Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Canal Fulton - Stoutdog - Historian Ohio Bicycle Adventure

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 07-21-11, 12:27 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Stoutdog couldn't make my first ride on the Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath, so it was a solo trip. And the ride set the tone of the rest of my vacation - warm, sunny weather, good trail conditions, and something to see every mile.

I started south of Akron, near Vanderhoof Road, and was struck by how beautiful the towpath trail was:

I passed through the historic town of Clinton, where I purchased fluid and took photos:

Then down the gravel path to Canal Fulton. I rushed to make the last ride of the day for the canal boat, and just made it. The visitors center held my bike for me while I spent an hour going up and down the canal:

Dan and Prince, our 'motor':

The towpath surface became rougher as I went on. The rains this spring caused some washouts, and the trail surface had a messy 'patch' job. After riding further down the towpath I crossed the river and road and took a parallel trail into Crystal Springs hoping for better conditions:

I crossed the river back to the towpath on the High Bridge in Crystal Springs. This historic span is closed to motor vehicles. A week later I'd be floating a canoe under it.

I stopped at seventeen miles and more than 100 photos for the day, at Bridgeport Quarry trailhead.

Old 07-21-11, 01:26 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Very pretty. For some reason I always had the impression that Ohio was just more great plains. It looks like I was wrong.
Old 07-21-11, 10:38 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by goldfinch
Very pretty. For some reason I always had the impression that Ohio was just more great plains. It looks like I was wrong.
So was I. I found out the name "Akron" derives from the Greek word meaning "high place." When they built the canal through Akron they had to put in 15 locks in about a mile and a half, so great was the elevation change.

Old 07-21-11, 10:40 PM
Still grinding away

Bikes: Scott CR1, Giant Anyroad, Trek 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
North East Ohio is definitely not great plains. Far from it. Most green and rolling hills. Western Ohio flattens out but I still wouldn't consider it "Plains".
Old 07-22-11, 06:57 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc, Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet pics, looks like a nice ride.