Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Advice on water purifiers and Western Express W-E in Utah

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-11, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm currently on a solo tour from New Orleans to Phoenix and will turn north around the Grand Canyon to link up with the Western Express near Cedar City, then head east to Illinois.

I need advice on water purifiers to carry. Which have served you well?

I also need advice on the Western Express route conditions in southern Utah in late April, early May.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
Nick Poggioli
https://www.ninasbuick.com
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/photobike2011
Old 03-19-11, 08:23 AM
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
Check out this article on water filters and this one on water purification methods.

Check out this article on water stops on Hwy 50 in Nevada.

Ray
Old 03-19-11, 09:20 AM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of water filter takes ratioactive particles out of the water?
Old 03-19-11, 10:48 AM
mje

Bikes: Trek Domane, Specialized Sequoia, Cannondale RT3000

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Radioactive particles are atoms or ions of particular elements. You can't easily separate the radioactive isotopes from the nonradioactive isotopes (if any), so you need to try to remove the element entirely. If the element is insoluble, just allowing suspended particles in the water to settle may be sufficient. If soluble, you'd need some chemistry to know what to add to form an insoluble compound that will precipitate.
Old 03-19-11, 11:04 AM
But wait... I AM the man.

Bikes: Merlin Extralight DA, 1982 Peugeot CFX-10 Campy NR, 7 Cruisers kept at beach, Raleigh Passage 4.0 hybrid, Marin Commuter with racks and bags

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A little radioactivity never hurt anyone. Just ask a submariner.

Southern Utah should be pretty warm in late April, even at elevation. I've spent a lot of time there cyclotouring and backpacking. First week of April tends to be seventies day/fifties at night, at least in my experience in the Escalante Staircase, Moab, Hanksville, Canyonlands areas. But temps start climbing quickly as early-spring morphs into late spring.
Old 03-20-11, 05:43 AM

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 1,163 Posts
Why are you looking to buy a filter? Different filters and purifiers have different characteristics, you need to know what the risk is that you are trying to avoid.

I use a ceramic filter that also has an activated carbon filter. Expensive and heavy. But, if my concern was for viruses, I would have to use different or additional equipment or chemicals.

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
A little radioactivity never hurt anyone. Just ask a submariner.
Error. Submariners are shielded from a lot of the radioactivity from the sun by several hundred feet of water. Any radioactivity from the propulsion system and/or weapons is tiny compared to the radioactivity from the sun due to internal shielding.
Old 03-20-11, 09:40 AM
But wait... I AM the man.

Bikes: Merlin Extralight DA, 1982 Peugeot CFX-10 Campy NR, 7 Cruisers kept at beach, Raleigh Passage 4.0 hybrid, Marin Commuter with racks and bags

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Why are you looking to buy a filter? Different filters and purifiers have different characteristics, you need to know what the risk is that you are trying to avoid.

I use a ceramic filter that also has an activated carbon filter. Expensive and heavy. But, if my concern was for viruses, I would have to use different or additional equipment or chemicals.

Error. Submariners are shielded from a lot of the radioactivity from the sun by several hundred feet of water. Any radioactivity from the propulsion system and/or weapons is tiny compared to the radioactivity from the sun due to internal shielding.
You must not be aware of the presence of uranium and plutonium in the ground in southern Utah. This is what the OP is trying to guard against with his water filter. Not the sun's rays, which would seem to be impervious to even the most efficient water filter.
Old 03-20-11, 09:55 AM

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get yourself a particle filter(panty hose or coffee filter wll do)and purify with tabs, or boiling. Simple, cheap, and effective.
Old 03-20-11, 11:32 AM

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been on the Western Express through Utah. Names like "Poison Creek" kinda indicate that the water is a little sketchy. Water filters do nothing for heavy metals, radioactive or not, so when traveling through "badlands" carry water, don't think about filtering. Glen Canyon Reservoir can be filtered from, but when I was there in June 2009 there was a store where water could be purchased. You get alot of bad advice in this forum, but you'll be OK if you use your noggin. If plants aren't growing around a water source, there's a reason for it.
Old 03-20-11, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You must not be aware of the presence of uranium and plutonium in the ground in southern Utah. This is what the OP is trying to guard against with his water filter. Not the sun's rays, which would seem to be impervious to even the most efficient water filter.
The radioactivity of the uranium (plutonium does not occur naturally) is not really a problem, but it is a highly toxic heavy metal apart from the radiation. But the most dangerous poison that you are likely to find in water sources in Utah is arsenic. One tip that I have heard (from Edward Abbey; I haven't actually filtered water in Utah, and would use the filter only as a last resort) is to see how much vegetation is growing around the spring/stream that you find. If the water is crystal-clear, that indicates that there is arsenic and probably other poisons present. If there is pond scum and algae in the water, its probably OK to filter.
Old 03-21-11, 08:06 AM

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 1,163 Posts
I was commenting on your implication that submariners are exposed to high levels of radiation.

The original question said nothing about radioactivity.
Old 03-22-11, 02:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice, all. I think I'll go with tabs as a last resort and try to carry enough water to get me through each day's ride or each stretch of days without services.

NoGaBiker, I didn't realize it would be that warm. Maybe I'll be able to offload some of my warm clothing when I get there!
Old 03-23-11, 09:53 AM
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
For my camping and backpacking in southern Utah I use my Sweetwater filter. It is easy to clean in the field when water is silty, which it often is in the high desert. I don't use the filter much on bike touring as I'm not above asking passing motorists if they have extra water. There will be a moderate amount of traffic on the roads.

Spring tends to be quite windy on the Colorado Plateau. Last April we tried to do a big tour from Grand Junction, CO, down around southern UT. We planned on a 1200 mile loop back to GJ. We made it 250 miles (Monticello, UT) before wild south winds (headwinds) and snow forced us to call for a car ride home.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 03-23-11, 12:39 PM
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Are you coming through western Colorado? I have toured and/or driven many of the roads in southwestern Colorado and can offer advice on routes.
We are also on warmshowers or you can PM me.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR