Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Soul Wheel Owners... Post your pics

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Soul Wheel Owners... Post your pics

Old 06-11-12, 10:17 PM
Guitar Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 06-12-12, 01:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 06-12-12, 07:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dcmkx2000
Anyone ever have a clicking when climbing out of the saddle and it end up being the bladed spokes on the rear clicking where they cross?

s3.0 xperts
That doesn't sound too healthy. As I understand it, spokes will only click where they cross if one of them has gone into compression, bowed and then clicked against the other spoke as it tightened up. Received wisdom has it that when spokes completely lose tension in their load cycle they are subject to early fatigue failure at the j.

I have wondered about the durability of Soul wheels for just this reason. The Prodigy hubs have a very wide flange spacing and while this is good for wheel bracing it creates a big tension discrepancy between the drive side and non-drive side spokes. Maximum tension on the drive side is constrained by the maximum that the rim can handle. Minimum tension on the non-drive side is then constrained by the minimum tension required to centre the rim so with light rims that cant support a lot of tension and a big tension discrepancy its very easy to find your NDS spoke have insufficient tension to avoid losing all tension at the bottom of their load cycle.

I have been waiting for reports of either rim failure from over tensioning or NDS spoke failure from under tensioning. If they are not failing I'd like to know how this difficulty has been avoided.

Last edited by Eich; 06-12-12 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-12-12, 08:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And surprise surprise, they have not failed..... Most people's understanding of wheel building is from what they read on the internet, we are not the first wheel company to use such large bracing angles, and there is no secret why all those that have test very well for lateral stiffness. Bladed spokes do not click, spokes for that matter do not click as it is almost impossible to replicate the sound you get from squeezing two spokes together when you load a rim while riding. There are many other reasons why there would be a clicking sound from the rear by the OP though, but it's impossible for us to diagnose unless we ride those wheels ourselves. It may even work out to be something else, and we can't know for sure just like any other clicking sound on a bike.

Originally Posted by Eich
That doesn't sound too healthy. As I understand it, spokes will only click where they cross if one of them has gone into compression, bowed and then clicked against the other spoke as it tightened up. Received wisdom has it that when spokes completely lose tension in their load cycle they are subject to early fatigue failure at the j.

I have wondered about the durability of Soul wheels for just this reason. The Prodigy hubs have a very wide flange spacing and while this is good for wheel bracing it creates a big tension discrepancy between the drive side and non-drive side spokes. Maximum tension on the drive side is constrained by the maximum that the rim can handle. Minimum tension on the non-drive side is then constrained by the minimum tension required to centre the rim so with light rims that cant support a lot of tension and a big tension discrepancy its very easy to find your NDS spoke have insufficient tension to avoid losing all tension at the bottom of their load cycle.

I have been waiting for reports of either rim failure from over tensioning or NDS spoke failure from under tensioning. If they are not failing I'd like to know how this difficulty has been avoided.
Old 06-18-12, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eich

When I hear a noise I get impatient when trying to fix it. Turns out it wasn't the wheels. It was either the new skewers that I lubed, or I put new cleats on my shoes (old ones had 4000 miles). With carbon bikes I can't believe how sound is transmitted through the frame. I actually thought it was the bottom bracket and ordered tools to take it apart and check it. At least I got some new tools. I have had new skewers click and squeak before. Any thing on a bike can make noise, and for someone who is ocd like me, it can drive you nuts.

By the way...........I LOVE MY SOUL WHEELS AND HAVE NOT REGRETTED MY PURCHASE ONE BIT.........THANX SEAN.

