Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Titan Bicycles of Switzerland

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Titan Bicycles of Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 01:07 AM
wildjim

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Last edited by wildjim; 10-02-06 at 06:03 PM.

Old 11-08-04, 10:18 AM
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Bikes: yeah; got a couple...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grab it if it fits. That's the same paint mine has... Looks cool. Well worth what they sell for.
Old 11-08-04, 12:39 PM
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know that the rear drop-outs are Campagnolo 1010b, frame tubes some flavor of Columbus (probably SLX; 27.2 seatpost, and ribbing in main tubes at BB), and that it comes with a generic chromed Tange threadless fork. Rear spacing looks like 126mm. Build quality looks good, but not really "artful". A nice, Italian race frame.
The seller packs pretty well. Should be a great rider (haven't built mine yet), with unusual looking smoked paint. I think you'll like it; you got one of the better ones. Some of those Titan frames used lesser Aelle tube sets, and had the uglier brake bridge. Still, you can't beat 'em for that price!
Old 11-08-04, 03:22 PM
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I get to it, I'll build it with whatever I have laying around (probably late Super Record) & see how it feels. I really didn't need it, but I figured at that low price, I'd grab one while they're available.... I've had it for about 6 months now, hanging in the garage (with a dozen other frames waiting to be built...).
Old 11-08-04, 06:32 PM
lurking nightrider

Bikes: '84 Lotus Supreme, '85 Club Fuji, '86 Schwinn Peloton, '87 DS Ironman Expert, '87 Maruishi Professional, '88 Takara

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
wildjim,

I have a Titan frame from the same seller which has been built into a great ride. It also has SLX tubing(takes a 27.0 seatpost) but doesn't have the schnazzy paint job yours has. If you'd like to see pics I have them posted at the following link: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ighlight=titan

Components are a mix of Chorus and Record. The ride is very solid and gets looks whenever I take it out. You're gonna love yours too!
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys." Orson Welles
Old 11-08-04, 07:43 PM
lurking nightrider

Bikes: '84 Lotus Supreme, '85 Club Fuji, '86 Schwinn Peloton, '87 DS Ironman Expert, '87 Maruishi Professional, '88 Takara

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
The only snag was not finding an NOS Campy 27.0 seatpost I went with the Synchros for that reason. I'm 6'4" and the frame is just a bit small for me at 60cm. The Synchros post works perfectly, is 250mm and is still lighter (7075-T6 aluminum) than any Campy post from the 80's.

All in all, the build went without any mishap. I've since changed to a lighter wheelset, and NOS Chorus aero-toeclip pedals are on the bike.

Are you going to be installing new or vintage parts on your frame?
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys." Orson Welles
Old 11-08-04, 09:49 PM
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LittleGinseng
wildjim,

I have a Titan frame from the same seller which has been built into a great ride. It also has SLX tubing(takes a 27.0 seatpost) but doesn't have the schnazzy paint job yours has. If you'd like to see pics I have them posted at the following link: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ighlight=titan

Components are a mix of Chorus and Record. The ride is very solid and gets looks whenever I take it out. You're gonna love yours too!
She's a beauty!

I was hoping to find the Titan bar/stem combo for mine, but all I've seen are longer lengths than the 90-100mm I neded. I like that question you got: "do you really ride with toe clips?"... too funny. They're all I'm used to as well.
Old 11-21-04, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, some of these frames look nice, do you guys who have bought one know if these frame will handle short reach brakes 39 mm to 49 mm, I just purchased a new in box suntour sprint 9000 group and these looks like great frames for a nice clasic road
Old 11-23-04, 11:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
found this link in one of the other forums, this guy has a web site with piles of titan but it looks like he may have sold out the stuff to countryside. He was advertizing in the forum, $300 us delivered complete bike with new suntour cyclone components (1990 vintage i guess) but that was in 2003 and there is no response from my e-mails check the site, lots of nice frames https://www.velomech.ch/
Old 12-04-04, 02:54 PM
wildjim

I have completed one of the two Titan Bicycles. . .

Frame Date: Approximately 20 Years Old (NOS)

Frame Size: 53cm

Frame Material: Columbus SLX - Steel

Color: Gray/Black Marble with White Heart De Rosa Lugs Varnished By Dossena Carlo Rear Stay Chrome

Drop-Outs: Campagnolo 1010B

Fork: Tange Chrome 1” Threadless

Headset: Ritchey Fuzzy Logic 1” Threadless (Black Top – Silver Bottom)

Handlebar: 3TTT THE XL 31.8 diameter 44cm (Black)

Brake Levers: Mavic - Made by Modolo

Brake Calipers: Campagnolo Stratos

Stem: 3TTT THE XL 100mm length 1 1/8” diameter (1” with shim) 31.8 clamp 80*/100 degree rise (Black)

Seat Post: Ritchey Pro (Black) 27.0

Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Mirage – Italian Threaded

Crankset: Campagnolo Veloce - 172.5 - 39/53 - 9 Speed

Shifters: Campagnolo Valentino Extra (Circa 1968) Clamp On

Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Racing T

Rear Derailleur: Dura Ace

Chain: Dura Ace

Cassette: Ultegra 12-23

Last edited by wildjim; 07-16-06 at 05:47 AM.

