Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New short commuter, some questions

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,

I've just landed a great job that is close enough to home I want to commute to work on my bike. Right now I have a big box "Infinity Premier" Mountain bike I'm going to ride, and perhaps will upgrade when I wear this one out. (I love this one anyhow, I know there is better out there) For now I am going to make it work because my commute is a whopping 1.5 kms (less than a mile).

My commute will be at 4pm and midnight, so viability is of the utmost importance. That being said, my route is very well lit, so I think (and I'd like opinions) I will run lots of LEDs (I want everyone to see me, but I will be able to see the road and surroundings pretty well).

Next is fenders. Recommendations for ones that will fit on a mtb easily?

And last, tires. I have worn out mtb tires on her now, which I need to replace. I want to run a nicer (wide) street tire. My commute is all road/sidewalk/parking lot. I don't know really what tires to get. Blowing a tire isnt the end of the world because I can push the bike the rest of the distance pretty easy...but I like the reflective tires.

Also thinking of attempting a winter commute, but it's not likely going to actually happen. Probably will just walk.

That's it... hope to talk to you all soon!
Old 08-20-11, 06:18 PM

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Is your MTB a hardail or a rigid. If its rigid I really like the PB cascadias for fenders. If its a hardtail the PB Speedez work pretty well.

There is a lot of choice for rear lights. The PB Superflash turbo or Radbot 1000 should be good choices.

Tires usually recommended are the Panaracer T Servs, Schwalbe marathons, and Specialized Armadillos. I prefer good puncture resistant tires above all else.

Also don't forget about a lock and a multitool kit.

Good Luck.
Old 08-20-11, 06:21 PM
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd walk.
Old 08-20-11, 08:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rigid, those two products look perfect and the local MEC carries them. And I'll check out those tires.

Walking... Awesome but i adore riding my bike, always have. This just makes getting there more fun. Isn't this a bike forum?
Old 08-20-11, 08:55 PM

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whenever someone posts about a short commute someone always comes out with a 'just walk' comment, or something similar. I don't walk even when I want to go to get lunch at a Subway 0.5 miles away. Why should I? Riding is more fun and more efficient. Not to mention, when you ride your bike can carry whatever you need to carry instead of your shoulders.
Old 08-20-11, 09:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haters gon hate
Old 08-20-11, 11:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright, back at the computer rather than my iphone at a party lol...

Those tires, and model out of the lineup you'd recommend? There are so many...

I think I'm getting the PB Cascadia fenders and the radbot rear light. Once I figure out tires I'll be making an order.

Thanks again all
Old 08-20-11, 11:49 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12774 Post(s)
Liked 7,692 Times in 4,081 Posts
I even bike the 4 blocks to the 7-11. Might be a different story if I lived on the second floor or something.

Get it, story?

I'll be here all week.
Old 08-20-11, 11:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sigh.... lmao
Old 08-21-11, 12:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since it is a MTB, I don't think tossing out road tires are going to be all that helpful.

What you want is something slick since you aren't going on trails or gravel roads. Sounds like all pavements so definitely look for something that is smooth so it is easier to pedal around in. If it doesn't snow in winter, I would just do it. If it's too cold, you can layer up and all.

I am biased towards continentals so I'll toss in the TravelContact - The Globetrotter.
Old 08-21-11, 12:57 AM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12774 Post(s)
Liked 7,692 Times in 4,081 Posts
Originally Posted by exile
Panaracer T Servs, Schwalbe marathons, and Specialized Armadillos.
Originally Posted by 8Fishes
Since it is a MTB, I don't think tossing out road tires are going to be all that helpful.
All of the above tire lines have 26" models in them, assuming the MTB in question has 26" wheels. JSYK.
Old 08-21-11, 01:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahh.. interesting. My bad on that.. I was probably thinking of something else.
Good to know though..
Old 08-21-11, 06:14 AM
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthFLpix
Whenever someone posts about a short commute someone always comes out with a 'just walk' comment, or something similar.
OP brought it up as an alternative.

