Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cannondale plastic top tube cable guides

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-10, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey mechanics, I'm in great need of your assistance! I looked through the archives and found this thread (which I swiped the title from) https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in...p/t-45894.html however the suggestions are out of date if only because the item suggested at what is now loosescrews.com are no longer available.

So the plastic top tube guides have fallen off minus one and I'm looking for a nicer solution than the previous owners tape or my temporary solution of a zip tie. Any suggestions? I also want a nice looking way to solve the holes in the frame the broken guides have allowed. It seems like the cable guides available at loosescrews.com will fit 1" top tubes and smaller- however this Cannondale is larger than 1".

The frame is a Cannondale 3.0 Criterium Aluminum from the 1990's (I guess- I haven't dated the bike yet) with full Shimano 600 group minus the 105 crank. I hope that helps and thank you for any and all help!
Old 06-08-10, 05:57 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Hello Julian welcome to the forums. did you try your local cannondale dealer or contact cannondale via the web?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 06-08-10, 09:26 AM

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
Cannondale Parts:
https://www.vintagecannondale.com/can...storation.html

Another option is to replace them with these
https://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-...-TOP-TUBE.html

There was another thread on this not long ago that had the plastic ones for sell also but I can't find it now.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 06-08-10, 09:59 AM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
The original plastic clips are a fine option but the link to Cannondale for the parts seems to be broken. Perhaps if someone can find that other thread or you may need to email Cannondale directly.

Another option would be to get some sheet aluminium and form your own cable guides. A + shape where you drill two holes in the upper and lower arms for pop rivets and bend the two side arms up and over a housing sized rod would produce a few neat and easy to make guides. Or instead of aluminium if you were to get some 1/16 Kydex plastic similar to what is used for making up knife sheaths you could form these up in the same sort of way really easily with heat from a heat gun or very careful use of a propane torch. I've used the Kydex for a couple of my own projects and it's great stuff to work with.

Come to think of it you could even form some nice pop rivet cable guides from stiff wall plastic tubing or thin and soft aluiumium tubing. Just cut the ends with a strong slant and mash the tails flat to allow drilling for the pop rivets. The housing then slips through the hole in the intact part between the two riveted ends.

By the looks of the picture you've got quite a restoration project ahead of you.

Last edited by BCRider; 06-08-10 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-08-10, 10:51 AM

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would contact Cannondale directly. BTW, a 3.0 frame is late 80's. My SM400 is a 3.0 frame, and I bought it in 1988.
Old 06-08-10, 11:47 AM
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Check with Mike's Bikes in CA. They are out of stock now but normally keep a few sets around. PArt # is A113.
Old 06-08-10, 04:00 PM
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't need fancy, these are some metal cable clips that you can clip on to hold the casing:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/c...are-brake.html
https://www.amazon.com/Tektro-Single-.../dp/B002U166TQ

I saw these plastic ones too:
https://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=563889717287
Old 06-12-10, 12:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all! Thank you very much for all the great replies! For the last week I've spent a considerable amount of time tracking down the original or comparable-type top tube guides and I've got some news regarding them for you all.

vintagecannondale.com links to Cannondale's website which brings up a dead link as BCRider mentioned above- I found out from someone at Mike's Bikes that Cannondale no longer makes them. The two Mike's Bikes I called didn't have any in stock and when I mentioned their website listing the item- and if they could make sure it was in stock- it was discovered that the listing actually represents a 3rd party distributor's listing and that they too were out. For the heck of it I'm going to call a few more locations because if one were to have the part they said they could send it to a local location.

Then I checked out roughly... 9 bike shops in San Francisco hoping to luck out but nothing turned up. A few suggested a zip-tie secured guide but I wanted to stray from zip-ties.

Now, BCRider, I'd like some more info on what you were talking about. I've never fabricated parts or basic parts before but I'm interested in learning! Would you have a photos of these sheet aluminum guides which I could go off of? I have plenty of tools laying around because half my family were automobile mechanics so I ought to have what's needed for the project. Thank you!
Old 06-12-10, 01:24 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Here ya go. This should be pretty much self explanatory.

Oops, forgot to include the size for the anvil. It should be 3/8 wide and at least 3/8 deep to withstand the clamping and bending forces while forming the sheet aluminium around the shaping form.

The sizes shown will give you an easy fit for housing. I've allowed for .25 inch where housing is closer to 0.20. If you want a tighter fit you can start with a smaller rod or file down the rod where the ears bend up and over. Or just put a wrap or two of electrical tape around the housing where it sits in the guides to aid in pinching it into place.
Attached Images

Last edited by BCRider; 06-12-10 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-12-10, 10:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you!
Old 08-30-14, 08:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm very late to the party, but after seeing this post I found a guy that does 3d printings of the cannondale top tube cable guides. Spendy, but easy solution.

cannondale top tube cable guides | eBay
Old 08-30-14, 08:36 AM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by benthefolker
I'm very late to the party, but after seeing this post I found a guy that does 3d printings of the cannondale top tube cable guides. Spendy, but easy solution.

cannondale top tube cable guides | eBay
cannondale cable guide by eclg on Shapeways

Brad
Old 08-30-14, 08:40 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Pair of round jaw bending pliers and some 16 gage stainless wire may do (14ga spoke may be a bit thick)
Old 09-02-14, 08:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brad for the win. Thank you!
Old 09-03-14, 06:53 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Another happy Criterium Series lover!