Last edited by Dcmkx2000; 06-18-12 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-18-12, 03:51 PM

Bikes: Caad 9.5, Madone 6 series, Speed Concept 7 series.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soulbike
Hey! Stop stealing my thunder!!! lol. Awesome awesome looking bike btw.
Sean, send your thunder my way!!! =P
I could really use a disk, or disk cover. =P
Old 06-20-12, 08:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And surprise surprise, they have not failed..... Most people's understanding of wheel building is from what they read on the internet, we are not the first wheel company to use such large bracing angles, and there is no secret why all those that have test very well for lateral stiffness. ....
No other brand of the hub sets I've looked at uses such a wide bracing angle. Some proprietary wheels that do have wide bracing angles use very high spoke tensions. As lateral wheel bracing is a good thing and can be easily achieved with widely spaced flanges I would assume there is a good reason for others not doing it. I'm very curious as to whether your design is sound in the face of received wisdom to the contrary. I'm looking for an ah-ha moment because waiting for reports is a little tedious.

If your design is sound why is it so? Do you use very high spoke tensions? If so how do your rims survive? Do you use an especially highly fatigue resistant steel alloy for the spokes? Or is the rest of the industry over cautious?
Old 06-20-12, 11:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No other taiwanese branded hubset uses wide bracing angles because most are copies of shimano flange spacings or from the bigger brands that they are sub-contracting for. In fact you will start seeing wider flange spacings coming out from taiwanese hub manufacturers as a copy of our designs, but majority of people do not understand the requirements of wide flange based wheels. Proprietory wheels are what we sell and other brands like campagnolo, zipp and the new shimano wheels also have wide flange spacings, there are many reasons for not doing wide flange spaced designs and I do not wish to go into it here. All wheel brands have different emphasis and wheel design and building is a compromise of many factors. What we have learnt about wheel design are based on many years of experimenting and building thousands of wheels with components that we have invested our own money into developing just for the sake of trying to create a wheelset that offers particular sets of attributes. We do not use any special alloys for our rims or spokes for the sake of having wide flanges. Do not group together all the wheel brands you see on online forums as the 'rest of the industry' as that is false. Alot of wheel brands use generic parts purchased as open molds which I have highlighted previously are copies of shimano hub shapes which is why to the casual observer it appears as if we are the only ones doing so. Building with wide flange spacings especially on the rear requires more attention while building though, the margin of error is alot lower but the benefits we feel outweigh the hassles.

Last edited by soulbike; 06-21-12 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-24-12, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dwatson
I would wait until the end of May, as the 2.0 and 3.0 are going though a redesign. They will be 23mm and that is all that Sean let out of the bag.
Just about to order my second set of S3s. Any idea whether the they are selling the new design by now?

Sean?
Old 09-02-12, 12:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New S3.0s. Awesome so far!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo (23).jpg (97.0 KB, 171 views)
Old 09-22-12, 08:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a set of CA5.0 earlier this year. Had a wait longer than expected but it was worth the wait.
The wheels weighed in at 1650gm bare instead of the claimed 1600gm. Not an issue to me but I have related this to Sean.

Check this thread: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...hp?f=3&t=98152

The CA5.0 is my all rounder wheels, climbs, flat, rolling. The wheels are ok for climb, on flat it works great >35kph. Wheels are great for twisty descents, can take corners with confidence and it coasts down long downhill with great speed. Just tuck the body down and the bike pick up speed in a snap of the fingers. Suffer a little on the climb but gain back on descent.

Only done about 400km on these wheels, so far no issues even with few rides on rutty roads. Still true but i'm considered lightweight at 60kg (~130lbs)

I also have the Shimano Dura Ace C24 (1380) clinchers which I occasionally used for climbs. Between the 2, definitely can feel significant difference on climb. On the CA5.0, i have the 12-27 cassette and on the DA C24, i have the 12-25 cassette. On the steeper climbs (> 10%), where i need to go 39x27 on the CA5.0, I can make do with 39x25 on the lighter C24 with about the same effort. So for those deciding between S2.0 or CA5.0, if you want to suffer less on climbs, go for S2.0. But if u want all rounder training wheels CA5.0 is great. And get the S2.0 for climbing races..