I'd either walk or take the long way.

Last edited by scroca; 08-21-11 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-21-11, 06:15 AM
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewtclarkson
Haters gon hate
No hate here, if you are referring to me.

Last edited by scroca; 08-21-11 at 06:20 AM.
Old 08-21-11, 06:43 AM
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a commute that measures out to be a little over a mile and a half for the shortest route. I walked it for many years, most of the time taking a longer, more pleasant hike. When I started biking it last year, I found that traffic and road conditions motivated me to take a slightly longer route - about 2.5 miles. I found pretty quickly that that was not much more than a warmup and so I have extended it to a 6-7 mile one way commute. My point is that if you just walk the mile, you will not use your bike. If you bike the mile, you will most likely end up biking more than you originally planned.

-Gary
Old 08-21-11, 09:16 AM
Fair Weather Cyclist

Bikes: R&M Frog, Moulton TSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd run two tail lights, at least one good one like a planet bike superflash or nite rider cherry bomb. One headlight is sufficient if the route is well lit (it's more to be seen than to light the way). I'd be sure to have side reflectors or reflective sidewalls and I would wear a bright colored ANSI rated reflective jacket.

This may be more controversial, but I wouldnt bring any comprehensive tools or any tire repair supplies on a route that short.
Old 08-21-11, 09:37 AM

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
You only have a short ways to go and assuming that is your only use for the BSO then go ahead. Realize of course that box stores BSOs are designed to last their average 200 miles and that many real bicycle shops will not service them and that they often use non standard, non rebuildable components I would suggest you cruise the used market for a real bicycle, not a box store BSO.

Why buy from a bike shop, well, you keep a small bushiness man in business who can hire help like bicycle mechanics and stock supplies and parts for immediate purchase and the bicycle is is a long term purchase. When you buy from a box store you put small businesses out of business which then results in their full time employees becoming part time "associates" at the box store and the BSO is a short term purchase that will soon be occupying space in a landfill.

Beside, mountain bikes are lousy on road, see, that is why they call them mountain bikes, they were built for MOUNTAIN trails. On the other hand, a road bike, amazing thing, they are built for, take a guess, yep, ROADS. Amazing huh?

BSO= Bicycle Shaped Object.

LC
Old 08-21-11, 10:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is where I'm confused about bike tires. I understand how slicks work, and therefore they will suck in the rain without sipes, no?
I think I'd feel most confident in something that looks like the PR TServ, or the Crosstown, or the Marathon plus HS348, etc. Remember it is only a mile, I'm not overly concerned about the lowest rolling resistance and highest efficiency. I am no cyclist. I won't be donning lycra or spandex and riding 50 miles on weekends. Just a nice, simple bike commute. Sometimes I ride 10 or 15 kms around town for fun, but even then, jsut a good running bike is all I need.

Walking- It's an alternative in the winter or when my bike is broke. I'd prob just drive in all honesty if its that crappy out.

Scroca- I was joking.

Transformer- I agree on the tool bit. If the bike breaks I'll lock it to something and grab it on the way back home. Or carry it. I'm prob gonna put all sorts of stupid lights on it, the wheel/spoke ones, blinkies, everything. I like not hurting.

LC- I totally understand. It's the exact same thoughts and shpeel as every other forum for any other interest. I know a purpose built machine will work better. I like supporting local business. I understand business in general. I also, even better understand personal finance. Me buying a new bike will run me an extra few hundred bucks, plus accesories, for something I may decide I don't even like to do everyday. (small chance, but always present) A few hundred bucks I could spend paying off debt or putting towards my honeymoon. The fancy bike could get stolen. etc. OR, I can try it out on my "BSO", wear it right out, find out what I like/want in a bike, try some other bikes out (research) and pick up something in a few months/next spring.

