Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help me with aesthetics: bartape/saddle colors, Look 753 La Vie Claire

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-10, 08:04 PM
Mostly Mischief

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts

This time I'm really confused, just too many color swatches on this one.

The saddle and King headset is gone, and the hoods will be black Ergo. So what do you say? Just good old black maybe?

Old 06-16-10, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 66 Posts
Cool frame. That was Thrifty Bill's wasn't it? I'd go with black seat and red tape. A Google search showed that Andy Hampsten had red tape. Looked cool to me. Be sure to post pics of the final build
Old 06-16-10, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
for a bike with so many black accents, i'd go with a black saddle, but red or blue bar tape, in that order of preference.
Old 06-16-10, 08:31 PM

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710, 2010 Scott CR! Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think red tape would look good.
Old 06-16-10, 08:33 PM
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jan nikolajsen
This time I'm really confused, just too many color swatches on this one.

The saddle and King headset is gone, and the hoods will be black Ergo. So what do you say? Just good old black maybe?
I think that good old black might be the ticket with this (or maybe a dark blue - but have fun matching the saddle with that). Here is what a web image search brought up of other color combinations on your frame (which I think are all less aesthetically pleasing than a black saddle, tape and cables) :

Old 06-17-10, 12:35 AM

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EjustE

Lol...That's Abarths bike! Can't miss the bar angle, cable housing length or saddle bag! That there bag has treats in it that he kindly shares with me after beating me up on the trail...

I say play with the colors. It's bright and the accents are primary so that dictates fun! Someone should photoshop a yellow perferated Concor and yellow Benotto cellotape on there with a red bottle and cage...Red Looks are hawt too! Please get rid of the black post too...Go Aero Campy!

Embrace the brightness...

Awesome frame Jan! The pics don't do that pearl white justice!

Check out my bike blog!
Old 06-17-10, 01:35 AM

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked 2,124 Times in 554 Posts
I used to run blue & yellow diamond benotto weave on my matching frame back in the day. Thought it looked pretty cool but I need something softer on my hands these days.

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 06-17-10, 06:14 AM

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bet Fizik yellow would match well. It wouldn't be period correct, but I once found a Fizik Pave HP saddle in yellow and it looks stunning on my Ironman.

ETA: I think the black should be more subtle than what most people are suggesting.
I'd do yellow saddle/tape and maybe even tires.
Then keep the black seat-post, do black stem, black bars, black housing and black rims.

Last edited by jtgotsjets; 06-17-10 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-17-10, 06:40 AM

Bikes: Colnago C50

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
black, black and black
Old 06-17-10, 06:57 AM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by jtgotsjets
I bet Fizik yellow would match well. It wouldn't be period correct, but I once found a Fizik Pave HP saddle in yellow and it looks stunning on my Ironman.

ETA: I think the black should be more subtle than what most people are suggesting.
I'd do yellow saddle/tape and maybe even tires.
Then keep the black seat-post, do black stem, black bars, black housing and black rims.
He's close...yellow tape, black saddle...RED tires.
Old 06-17-10, 06:59 AM

Bikes: Ruckelshaus Randonneur, Specialized Allez (early 90's, steel), Ruckelshaus Path Bomber currently being built

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Personally, I'd go with white.
Old 06-17-10, 07:55 AM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
All red, or all yellow. And either way, I would also have the cable housings to match as well. I would probably go with the all yellow combo, as it is my favorite.

Depends how much you plan to ride it, as the yellow will tend to get dirtier faster. White would be my last choice, as I prefer a contrast color, and since white is the main color of the bike, I would not pick it. On contrasts, you have yellow, red, black and blue to choose from. Also it would depend on the wheels you use. Lots of options!

On my white and red Prologue (with black logos), I lucked out and had a white saddle with red and black contrasts sitting on my shelf (take off from a Specialized road bike). It looks great. Then I went with red bar tape and white cable housing. So I guess I violated my own rules. So with the right saddle, you might be able to mix a few colors. I need to round up some white SIS housing to finish my Prologue, the black SIS housing looks like crap...

I would have some fun with it and try a few combinations. If you can find a good multicolor seat, I would probably go with white housing.

Man, I wish that frame was my size, or even close.... But I am a 55/56cm frame size....
Old 06-17-10, 07:57 AM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
All red, or all yellow. And either way, I would also have the cable housings to match as well. I would probably go with the all yellow combo, as it is my favorite.

