Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

RICARDO rebuild

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

RICARDO rebuild

Old 04-09-11, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 146 Posts
RICARDO rebuild

G'day all I'm about to really get into rebuilding this ricardo varsity and add an extra bike to the stable if your've never heard of the brand before ricardo's were made in australia in my home town of adelaide.
They went out of business around 1990 after a long history here so have become a icon vintage brand.
There is nothing special about this particular bike component wise but I plan to change out the wheels and drive chain with something better from the period.
Also I plan to get the frame powder coated black and have everything that was unpainted alloy or chrome polished like a mirror.
Other new parts include inner outer cables, white bar tape, tires everything else I believe is usable and it will have more modern peddels seat and post.
I still havent looked into getting the decals reproduced yet but will see a sign writer and see what it can do as there not available to buy.
It was sitting in one of our sheds for at least 15 years and dosent look like its had much use, just left sitting to long the perished tires still hold all there pressure a week after I pumped them up. I always knew it was there but never looked at it till recently.
I'll try to make progress reports as I go.
[IMG]
[/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-09-11, 06:56 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2896 Post(s)
Liked 2,784 Times in 1,441 Posts
Hello jbchybridrider, interesting looking bike. personally if it if a iconic local bike I would not do much to the frame. I would see how the paint cleans and waxes up before thinking of powdercoat.

regadless I can't wait to see it cleaned and rebuilt

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-09-11, 08:37 AM

Thanks mate since the photo I tried to polish some parts of the frame but its quite faded on the top side of the tubes where all the dirt settled on it and I aim to to get the new look again.
Also it was never one of ricardos high end bikes and dont think the original paint quality was very good the only thing that bothers me is losing the original decals.
Just today I striped it to a bear frame and tomorrow will take to a sign writer and see what he says about making stickers or hopefully he can push me in the right direction. Here's hoping.
Old 04-09-11, 09:01 AM

Bikes: Monark sportser 1970, Monark sportser 1970ish, Monark folder, Mustand 1985, Monark Tempo 1999, Monark 318 1975, Crescent 319 1979, Crescent 325 c:a 1965, Crescent Starren 2002 (hybrid/sport), Nordstjernan 1960`s cruiser.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, clean up. Shimano stuff on it?
Old 04-09-11, 10:00 AM
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Personally I'd touch up the top tube with some black spraypaint, clean up the frame and components and Ride it hard.

Take the time to ride the bike a few hundred miles before you decide if you like it enough to warrant all that work.

just my opinion because I've made that mistake.
Old 04-09-11, 10:21 AM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 2395 Post(s)
Liked 4,337 Times in 2,070 Posts
Polish or PC - doesn't matter. It isn't a particularly special frame, and I dare say that there may have been better models made under that private label.

-Kurt

Old 04-09-11, 11:43 AM

Yes there was four models higher than this one components were different but this one has a steel frame old brochure's say the top models had chrome moly frames.
Standard components for mine shimano RS derailliers and shifters, shimano tourney calipers, sugino cranks, stars brake levers "very light" and the funny part the bars are cheap steel but the exposed part near the stem is wrapped in alloy to make it look quality.
The interesting part for where I live is the frame was made in my home town. There's joke's and much interest in the brand where I live.
People actually raced them till the mid 90's.
Old 04-09-11, 12:08 PM

Bikes: Monark sportser 1970, Monark sportser 1970ish, Monark folder, Mustand 1985, Monark Tempo 1999, Monark 318 1975, Crescent 319 1979, Crescent 325 c:a 1965, Crescent Starren 2002 (hybrid/sport), Nordstjernan 1960`s cruiser.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
Yes there was four models higher than this one components were different but this one has a steel frame old brochure's say the top models had chrome moly frames.
Standard components for mine shimano RS derailliers and shifters, shimano tourney calipers, sugino cranks, stars brake levers "very light" and the funny part the bars are cheap steel but the exposed part near the stem is wrapped in alloy to make it look quality.
The interesting part for where I live is the frame was made in my home town. There's joke's and much interest in the brand where I live.
People actually raced them till the mid 90's.

