Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Signs of the times . . . Bicyclists with: dogs on leashes, cell phones. ear buds .

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Signs of the times . . . Bicyclists with: dogs on leashes, cell phones. ear buds .

Old 07-27-11, 09:37 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

That is - bicycling with the dog on the leash as you bicycle, talking on the cell phone with one hand while bicycling, and covering the ears so you can't hear my valiant "passing."

I guess I am just out of date.

Are you out of date also?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-27-11 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-27-11, 09:49 PM

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do I carry a cell phone while riding ? Yes. But it sits either in a pocket or in a fanny pack for emegencies only.
Do I use ear buds ? Yes I do but I never, ever use them while riding. I like to be able to hear other cyclists and the traffic.
Dogs on leashes ? We don't own a dog and our three Maine Coon cats who are all dog sized at 15 pounds are too busy conserving energy by sleeping in the sun.
Old 07-27-11, 10:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But they are riding a bike.
Old 07-27-11, 10:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't beat the woman renting the house next door to me; I saw her one night on her cruiser, riding the wrong way on my town's main drag, while talking on her cell phone...and smoking.

OTOH, I've seen her drive...there's less chance she'll kill someone if she's riding a bike.
Old 07-27-11, 10:21 PM

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustAHill
Can't beat the woman renting the house next door to me; I saw her one night on her cruiser, riding the wrong way on my town's main drag, while talking on her cell phone...and smoking.

OTOH, I've seen her drive...there's less chance she'll kill someone if she's riding a bike.
At least she's riding a cruiser. Can you imagine her shifting gears ?
Old 07-27-11, 10:30 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
That is - bicycling with the dog on the leash as you bicycle, talking on the cell phone with one hand while bicycling, and covering the ears so you can't hear my valiant "passing."

I guess I am just out of date.

I'm out of date in many ways, but that's because I've managed to stay alive.

I tend to stay off shared paths because of these phenomena, among others. These people are dangerous. The ones I especially like are those who are strident about the importance of safety and wearing a helmet, while cycling the wrong way up one-way streets, failing to use lights, texting while cycling etc. Riding with a dog on a lead is especially good - dangerous unless both dog and rider are exceptionally well-trained (they usually aren't) and pretty unpleasant for the dog, I'd have thought. Dogs generally prefer a bit of variety to being forced to trot along at a given, steady, pace.

As for the earbuds, pedestrians are just as bad, they can't hear you coming.

All things considered I feel much safer on normal roads in the traffic. It doesn't save me from the earbud-wearing, salmoning brigade, but one can probably rely on car drivers to thin them out...
Old 07-27-11, 10:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanknm
At least she's riding a cruiser. Can you imagine her shifting gears ?
LOL...one of my other neighbors accidentally got delivered a piece of her mail; it was a notice that she owes the county traffic courts $1600+. She might be on that bike a lot more in the near future.
Old 07-28-11, 07:23 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Oh yeah! I guess even the screen name says it.

It's been a couple of years but my wife and I were overtaking a fellow while riding our tandem on the Katy Trail. We "dinged" our bell and announced our passing but, just as we drew along side, he swerved into our lane and knocked us down. I wasn't very happy but at least he had the decency to apologize.

He told us that he was wearing ear buds and he thought that our bell might be rocks tumbling down from the bluff.
Old 07-28-11, 08:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have my iPhone right up front mounted on the bars in an awesome case and listen to music while I ride through non-blocking earbuds. If the phone rings, I can push a button on the headset mic and talk while I ride. I guess I'm a modern rider, but an old rider. I like having my tunes and my Runkeeper coaching and status letting me know how the ride is going. I've always been a techie kind of guy though
Old 07-28-11, 08:17 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Signs of the times . . . People on Bicycles with: dogs on leashes, cell phones. ear buds .

fixed it for you
Old 07-28-11, 08:21 AM

Bikes: custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I confess I do use an iPod as I ride but the earbuds are far from sound blocking. I rely on my mirror far more than my ears in any event. But I do find people on cell phones, or worse yet with bluetooth headsets and no obvious phone, very unnerving. Who is that woman talking to & how closely can I safely approach her? I think that the telephone conversation is just as distracting to a rider as it is to a driver in a car. My phone sits in one of my jersey pockets on vibrate, primarily to use the cycling app but it is nice to know I have it if I need help. Dogs on leashes, well it creates another potential hazard to pay close attention to. Since I'm not a dog person I don't understand it but so far most of the people I have encountered riding with dogs have been responsible.
Old 07-28-11, 08:32 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I guess I am.
No dog.
Cell phone stays in the Topeak phone holder. If I get a call I stop the bike to answer and talk.
Ear buds are for when I'm on the trainer.

I see lots of folks around here doing the above. They are usually on the bike path but the bike path ends in several places and you're riding on the street for a block or 6 blocks or 1-1/2 miles or ...... I guess they're more concerned with the dog, phone, or music so aren't paying attention to what's going on around them.

Another thing I've seen on hot days is people riding with their helmet hanging from the handlebars. Are they airing out a stinky helmet?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-28-11, 08:47 AM
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Gee... when riding I like to hear the traffic that might be around me. If there's no traffic around me I like to hear the air rushing by my head. I like to hear that click in my free wheel as I coast down hills, that smooth whirr of my tires tracking the pavement.

