Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

JIS headset woes and tange levin misinformation

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-10, 12:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I'm trying to find a JIS tange levin headset, but it seems like the ones specified as only 27.0 (such as on jenson, ebay, etc...) are usually (or all?) semi-JIS (27.0 and 30.2), and the ones that are specified as JIS (27.0 and 30.0) are from retailers that will end up costing $10-15 more than the cheapest 27.0 unspecified headsets.

Furthermore, used headsets don't seem to be specified at all, NOS ones are disgustingly expensive, and other JIS options are either cheap and crappy or more than I feel like spending on a budget build.

Does anyone know of a reputable seller from whom I can buy a full JIS tange levin headset for under $30 shipped?

(and this is before I even start looking for a non-crappy 26.6 seatpost when I have an awesome 27.2 and nothing to put it on, what a pain).
Old 08-15-10, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I found this but it seems to be one of the only place on the internet that sells black JIS ones, I've never heard of the site, and the restocking fee is 30%+shipping so I don't know if I trust them enough to believe they have what nobody else does for a good price:

https://www.mtnbikes.net/levincdshead...0jisblack.aspx

This looks promising, but also $10 more than jenson's price... I guess I'm just stuck paying the extra $10?

https://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...oducts_id=2312

Last edited by mazdaspeed; 08-15-10 at 01:03 AM.