There you are! Make it spin again.
Old 04-09-11, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Strewth ! Did you haul that out of the sheep dip ? Good luck with the rebuild mate.
Old 04-09-11, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's some pics of one of the better ricardo models:

Old 04-10-11, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by roshgosh
Strewth ! Did you haul that out of the sheep dip ? Good luck with the rebuild mate.
Your not far of the mark there mate. I live on a 150+ year old farm property there's sheds everywhere.
There was a even older northern star sitting with it might restore that next it needs all new components.
Just today I found my old Raleigh Scorpio from the 70's hadent seen that since the mid 80's. I thought that was gone for good.
Old 04-10-11, 04:06 AM

[QUOTE=minority;12483621]Here's some pics of one of the better ricardo models:

I'll swap you for the varsity.
Old 04-10-11, 04:12 AM

Bikes: Casati, ,Peugot,Mitchell,Raliegh,Nishiki

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here is my "Ricardo" which I rebuilt just to see how it came up,pretty well I think for an old bike from late 60,s early 70,s (not quite sure which)did,nt reallyneed it but $1,50 from a garage sale,well honestly how could I say no ?
Old 04-10-11, 04:18 AM

The bike has been totally pulled apart. Today finished cleaning and polishing bars, stem and headset only took 4 hours.
Old 04-10-11, 04:34 AM

[QUOTE=ozneddy;12484804]Here is my "Ricardo" which I rebuilt just to see how it came up,pretty well I think for an old bike from late 60,s early 70,s (not quite sure which)did,nt reallyneed it but $1,50 from a garage sale,well honestly how could I say no ?

Thats a lovely bike mate. Like the chrome stays and fork. The bar stem and cranks cant be original and I would say its from the mid to late 70s.
You've partly solved a mystery I see you have center pull brakes. I found a Raleigh frame from the same period with center pull brakes and was scratching my head as I dident think they were around then.
Old 04-11-11, 04:11 AM

Bikes: Casati, ,Peugot,Mitchell,Raliegh,Nishiki

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I personally prefer centrepulls,gives equal pressure on both side,s of rim and looks Bl#*dy good too !
Old 04-22-11, 03:00 AM

Well finally last thursday I got the frame back from the powder coater, It only took them a week and a half and I've had a bit of a play with it.
I've bought white bar tape and cables a new headset is in the post the original one has rust pits wheels are in the post to and rear derallier hanger and maybe in a couple of days vintage deralliers, brake levers,calipers,crankset in the pic's for now I've put on my 1030 gram carbon wheels from my f3-13 pinarello and I dont think there to out of place on a old bike.
So I'm well and truly committed now.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-22-11, 03:06 AM

Why is it photo's can show how bad thing were but never how good things are.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-22-11, 03:19 AM
R20, 650B, Touring

Bikes: Oh dear.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Great to see Aussie bikes gettin' some attention! Bill P
Old 04-24-11, 06:03 AM

Today I finished polishing the original brake calipers and they came up pretty good I,m keeping them because of there long reach.
Its just a pity they dont have a quick release to remove the wheel and I think they'll be a bugger to set up when I start riding, so I'll see how it go's.
I've got 11 items in the post now and need to wait for some to arrive before I can do anymore.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by jbchybridrider; 04-24-11 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-24-11, 11:08 AM
WJV

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice work! I like the black, white and silver theme. If you are committed to keeping your brakes you could pick up some tektro/cane-creek levers that have a quick release on the lever itself. But they dont look C&V...

Cheers,
WjV
Old 04-24-11, 01:43 PM

Bikes: Vintage Schwinn--still researching

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paint looks great. Cant wait to see the bike fully restored!
Old 05-01-11, 07:02 AM

Just a quick update, still waiting for a lot of parts.
I have got the crank though, its a ultegra FC-6500 its not vintage but I always wanted to update the drivetrain.
It was only $28 on ebay and in shocking condition unfortunately the chain rings were nackerd "extra costs". There's plenty in the post and its driving me nut waiting but I'll survive "I think".
I wont put anymore full bike pic's up until its finished but I would love to see more ricardo's people have and add to the great one's other people have put on my thread.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-01-11, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by WJV
Nice work! I like the black, white and silver theme. If you are committed to keeping your brakes you could pick up some tektro/cane-creek levers that have a quick release on the lever itself. But they dont look C&V...

Cheers,
WjV
I have lovely vintage NOS dura-ace levers in the post with black levers and white hoods. I'm dying waiting.
Old 05-01-11, 02:01 PM

Bikes: 84' Ciocc, 79' Shogun 1000, 76' KHS Gran Sport, 96' Schwinn Super Sport,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like your having a great time, best of local bikes. I have a Schwinn that weighs like a tank, but it's American and I like the way I fixed it up. Do for yourself what makes you feel good. I have a Shogun that I polished the Tourney brakes untill they sparkled too, later I went with dual pivot Cannondale brakes. Once again, great job your doing and want to see more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.