When I walk in the woods I like to hear the birds singing, the trees swaying in the wind, the babbling of the brooks. My priorities are all screwed up....
Old 07-28-11, 08:47 AM
Aluminum Convert

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No ear buds here. I do carry my cell phone and my wife will text if it important and I can hear her ring tone when the pone is in the bag. Anything else waits till I stop for a break. I do sometimes wish I could hook an air horn to my bike like I have on my motorcycle. Bells don't always seem to get peoples attention.
Old 07-28-11, 09:38 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
I have to admit, I never understood doing any activity, let alone cycling, with earbuds in. Is it that people feel so uninterested in the activity that they are doing that they need additional sensory impute? Or is it that the sounds they might hear or the thoughts they might have are not intrinsically satisfying? It seems to me the essence of enjoying an activity is total participation in it. But in contemporary society doing more than one thing at a time seems to be the new norm. So I guess I'm completely old fashioned and out of date. I'm very fortunate.
Old 07-28-11, 09:50 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The dog on a leash thing will last until the first time the dog sees a cat.......................bike rider on ground
Old 07-28-11, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Interesting ride on the MUP last night;
A couple walking their dog. The dog was tiny, the people where not, they needed much more exercise. Of course the dog was on an extendable leash. As I approached it gave me the little dog evil eye. If it darted in front of me, and I hit it, it would not have survived. Lucky for everybody, it didn't.
Saw a (I guess) father and son, son had ear buds, father had head phones, that completely covered his ears. I'm glad we passed them from the front.
Then there is the guy riding a bike we had to pass from behind, of course he had ear buds. He was going at a moderate pace, but was all over the path. So we slowed a bit and stayed behind him. Suddenly he started yelling and waving his arm, whatever he was listening to must have been exciting. My wife gave me a look that was priceless. She also rang her bell, to no effect. A minute or two later she yelled loudly, PASSING!. It startled him so much he nearly fell. I nearly fell from laughing. He did look kind of embarrassed when we did finally pass.
Old 07-28-11, 10:22 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
No cell phone while riding, although I do carry one with me but it is turned off until I need to use it. I don't take my dog with me, even on the neighborhood rides that my wife and I do. He's too old and a small dog at that. I wear ear buds when I ride the MUP in the late afternoon. There's hardly anyone on it and I constantly check my mirror to see if there is anyone approaching me from behind. I purchased a set of speakers that are held to your jersey by magnets for when I ride elsewhere. The speakers are small and they are not very loud and aren't made to blast you out of your seat. I have to use full volume on my MP3 player in order to hear the music at a low volume. Also, these speakers are allowed on every sanctioned ride I have been on, including the MS 150. You can hear the normal, surrounding noises quite well with them on.

Here is the link to the company that makes and sell them: Tuck Away Tunes. It's a local company for me, but I will advise that you get some extra magnets if you decide to order from them as their customer service is the pits.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-28-11, 10:42 AM

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by on the path
Gee... when riding I like to hear the traffic that might be around me. If there's no traffic around me I like to hear the air rushing by my head. I like to hear that click in my free wheel as I coast down hills, that smooth whirr of my tires tracking the pavement.

When I walk in the woods I like to hear the birds singing, the trees swaying in the wind, the babbling of the brooks. My priorities are all screwed up....
Agree 100% Anyone with impaired hearing is taking a big chance as far as I am concerned. I like to hear the sound of approaching vehicles but also all the sounds of nature. That's part of why I ride.
Old 07-28-11, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well...I may live in a rather unique environment. But, dogs on leashes/harnesses when person is on a bike or skis or skateboard or scooter are pretty common. Sometimes it will be more than one dog. Off the top of my head I think the maximum I've seen is three dogs in harness.

But, car or bike, there are way too many people who drive distracted. They are in their little world and their reaction when reality comes crashing in is often not only not pretty, it is dangerous.
Old 07-28-11, 11:29 AM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Have seen numerous riders with headphones and or talking on cells. I haven't seen one with a dog - yet. I choose to do none of those. No headphones. No cell phone. No dog or other creature. Just like to ride and pay attention to my surroundings.
Old 07-28-11, 11:38 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
I wear ear buds when I ride the MUP in the late afternoon. There's hardly anyone on it and I constantly check my mirror to see if there is anyone approaching me from behind.
My problem is that if I see someone using ear buds, I have no clue whether or not they hear me when I signal to them. I have to assume that they don't, and ride accordingly, which is at the best inconvenient for me.
Old 07-28-11, 11:52 AM

Bikes: Guerciotti SL, Trek 5200, Haluzak Horizon, Trek Mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just today, I rode up to a stop light and a girl on a Sevin. As the light changed, and we got through the intersection, I asked "...is that a titanium frame?". No response. Then I saw the earplugs. I went to a midnight premiere movie, and about half the audience were texting through the previews. I may be old (over 50), but why do people need to be constantly "connected'?
Old 07-28-11, 11:57 AM
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No earbuds - Personally can't stand the things. If I want headphones, I want full headphones, but never while riding. Cellphone is on, but stored or clipped on ...usually running SportsTracker to track my ride. One of these days I'll get a real bike computer.
Old 07-28-11, 12:00 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Remember back in the late 70's early 80's a product called a "bonaphone" It was a radio that was shaped like a shoulder pad that played the music through your bones by sitting on/around yonu shoulders. I think the name killed it from going mainstream. Possibly the product can be re-issued and inlcude a hydration bag, rear blinker, mp3 and a bluetooth for the cellphone in your jersey pocket?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.