Cluster: 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-27 T
Wheels: Shimano WH-M540, 16 spoke
Tyres: Continental Sport Contact 1.6"
2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Multivitamins, Creatine monohydrate and L-Arginine; 100 Plus (isotonic drink) during rides for hydration.
3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
I was previously comfortable with gear settings which enabled me to pedal at 85-95 rpm. At 50 I'm finding a higher pedal cadence of 95-120 rpm (at a lower gear setting) more to my liking. So in fact I'm riding faster, not slower, trading off muscle force for muscle speed while maintaining a heart rate range of 60% - 80%.
4. How long have you been biking New, around a while, biked all your life?
About 25 years
5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
Mainly commuting and fitness rides.
6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
I average 60km a week which translates to 3,120km a year.
7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
Resistance training: with weights once a week, with bands twice a week; Tai Chi once a week; swim laps once a week.