Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Teams

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-11, 08:01 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Teams

What is the major advantage in joining a team? The reason I am asking is that I am planning on racing this coming year. The team that is closest to me is from a local bike store and it just doesn't feel like the right fit. I was approached to join the team but I felt like the only reason was so I would buy their $300 team kit.

So how do you go about finding the right team?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 12-19-11, 08:05 AM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Racing is a team sport. Trying to do well in a race without a team, if you are racing against others who are in a team, is kinda like trying to win a basketball game solo against a team.

Obviously time trials etc. don't apply. But if you are planning to do road racing, crits, etc....you probably should find a team.

And since you didn't know the answer, I strongly suggest you get some books from the library on racing.
Old 12-19-11, 08:24 AM
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are benefits but if you are just starting out team strength, fit and tactics don't really matter nor do they really work. Secondly wtf? $300 for a kit? What does it include?
Old 12-19-11, 08:25 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Honestly at the Cat 5 level, there is rarely any significant team work. There are significant advantages of joining a team however. Most notably is the mentoring that you will receive from a good team. Other advantages are avoiding unattached rider fees, and getting race fees reimbursed.

I would go out on the local training rides, and talk to others doing the rides, and see what teams others are on, how they like their teams, and whether they're open to new members.

Ideally as someone starting out, you'll want to find a team that is welcoming to beginners, but also has veteran riders that are willing to work with new people.

The ideal situation would be to find a good team before your first race. But if you don't it's not a problem to do your Cat 5 races unattached as you figure out with which team you fit best.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 12-19-11, 08:29 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by rkwaki
Secondly wtf? $300 for a kit? What does it include?
One jersey, and one pair of shorts and that is awfully high. At our team's prices that gets you 2 jerseys, and 2 bibs of pretty nice quality.

The team kit should represent a substantial discount to retail for the same quality clothing.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 12-19-11, 08:33 AM
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Honestly at the Cat 5 level, there is rarely any significant team work. There are significant advantages of joining a team however. Most notably is the mentoring that you will receive from a good team. Other advantages are avoiding unattached rider fees, and getting race fees reimbursed.

I would go out on the local training rides, and talk to others doing the rides, and see what teams others are on, how they like their teams, and whether they're open to new members.

Ideally as someone starting out, you'll want to find a team that is welcoming to beginners, but also has veteran riders that are willing to work with new people.

The ideal situation would be to find a good team before your first race. But if you don't it's not a problem to do your Cat 5 races unattached as you figure out with which team you fit best.
Great post and 100% on track.
I was talking with a team last year and we decided it would not have been a good fit as there was nobody that was strong enough to deliver me to the line nor were they focused on any part of the NRC calendar BUT they would have welcomed me with open arms to help develop other riders and pass along experiences as well as push them to ride/race better. For both our goals it was not a good fit though one of the nicest group of guys.

Take your time.
Old 12-19-11, 08:39 AM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Teams can (operative term here) offer a good environment for a new/maturing racer (i.e. new and learning). This means accelerating your learning curve so you learn things in 3 months that may take you 3 or 5 years otherwise. For example, I learned on my own how to trackstand. It's not a crazy skill, it's something that comes in handy and helps overall bike handling skills. When I ran a beginner clinic it took 30 minutes for some riders to be doing trackstands. Ditto things like riding one handed (took me a while to figure out how to ride one handed at speed, what's most stable, etc), riding in a pack, bumping elbows/shoulders/tires (impossible to practice without another rider), etc etc etc. You could spend the next 5 years riding a bit sketchy in the field and learn all these skills. You could also spend 4-5 hours learning the basics in 2-3 clinic sessions and be semi-competent by April.

When a new driver gets in a car, they don't just drive around and hope they do everything right (well some do I guess). If the driver takes driver ed, and, if a racer, takes a racing course or two, you'll end up with a much better driver with better habits, better form, a better foundation for years to come.

It doesn't mean all teams are like that; in fact, I'd say most teams don't offer anything like it.

So, if you have a developmental team (Cat 5 clinics, promote or focus on training races and other "cheap but plentiful races" type schedule, promote a race, team meetings, etc) then it's akin to giving a plant seed a good environment, good light, fresh air, warm temps, etc.

You can have a "regular" team (I think most teams fall here) that focus on getting kits, getting out there, with participation beyond actual racing somewhat minimal. It's like when you toss grass seed on your lawn - you spread seed, maybe do some fertilizer, but let nature take its course.