Old 12-04-04, 03:13 PM
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOOKS GREAT!

So, how's the ride? (I still haven't started with building mine...)
Old 12-04-04, 03:17 PM
wildjim

Originally Posted by TheOtherGuy
LOOKS GREAT!

I've only rode it around the neighborhood so there is not much I can say but it feels nice so far.

It stayed together

Old 12-05-04, 05:43 PM
wildjim

Originally Posted by TheOtherGuy
LOOKS GREAT!

I got a few more miles on the Titan this Sunday. I climbed "The Wall" and the frame is much stiffer than I expected as did didn't flex at all and climbed like a Billy Goat. The ride is smooth, quiet and stable.

My new favorite. . .

Old 12-13-04, 08:03 AM
wildjim

I added a few more pictures of both Titans. . .

Old 01-28-05, 10:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Folks,

I am new to this forum but I am really excited to find the other folks who have bought the remaining Titan bikes off eBay. I did the same a few months ago. Here's a picture of the bike after it's built up:

What's unique about this Titan frame is the cross-hatch design on the tubing itself:

For a complete description:
https://alicehui.com/serotta/italianb...ian_lugged.htm

As for the ride...I think it's REALLY nice. Just so you know, my point of reference is my favorite Serotta Ti bike and a LOOK carbon, so they are quite different and not exactly comparing apples to apples. But overall, I agree with everyone here, it's a great value for the price.

I have been trying very hard to locate exactly who the framebuilder is in Italy. Does anyone know?

warm regards,

weisan
Old 01-29-05, 07:20 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 637 Posts
Why are you thinking the framebuilder is in Italy?
Old 01-29-05, 07:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, that's what I was told, that it was built in Italy and re-badged for Titan to sell.
The painter himself is from Italy, I think.

I would be interested to hear if you have an alternative viewpoint.

thanks,
weisan
Old 01-29-05, 08:17 AM
wildjim

Originally Posted by gone-bikin
Oh, that's what I was told, that it was built in Italy and re-badged for Titan to sell.
The painter himself is from Italy, I think.

I would be interested to hear if you have an alternative viewpoint.

thanks,
weisan
Consider that the Bottom Bracket is Italian threaded and the Columbus Frame Tubing as it seems many Italian bicycles are built in this manner. The two I have are signed by the Italian artist "Varnished By Dossena Carlo"

Also I agree with you that the ride is exceptional.

Old 01-29-05, 09:47 AM
Señor Member

I don't know anything firsthand. I'd heard Switzerland, and it seems that there is/was a Titan bicycle (possibly not the same one) based, or importing in the US. Not much help I admit, but sometimes much time is spent looking for things in the wrong place.
Old 01-29-05, 10:47 AM
Señor Member

That was the US reference I had seen. I'm still unclear on the purported link to Switzerland
Old 01-29-05, 01:51 PM
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I am not sure if it's ugly or Art?

I think it was intended to be the latter, but unfortunately ended up as the former.
Old 01-29-05, 03:20 PM
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Yeah, art is subjective. The paint on those frames is just too busy to my eye, and the color combinations questionable.
Old 02-01-05, 09:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can understand how the creative exploits by the painter on the frame might not be everyone's cup of tea. For me, there are three things that attracted me to the bike at first:

1) Lugged construction

2) Steel - Columbus SLX

3) My size: 53-54

The rest of it (the cross-hatch on the tubes, the rainbow colors) just came with the complete package, I can't pick and choose. Of course, the fact that it costs less than $200 is selling point too.
Fortunately, after I built it up and rode it, it wasn't that bad...in fact, it gives a very high-quality ride, on par with names like MASI and CIOCC also built in the same vintage years of early-to-mid 80s.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with the purchase. It really completes my desire to have a good quality bike each made of three different materials (steel, ti, carbon) in my stable.

The search continues to verify the original framebuilder...if only I can find someone who used to work for Titan, they might know.

Ride on!

weisan
Old 02-02-05, 10:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! You must have really liked it alot, and I don't blame you a bit 'cos it really is a good frame. Just curious, where you got it? Are they still selling it on eBay. Can you send me the link?

thanks,
weisan
Old 02-03-05, 01:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for posting those links. My friend Frank is bidding on the 55 cm And actually, I got mine from him so he must have regretted ever selling it to me in the first place. Just kidding...

anyway, it looks like we have the same setup. I am running a 53 on a 100mm stem and it fits perfect too. What other bikes do you have in your stable and how do you like them? I would be interested to get your opinions.

I have two other bikes and they are set up slightly differently but not a whole lot. The Serotta Ti is 54 on 105 mm, while the LOOK KG281 carbon is 55 on 110 mm. So, as I gain more flexibility over the season, I move from the steel bike to Ti and finally to the carbon, which has the most stretched out position.

weisan

Last edited by gone-bikin; 02-03-05 at 01:34 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.