Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What is thurrent availability of white gas/naptha gas/shellite in Western Australia??

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What is thurrent availability of white gas/naptha gas/shellite in Western Australia??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-11, 10:10 AM

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

On another forum I was told that white gas/shellite/naptha is hard to find in Western Australia outside of Perth.

Last June-August in South Australia and NSW we fond it in grocery stores. I am planning a trip through WA and SA this coming June-August and would like to know of current availability.

Machka/Rowan - or anyone else, do you have any info on current availability? TIA

Last edited by tmac100; 11-27-11 at 11:58 AM. Reason: I tried to inprove the title, BUt to no avail :-(
Old 11-27-11, 04:32 AM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Hi

Interesting post given your comments in response to GJ Coop who was riding extensively through WA in the past few months

Andrew
Old 11-27-11, 08:41 AM

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Aushiker
Hi

Interesting post given your comments in response to GJ Coop who was riding extensively through WA in the past few months

Andrew
Thanks Andrew for the cross referencing. Score one for you! Yes

I am waiting for some current primary data, NOT data from 2008. That data is 3 years old and no longer valid.The data I have is current as of the Australian winter of 2011. However, that said, I want primary data, and have emailed a number of caravan parks/shops/shire offices east of Norseman. I am interested in current availability. THAT data will be more valuable than your references from several years ago, or some fuzzy-wuzzy dim memory of a past trip - or someone else's trip report through the real outback (dirt roads) that I also went on in 2006.

To that end I have emailed a number of caravan parks and shire offices asking about current availability of shellite. I await their replies. If not available, then I will switch jets and use petrol/diesel or.. OTOH, I can always find some wood, burn it down to coals and cook like I did in Canada's arctic a lifetime ago. The arctic is a cold desert. OTOH, I can always eat uncooked oatmeal, mixed with dried fruits, nuts and skim milk powder and water, and keep going and

My bad - he joined in 2008. I had no difficulty in getting shellite in the gulf region when I bicycled there in 2006 -grocery stores and hardware stores.... However, that is old data - 5 years old data.... and it is NOT specific to the Eyre Hwy in 2011 and 2012.

Last edited by tmac100; 11-27-11 at 12:05 PM. Reason: 200^