Then you can have the stand-off-ish teams, the elite ones that suck up money from the lower categories, don't do much to develop members, etc. It's like tossing seeds out your car while driving down the interstate highway.

The first type of team is the best for new racers. Many new racers, after a couple years, don't want to be bothered with teaching yet another new generation of racers "how to do it". They then migrate towards the second and third type of teams.

Without the first type of team though there would be no racers. Everyone started out at the bottom, everyone freaked out when they went into a tightly packed turn at speed for the first time. It's normal.

Remember all this in 5-10-15-20 years when new racers ask you what team to join.

As far as kit cost, if it's $300 and you get two jerseys and two bib shorts, that's about the going rate for a custom less expensive kit ($65 jersey, $85 bib shorts, give or take). If the team is full price then it's one set.

However, kit should be the least of your worries. Any team that's interested in developing new racers will get kits at some point.

Hope this helps and good luck with the racing in 2012,
cdr
Old 12-19-11, 08:48 AM
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Teams can (operative term here) offer a good environment for a new/maturing racer (i.e. new and learning). This means accelerating your learning curve so you learn things in 3 months that may take you 3 or 5 years otherwise. For example, I learned on my own how to trackstand. It's not a crazy skill, it's something that comes in handy and helps overall bike handling skills. When I ran a beginner clinic it took 30 minutes for some riders to be doing trackstands. Ditto things like riding one handed (took me a while to figure out how to ride one handed at speed, what's most stable, etc), riding in a pack, bumping elbows/shoulders/tires (impossible to practice without another rider), etc etc etc. You could spend the next 5 years riding a bit sketchy in the field and learn all these skills. You could also spend 4-5 hours learning the basics in 2-3 clinic sessions and be semi-competent by April.

When a new driver gets in a car, they don't just drive around and hope they do everything right (well some do I guess). If the driver takes driver ed, and, if a racer, takes a racing course or two, you'll end up with a much better driver with better habits, better form, a better foundation for years to come.

It doesn't mean all teams are like that; in fact, I'd say most teams don't offer anything like it.

So, if you have a developmental team (Cat 5 clinics, promote or focus on training races and other "cheap but plentiful races" type schedule, promote a race, team meetings, etc) then it's akin to giving a plant seed a good environment, good light, fresh air, warm temps, etc.

You can have a "regular" team (I think most teams fall here) that focus on getting kits, getting out there, with participation beyond actual racing somewhat minimal. It's like when you toss grass seed on your lawn - you spread seed, maybe do some fertilizer, but let nature take its course.

Then you can have the stand-off-ish teams, the elite ones that suck up money from the lower categories, don't do much to develop members, etc. It's like tossing seeds out your car while driving down the interstate highway.

The first type of team is the best for new racers. Many new racers, after a couple years, don't want to be bothered with teaching yet another new generation of racers "how to do it". They then migrate towards the second and third type of teams.

Without the first type of team though there would be no racers. Everyone started out at the bottom, everyone freaked out when they went into a tightly packed turn at speed for the first time. It's normal.

Remember all this in 5-10-15-20 years when new racers ask you what team to join.

As far as kit cost, if it's $300 and you get two jerseys and two bib shorts, that's about the going rate for a custom less expensive kit ($65 jersey, $85 bib shorts, give or take). If the team is full price then it's one set.

However, kit should be the least of your worries. Any team that's interested in developing new racers will get kits at some point.

Hope this helps and good luck with the racing in 2012,
cdr
Great write up except for the elite guys sucking up the money -not true
Old 12-19-11, 08:54 AM
Ninja don't wear flipflop

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix SL3, BMC TM01...if it every ships

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure where you live, but around here there is a lot of travel involved in getting to races. While there are a lot of good reasons to join a team, I think it is just as important to race with people you like spending time with. I love to race, but I also like hanging out before and after the races with my team mates and going on training rides whenever possible (most of my team mates are 100 miles away). If you don't get a good vibe from the team that would be a red flag. Most of us race for fun and if you don't like the people you race with it won't be very much fun.
Old 12-19-11, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
CDR and Merlin hit the big points, but I'll also add in Discounts.