Depends how much you plan to ride it, as the yellow will tend to get dirtier faster. White would be my last choice, as I prefer a contrast color, and since white is the main color of the bike, I would not pick it. On contrasts, you have yellow, red, black and blue to choose from. Also it would depend on the wheels you use. Lots of options!

On my white and red Prologue (with black logos), I lucked out and had a white saddle with red and black contrasts sitting on my shelf (take off from a Specialized road bike). It looks great. Then I went with red bar tape and white cable housing. So I guess I violated my own rules. So with the right saddle, you might be able to mix a few colors. I need to round up some white SIS housing to finish my Prologue, the black SIS housing looks like crap...

I would have some fun with it and try a few combinations. If you can find a good multicolor seat, I would probably go with white housing.

Man, I wish that frame was my size, or even close.... But I am a 55/56cm frame size....
That frame is a head turner!
Old 06-17-10, 08:05 AM
Mostly Mischief

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
Yes, this was in Thrifty Bill's queue. Thanks for the deal!

No consensus from the panel this time...but all good suggestions, with the edge so far going to jtgotsjets palette, quite Mondrian.

Although the classic 'Look' would be Abarth/Hampstens red tape/black saddle.

Last edited by jan nikolajsen; 06-17-10 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-17-10, 09:17 AM
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Dave Hickey's Look nails it:
https://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...6&postcount=22
Old 06-17-10, 09:57 AM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
+1 That bike looks really sharp! The red pedals really top it off!
Old 06-17-10, 10:01 AM
@$#!?&!!$

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the black saddle and Red tape would look good also.

Nice grab Jan!

-Jake
Old 06-17-10, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Wow.

What a nice find you have there.

All of the options mentioned here would look outstanding.

If you decide to go the red Regal route, and you should happen to find two, please pm me with details.

My son wants one for his new bike, and I said I"d start looking. I could use one as well, but we'll be happy with one.

I don't want to pay $130 as advertised elsewhere on the web.

Thank you.
Old 06-17-10, 10:24 AM

Bikes: '97 Specialized rockhopper, '80s Motobecane Super Mirage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like it!

you should match colors to the opposite of where they are on the frame:

I'm thinking Yellow bar tape, Red wheels/tires, Blue saddle
Old 06-17-10, 10:26 AM
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
White tape, white saddle.
Old 06-17-10, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I think if you can pick up any of the accent colors with a bar tape that truly matches, it will look good. So far I haven't seen any images that do that, although in fairness I couldn't view OFG's link. If the red matched, red tape/black saddle would look best to my eye, with all black being the fall-back. Mismatched black is somehow easier on the eyes than a mismatched primary color.
Old 06-17-10, 11:42 AM

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked 2,124 Times in 554 Posts
Jan, I know you saw the post about my LOOK. Maybe I inspired you to get your frame on the road. Personally, I went back & forth on black vs. white saddle. I originally had a black saddle but decided to go with white for the rebuild to match the brake hoods and white lettering. As far as handlebar tape, most of the original La Vie Claire team ran either red or white Benotto tape. I prefer the cork style tape, but the Cinelli colors just don't match. I found that the SOMA brand is a pretty good match if you decide to go with something softer and in either red or blue. Btw, I'm still on the lookout for the right sized yellow silca impero pump (which I would fit between the seat cluster and the rear quick release since I had waterbottle cage bosses added to the seat tube, but you could run against the yellow on the seat tube).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LOOK-2..jpg (62.5 KB, 34 views)
LOOK-3..jpg (7.9 KB, 173 views)
LOOK-1..jpg (15.8 KB, 32 views)

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 06-17-10, 04:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my two cents (you know you want it...) but you'd be hard pressed to get a white saddle that would sit well on that frame, mis-matched whites burn retinas, it's a fact. i think the vittoria rubinos are a good choice on tyres, with the two colour stripes running down them, in either yellow or red would look mint on that frame. black saddle, and either black or red tape. Actually, red tape. red tape, black seat, yellow tyres.

my work here is done.

PS: i love the colours and paint job on this frame, it's awesomely of it's time, but while looking dated, looks very cool. the good kind of dated!
Old 06-17-10, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I say a black Flite or Concor Light with blue Cinelli cork or Fizik tape.
Old 06-17-10, 05:51 PM
Thrifty Bill

+1 Hard to match the white of the frame, as it is more of a pearl white, while most white saddles I have seen are appliance white.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.