Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How to tell if a fork is Hi-ten or Cro-mo?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-11, 12:37 AM
Made in Taiwan

Bikes: Camerotti ti roadbike, Old Sears Free Spirit Tange Hi-Ten Single Speed built from a 12 speed, 1997 Cannondale CAD3 r500 with Shimano 6400 groupset

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

I was browsing my local Craigslist and came across a posting for a fork. But it does not state whether it is high tensile steel or Chromoly. How will I be able to tell when I go look at it in person?

The fork in question is chromed with the original paint flaking off. I was hoping to strip the paint, cut and re-tap the steerer tube to fit one of my Japanese frames. But by just looking at the pictures I can't tell if the fork in question is a good quality one or not.

Here is the CL post.
https://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...197566471.html
Old 02-11-11, 12:51 AM
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
The fork has Tange forged dropouts and a Tange mark on the steerer, both are good signs. The sloping fork crown looks nice. It's not, but it reminds me of the sloping Cinelli fork crowns on the early Raleigh Professionals.

Anyway, maybe someone can say what Tange OL is. Looks pretty decent though.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 02-11-11, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It appears CroMo. Tange is a type of nice CroMo steel. Other signs that this is a good fork: forged fork ends and chrome (even though it doesn't look very shiny).
Old 02-11-11, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Judging by the crowns and drop outs, I don't see how this fork could be hi-ten. I'm dealing with a bike with a Tange Magolly fork right now, crude would be an understatement. That one looks refined. I'd go for it.
Old 02-11-11, 05:42 AM
Made in Taiwan

Bikes: Camerotti ti roadbike, Old Sears Free Spirit Tange Hi-Ten Single Speed built from a 12 speed, 1997 Cannondale CAD3 r500 with Shimano 6400 groupset

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I e-mail the seller and is waiting for a reply. Will post an update as soon as I hear anything back.
Old 02-11-11, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Drop it in a 10 foot deep swimming pool, if it takes 2 seconds or less to hit the bottom its hi tensile, if it takes more than 2 seconds its cro-mo. If it doesnt sink it means the pool is frozen and you need to move to Florida.
Old 02-11-11, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
The fork has Tange forged dropouts and a Tange mark on the steerer, both are good signs. The sloping fork crown looks nice. It's not, but it reminds me of the sloping Cinelli fork crowns on the early Raleigh Professionals.

Anyway, maybe someone can say what Tange OL is. Looks pretty decent though.
It's probably Tange zero-L, as opposed to oh-L. It was common for Tange to use a two character, numeric-alpha date code. Zero represents the last digit of the year (i.e. 1970, 1980, 1990, etc.), while L corresponds to December. Based on the presence of eyelets and a recessed brake mount, 1980 is the most likely candidate.

Assuming the era and given the presence of forged dropouts, sloping crown and a recessed brake mount, it's highly unlikely that the blades are hi-tensile steel.

However, I am curious why the OP is interested in this fork, at that price. The price is quite high for a used CrMo fork. My supplier offers aftermarket, chrome, CrMo forks with sloping crown for the same price. At least with an aftermarket fork you get a warranty and you know that it is "show" chrome. With a painted fork, manufacturers typically would not take the time and money to polish the steel, resulting in a scratchy chrome. The only advantage to the used fork would be if the steerer was cut to the exact length the OP required. In fact, if the OP will require an LBS to cut the steerer and new threads, it may be cheaper to buy an aftermarket fork. An LBS will often reduce the labour and/or fork price by a small amount, if they are selling the part and doing the work.

Before he buys, the OP should enquire whether the fork is for 27" or 700C wheels. While there is only 4mm difference in the brake radius, it can cause problems, depending in which brakes the OP is planning to use. I would suggest taking a measurement from the center of a mounted axle to the center of the brake mounting hole and comparing it to with a known fork.
Old 02-12-11, 12:18 PM
Made in Taiwan

Thanks for all the information guys. But as of now, the seller still has not returned any of my communication.

T-Mar
I am interested in the fork I guess for a couple of reasons. One being that I just have an affection for Tange stuff. The bicycle that this fork would be intended for is a 80's Nishiki International with Tange No.2 tubing. That bike has a chrome fork already and it is perfectly functional but it is not a very elegant one, but very functional. So, the main reason is just looks, the fork that is listed in that CL listing just has lines that looks pleasing to my eyes. Purely an aesthetics thing. A bonus would be that I get to get my hands dirty tinkering with that fork until it became what I need.

T-mar, since the seller is not replying to me, can you give me a little more information in regards to the after market forks you mentioned? I would need a fork that takes 700c wheels, with a long reach brake mount (45-55mm) and fender eyelets.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-16-11, 08:44 PM
Made in Taiwan

Finally went to look at the fork in question. The lines were beautiful, chrome looked to be in good shape underneath the paint. Plus, managed to talk the price down. Right size and everything, 700c with 45-55mm brake reach.

BUT, I went to put the caliper to the crown race seat and it came up 27mm!! The fork is from J.I.S. bike! In the end, I walked away empty handed. It would have been too much extra to get a new headset and try to DIY a fit for the headset cups.