Many teams have deals lined up with an LBS giving you access to stuff cheap. Through my team, I generally get things at Cost plus 15 percent - which usually costs less than online prices and eBay.
Old 12-19-11, 09:00 AM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The kit really was the least of my worries, btw it was only one set of bibs and a jersey. I understand team tactics and that a team is stronger than an individual. I was just mainly talking about the advantages in a cat 5 race. I have ridden with some members on a couple of different occasions and there is never really any game plan to the ride. I was expecting some sort of structure to the ride and it was more like 8-15 guys just starting and ending at the same place. It was not at all what I thought is was going to be like. I guess I was expecting paceline riding and city limit sprints and it just wasn't happening.
Old 12-19-11, 09:15 AM
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where are you in the SE? Just curious.

We have a shop sponsored team as well as some other sponsors on board. The perks for a 5 are pretty much limited to race reimbursements, shop, and sponsor discounts. As for training, that's really an individual thing. Group rides are so you can have some company on a ride. Really nothing structured except for the occasional rotating pace line practice. This time of year things are very unstructured anyway as it's a base and build period for the spring races. No need to over do it right now.

For advantages in a Cat 5 race, there aren't any other than you may know someone else in the race. Cat 5 races aren't tactical events.
Old 12-19-11, 09:40 AM

Bikes: Scott Addict R1 and Walter Croll Mtn.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Find a team you like. There are a different benefits depending on the team you join. For our team, we get product discounts on frames, wheels and other parts. We also get some coaching which really helped me go from the unattached rider that was OTB to competing in the sprints and taking pulls up front. It really boosted my confidence and in general, as carpediemracing pointed out, shortened the learning curve - significantly. Echoing what others have said, not a lot of team tactics going on in 4/5 races. I will say however, that there was one very well coached/organized team that always had numbers in the 5 races and they would practice team tactics in the races. They kept the pace high and stayed on the front the entire race, would initiate breaks and have their guys block. Their breaks actually stuck a few times. On the other hand, at that level, if you are strong enough as an unattached rider, you can just follow their wheels.

I was advised to stay unattached as a 5. Some people don't seem to think it matters at that level, but for me, I enjoyed the camaraderie and learning from our Cat 1/2/3 riders. Helped me feel part of the culture rather than the lone wolf looking in. As I work this season to upgrade to a 3, I feel more knowledgeable and better prepared to race at that level when it happens, than if I was just racing unattached.
Old 12-19-11, 09:43 AM

I'd caution newer riders on the discounts. Sometimes it doesn't happen or it's not a lot, sometimes even with discounts (or at shop cost) the product costs more than it does online/ebay/etc), and sometimes you strike the motherload and you get a huge break. Overall a shop's cost is typically close to online (gray market) prices, so getting stuff from a shop, even with a big break, isn't necessarily a good value monetarily speaking.

On kits - teams may or may not get breaks. Just because someone orders $5k-10k of clothing it doesn't necessarily translate to a break in price. I've been on teams where $10k didn't get a break. I've been on small teams where the clothing vendor bent over backwards for a small (5-6 rider) team.

Teams, for a Cat 5, in races, usually doesn't mean that much.

Before and after a race it can help to be part of a team. Before - you'll inevitably feel a bit more comfortable if you have friends/allies you can talk with, bum off a spare tube, etc. After - you can rehash what happened, watch other races, etc.
Old 12-19-11, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by tjk23
I have ridden with some members on a couple of different occasions and there is never really any game plan to the ride. I was expecting some sort of structure to the ride and it was more like 8-15 guys just starting and ending at the same place. It was not at all what I thought is was going to be like. I guess I was expecting paceline riding and city limit sprints and it just wasn't happening.
Your expectations reflect some desire to learn about racing. Their ride format indicates that they're not as interested in teaching as much as they are simply riding/training. Many of my rides are "JRA", just riding along, with some efforts to get over hills and maybe an inspired jump or two after a truck. I'm not a structuralist, if you will.

To their defense groups work on pacelines regularly, almost instinctively. It's just that a new rider may not recognize that it's a paceline when everyone is taking 10 minute pulls (or similar). "Can we do some paceline work?""We are.""We are?""Yeah, everyone takes 30 minute pulls.""Oh."

I was on a ride (in Gainesville actually) with a Cat 1 where he'd pull for an hour, the rest of us would all rotate through in about 2 minutes, then he'd pull for an hour. Then he'd drop us, wait, then repeat. When we rode with his ex-pro current Cat 1 teammate, they took 10-15-30 minute pulls, we never pulled. Paceline work is paceline work; it's as much working on sitting on wheels as it is pulling through.