Only thing i would change on these wheels is the freehub sound. Prefer it to be quieter. Maybe I'm spoilt by the much stealthier freehub sound on the C24 and the Shimano 105 7-speed wheelhub on my classic Raleigh.
Old 09-22-12, 08:19 PM

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
34 pages? jubus are souls like the best wheel since sliced bread or twhat?
Old 09-22-12, 09:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Bain
34 pages? jubus are souls like the best wheel since sliced bread or twhat?
In the case of the CA5.0, similar products would be from HED and Mavic which would costs 1.5 to 2x more. Not to say it's the best wheel since sliced bread, just that it's more of a value for money product.
Old 09-23-12, 09:38 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are your CA5.0 on wider rims? I thought he was going to go to a wider rim on some of the wheels.
Old 09-23-12, 09:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwatson
Are your CA5.0 on wider rims? I thought he was going to go to a wider rim on some of the wheels.
Mine was the 20mm width rim, before the design revision...
Old 10-03-12, 12:55 PM

Bikes: '09 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 12-05-12, 08:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Come on people, don't let this thread get lost!!

Pics from my last 70.3 of the season.- two weeks ago. C6s have been going strong after a year of consistent use. Still rolling true.

Faced some gnarly crosswinds but the C6s behaved as expected... and of course, they out rolled plenty of high-end designs.

Couldn't be happier with them.

Sean,
Any word on discs? I have a couple of 70.3s this season where a disc (disc cover) would be optimal.

Last edited by BayAreaUser; 01-31-13 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-05-12, 08:53 PM
i got nothing.

Bikes: 13 BH G6 with SRAM Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sean, Any word on updating the website?
Old 12-06-12, 05:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crash716
Sean, Any word on updating the website?
Hi guys,

It's been awhile, glad to see everyone still enjoying the wheels we put out. Those pics look really good bayareauser! Would be great if we could use those on our new website!!! In the meantime, since you asked crash, the new products are finally ready but it's been a really long journey and with new camera in hand, new home photo studio setup, and a new website interface to navigate aka wordpress (yes.... doing it all myself again), the new site is finally taking shape. You can see it being developed here, please don't expect wonders, I'm not a web designer, and until it goes live, the specs and contents are still being worked on. But you get to see some of the new wheels we have been working on for the last year and a half now. Enjoy:

https://beta.bikesoul.com
Old 12-06-12, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Looking good Sean, the new web page is coming along. Will the S3.0 not be offered with two options next year?
Old 12-07-12, 05:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sean,
Feel free to use them. I'll email you a couple of pics later today. Glad to hear everything is going well on your end.
Hi guys,

It's been awhile, glad to see everyone still enjoying the wheels we put out. Those pics look really good bayareauser! Would be great if we could use those on our new website!!! In the meantime, since you asked crash, the new products are finally ready but it's been a really long journey and with new camera in hand, new home photo studio setup, and a new website interface to navigate aka wordpress (yes.... doing it all myself again), the new site is finally taking shape. You can see it being developed here, please don't expect wonders, I'm not a web designer, and until it goes live, the specs and contents are still being worked on. But you get to see some of the new wheels we have been working on for the last year and a half now. Enjoy:

https://beta.bikesoul.com
Old 12-07-12, 05:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_1029.jpg (101.1 KB, 104 views)
Old 12-07-12, 11:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great job on the new website Sean! I'm really looking forward to your new wheels as it looks like you've really embraced the 23mm wide trend. I'll be ordering a set of the new S3.0 as soon as they become available!
Old 12-08-12, 12:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seymour1910
Looking good Sean, the new web page is coming along. Will the S3.0 not be offered with two options next year?
Hi Seymour,

For now we will be introducing the S3.0s as they are shown on the site. We have some plans for the revised S3.0Xperts but there are some financial constraints to consider as they are considerably cheaper but we don't want to sacrifice anything in terms of quality. We also don't want to be selling the same wheel without much improvement. Balancing improvement without any cost implications is hard....
Old 12-08-12, 12:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fureshi
Great job on the new website Sean! I'm really looking forward to your new wheels as it looks like you've really embraced the 23mm wide trend. I'll be ordering a set of the new S3.0 as soon as they become available!
The S2.0s and S3.0s are already available for sale.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.