Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Looking for Sakae Stainless Toeclips (LARGE)... help?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-20-11, 03:35 PM

Bikes: Surly Long haul Trucker with front and rack Nice Racks, 1984 Colnago Sport, 1983 Raleigh Condor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So as seen is this post I recently finished this Raleigh. It is all original except for the BB, hoods, and chain (and obviously cables, tape etc). It came with Shimano 105 Golden Arrow groupo with Sunshine hubs and Araya rims, and Sakae seatpost, bars, stem, pedals, and toeclips. For some reason the toe clips are a medium even though the bike is pretty big (23.5").

I'd like to have these toe clips on the bike. The straps are in okay condition, but they are just too small for my size 10 feet. They put the ball of my foot right on the back of the pedal.

So here they are:

if anyone has a pair of these in large they'd be willing to part with, trade for these medium, or knows where to find some, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Hughie
Old 06-20-11, 04:20 PM
one life on two wheels

Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Those are cool, I haven't seen SR toe clips before. If you have trouble finding them, Christophe, MKS, Avocet, Cinelli, etc....would be a suitable replacement. I guess if you're wanting to keep with the Japanese theme, MKS would be most appropriate. fyi, size L MKS are larger than size L Christophe clips
Old 06-20-11, 04:34 PM

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone RB-1, '91 Specialized Allez Epic, '85 Raleigh Team Pro, '78 Andre Bertin, early '90s F. Moser Leader AX , '85 Centurion Equipe, '98 Litespeed Tuscany, '89 Klein Quantum, '80 Nishiki Superbe, '83 Peckham, '84 Fuji Opus III

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
You can extend the depth of these by using longer mounting bolts. Instead of mounting them flush against the front plate of the pedal with a short bolt use a longer bolt with nylon spacers to set them forward a desired extra length. I've extended some as much as three quarters of an inch or more.

J
Old 06-20-11, 05:07 PM

Bikes: Surly Long haul Trucker with front and rack Nice Racks, 1984 Colnago Sport, 1983 Raleigh Condor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by afilado
You can extend the depth of these by using longer mounting bolts. Instead of mounting them flush against the front plate of the pedal with a short bolt use a longer bolt with nylon spacers to set them forward a desired extra length. I've extended some as much as three quarters of an inch or more.

J
That's a pretty good tip man, I may try that.

Those are cool, I haven't seen SR toe clips before. If you have trouble finding them, Christophe, MKS, Avocet, Cinelli, etc....would be a suitable replacement. I guess if you're wanting to keep with the Japanese theme, MKS would be most appropriate. fyi, size L MKS are larger than size L Christophe clips
My issue is all the other Sakae stuff on the bike. If it wasn't for that I'd just go with no name. But I'd like to keep the matching Sakae stuff together. Thanks though.
Old 06-20-11, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Are you sure they're stainless steel? Have you tested that with a magnet? The attraction will be very slight if they're stainless. If they really are stainless, I want some!
Old 06-20-11, 07:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oops, that was a brain fart...

However on checking with my bucky balls, the attraction isn't strong enough to hold them up...