Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

R20 Headset Modification v2.0

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-10, 07:23 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts

Set about modifying my new Raleigh Twenty by replacing the nylon bushing in the headset with a proper bearing assembly to improve the handling and stiffen things up a little as better wheels and better braking is in my future and the thing descends at some pretty high speeds.

All good reasons to do a little upgrade to the stock set up.

Discovered that the workmanship on Raleigh forks was a little lacking so when I took the fork out prepped the crown race seat which should be 26.4 but all the paint they left increased that measure just a little.

I tried replacing the entire headset with a Ritchey thread less and experimented with using the R20 clamp and the locknut to set the tension and found the clamp does not sit on the compression ring as well as I would like (so you can't get a great pre-load setting) and in fitting a spacer found it moved the clamp up just enough to reduce it's effectiveness.

And that clamp needs to be done up really tight whether you run a stock set up or have decided to modify things.

So today I did what I should have done in the first place and took everything apart and cut my head tube down by 9mm and refaced the head tube so the total height reduction was 10mm... which is the depth of the Raleigh setting nut and my 2mm spacer.

Put everything back together and think we have a winner.

And I finally named the new kid after a certain British hotel owner.

Old 09-02-10, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The pics are so much bigger on this site! (I'm Corso on the "Raleigh Twenty" site) Very well done headset mod.

p.s. The more I see the 451 wheel size, the more I like them.
Old 09-02-10, 08:13 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Corso... If you are planning on upgrading to alloy wheels you can get the CR18 in a 451 size for the same price as the 406 and they come in 28 and 36 spoke drillings.
Old 09-02-10, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll do that on my "next" R20. Just found THIS on ebay.
Old 09-05-10, 01:03 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I now have three more of these upgrades lined up... two for friends and one for my P20.

The skill level required for this is not that high and can be done with hand tools if you have a really good eye for such things... having a shop full of frame tools makes it much easier but the base skills still need to be there.

You can get a decent thread less headset for $20.00 - $25.00 and will need to do some simple calculations as to how much to remove from the headset as the stack height of different headsets varies.
Old 10-25-10, 10:01 PM

Bikes: Torelli Titanio; Serotta Atlanta Concept; Specialized Rockhopper, Raleigh Twenty, Velo Orange Polyvalent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Following the suggestion of TrentValley at the Raleigh Twenty site, I attempted this modification using a 28.6mm seatpost clamp. I got the Sinz clamp, because it looked like the shortest clamp. I dremeled off the lip so it would go down onto the steerer. I used a Tange Technoglide TG32STR threadless headset because it looked to have a very low rise. With that combo, I was able to install the headset without cutting the headtube. With the seatpost clamp and both nuts from the original Raleigh headset, I expect this to remain tight. I did find that installing the quill stem with the seatpost clamp tightened was not possible.
Old 10-25-10, 10:36 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by November
I'll do that on my "next" R20. Just found THIS on ebay.
And I found THIS in that auction:
Q: Hi. Do you know the OLD on this hub? Thanks.
A: It has been stored for about 5 years. It is probably 5 years old.
Old 10-27-10, 07:38 AM

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by harlond
Following the suggestion of TrentValley at the Raleigh Twenty site, I attempted this modification using a 28.6mm seatpost clamp. I got the Sinz clamp, because it looked like the shortest clamp. I dremeled off the lip so it would go down onto the steerer. I used a Tange Technoglide TG32STR threadless headset because it looked to have a very low rise. With that combo, I was able to install the headset without cutting the headtube. With the seatpost clamp and both nuts from the original Raleigh headset, I expect this to remain tight. I did find that installing the quill stem with the seatpost clamp tightened was not possible.
Photos of this would be great.
Old 10-27-10, 11:39 AM

Bikes: Torelli Titanio; Serotta Atlanta Concept; Specialized Rockhopper, Raleigh Twenty, Velo Orange Polyvalent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kingfish254
Photos of this would be great.
This do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
R20headset..jpg (37.3 KB, 66 views)