Although city line sprints are fun, some groups may skip them in the winter.
Old 12-19-11, 11:32 AM

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CDR really nailed it with the three types of teams and the seed analogy. Bang on.

$300 for a jersey and a set of bibs is a little steep.

In order to be able to enjoy racing on a team, you have to be able to put the goals of the team above your own, and let your accomplishments come on a schedule that you don't fully control. When you put your own goals above the goals of the team, egos get bruised, teammates get angry, and team chemistry falls apart. The best situations are when the team considers everyone's goals and works to help meet them all. This is true at any level.
Old 12-19-11, 01:39 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess I just need to invest in some books on race tactics and continue to search for a team.
Old 12-19-11, 02:04 PM
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Race tactics will come with experience. The most important thing as a 5 is to train and ride with people you like if you choose to ride with anybody.
Old 12-19-11, 02:07 PM

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can search for a team that mentors new riders, or you can just use Cat5 for what it is meant to be used for, 10 races where you get a free pass to learn and do as you please (within reason) without the baggage of a team to worry about. You can learn a lot about tactics by watching and trying things. The goal of your Cat5 experience should not be to upgrade but to learn as much as you can.
Old 12-19-11, 02:20 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
CDR nailed it, as always.

My two cents, which will echo some of the other's: find a team that has riders you like to ride with, hopefully some in higher categories who will take the time to show you the ropes. Group rides are great, skills clinics are great, and just having someone to shoot the bull with while you sit under the easy-up waiting for your race, that's great too. Reimbursements and discounts are nice too, but it was just a bonus after years of being unattached and paying full freight for my kit and race fees.

See if there's an early bird race series in your area. These are great places to meet other 5's and check out the local teams.
Old 12-19-11, 09:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjk23
I guess I just need to invest in some books on race tactics and continue to search for a team.
Watch videos of racing. Find CDR's videos, he explains what's going on, what he's thinking, why he's in the position he's in, etc. You'll learn way more quickly from those than you will from reading.
Old 12-19-11, 10:11 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks everyone. I'm trying to transition from century riding to racing this year. I have done the majority of the big century rides in the area, Assault on Mt Mitchell, Bridge to Bridge, Blood Sweat and Gears and a few less popular. I would really like to be part of a team for the camaraderie and the learning experience.
Old 12-28-11, 12:17 AM

Bikes: 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro/2015 Trek Emonda SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do not forget all the fans you get after joining a team
Old 12-28-11, 12:54 AM
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Join a team. Don't let location dictate the team you join.

There is something I have documented over the last 5 years or so - "teams" that are made up of people who have geographic location in common never really work like a team and never really go far or last long.

Look at a bike shop based team that has been around for a long time. The ratio of racers to enthusiasts who like wearing the kit and going on the group rides is pretty telling. Choose a team because of the chemistry you feel with the racers. This is a hobby. If you can't have fun with your teammates then what's the point?

Secondly - pick your team the same way I pick my riders - do it AT races. Any chump can sit on a stool in a shop and talk about how much they are training, how much they are going to race "next season", etc. but there is a HUGE step for the majority of folks to go from thinking about racing after they just dropped their riding partner on a ride to actually signing a waiver, picking up your number and then toe'ing the line.

I run a very large team system out of Chicago. Over 50 licensed racers. I give out a lot of perks. Too many really. I have my reasons (as for the comment about the elite sucking up the funds without returning anything - the vast majority of elite racers would definitely fall into that category. Too many thing they are something because they have won a lot, or that winning a lot returns something to the team, but in reality everyone they are toeing the line with in their category has had exactly the same amount of success - that's why they are all there. Many just don't get it....) Because of this record i have I get approached a lot by riders who want to race next year...

...I don't take anyone unless I have raced with them before or if I have watched them race before. If they are new - then I'll talk to you and give you advice for your first race and you can set up camp in our tent, but you're not joining our team until after I see you pin on a number.

Old 12-31-11, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Any chump can sit on a stool in a shop and talk about how much they are training, how much they are going to race "next season", etc. but there is a HUGE step for the majority of folks to go from thinking about racing after they just dropped their riding partner on a ride to actually signing a waiver, picking up your number and then toe'ing the line.
I looked for this thread and realized I missed this last post. Very good point, beautiful actually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.