Thanks all for the opinions, I really do appreciate them, and am stoked to start riding more!
Old 08-21-11, 10:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, PS it snows here. prob 2-3 feet per year, but I should be ok for roads, as most of them are well traveled. So- a tire that can serve year round would be nice, but isn't required.
Old 08-21-11, 11:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycle tires do not work in the same principles as car tires. You want to have as much contact with the ground as possible, even in the wet/raining weather. I know it might sound counter intuitive at first, but you simply aren't going to be going fast enough to hydroplane or loose control unless you are really really going fast. Stopping may be a bit harder because of the wet rims and ground, but you will have the same problems as if you had non-slick tires. Tire skidding and etc, you'd still want as much tire touching the ground as possible.

As for the whole BSO thing; As you as you know what you are getting. I know a lot of people look down to them but they do at least last a year, at least from my experience. Cheaper in the short run, but I think if you had to buy a new bike every year, the costs stack up more than initial cost of a 'good' bike. You don't have to get new too, plenty of 'old' models in LBS' they are marked down. Not trying to tell you to not get one of those BSO, but as long as you know the facts and decide on your own, more power to you.

I would not recommend craig's list since they are all used bikes, and I don't think you'd know if someone was trying to sell you a really ****ty bike.
Old 08-21-11, 11:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
8- That's what I needed. And you explain it well. That being said, I do ride on gravel trails now and then, when I just go out for a ride. I'm trying to make my entire order from MEC, but their tire selection isn't that great... (LBS has nothing in stock, all winter/hockey stuff now)

Oh- and I will never ride a dedicated "road bide". I don't like the looks of them, and feel they are totally unnecessary for me.

Last edited by andrewtclarkson; 08-21-11 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-21-11, 12:09 PM

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewtclarkson
8- That's what I needed. And you explain it well. That being said, I do ride on gravel trails now and then, when I just go out for a ride. I'm trying to make my entire order from MEC, but their tire selection isn't that great... (LBS has nothing in stock, all winter/hockey stuff now)

Oh- and I will never ride a dedicated "road bide". I don't like the looks of them, and feel they are totally unnecessary for me.
See, you already know everything, bring prejudices that are based on at best misinformed opinions and already have answers for your own questions. For your short commute, as described, you should be OK on a Huffy BMX. Get some Planet Bike Blinkies and a Bell Factor helmet and some gloves from the farm store and cut the fingers out and a backpack and have at it. What could go wrong in less than a mile.

Many towns have used cycle shops. We have one here where any bike traded in at the new co-shop is re-cycled if it is at all worthy. Many of them are three speed 26 inch "English" type bikes. They get serviced, fixed, tuned and some even have a warranty or at least a free tune up. Many are twenty years old or even a lot more, all of them are better than any new BSO mtb dual suspension piece of crap from a box store. The BSO is worth about zero when you un-uh-box it and the old Miyata, Raleigh, Univega will be worth at least what you paid for it when you sell or trade it. But, some people will go to any expense to save a dollar.

We can employ our neighbors or we can employ the ChiComs. What is better for your little corner of the universe?

LC
Old 08-21-11, 12:17 PM
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scroca
I'd either walk or take the long way.
I completely agree. I am going to start commuting next week, when school starts. The direct commute is only about 3 miles (6mi r/t). If I were to take the long way (MUP), it would be 6 miles (12mi r/t).

Until I get my panniers, I will do the direct commute.
Old 08-21-11, 01:04 PM
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For blinkies both front and rear I'd recommend Sette lights. The HL is called a Glo and can be flashing or steady. The taillight has 3 modes. They're available at www.pricepoint.com for 9.00US. That's about 1/3 of the cost of a Rabot or a Superflash. They're just as good. Get your fenders from https://www.bikeisland.com where there's never a shipping charge. If you decide you need a framepump get a Topeak Road Morph w/gauge for 35.00US from Bike Island as well. Tire levers, tibes, multi-tool, patchkit, chaintool...they're all there w/no shipping. Excellent customer service, too.