Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Road Cycling in Ithaca, NY

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-12, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

My husband and I are considering going to Ithaca this summer to ride for a few days. My questions are:
1. What is the road cycling like in the Ithaca area?
2. What is the best month to go if we hope to avoid rain and cold weather?
3. Does anybody know a great place to stay?
Thanks so much.
Old 01-17-12, 05:22 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
The riding in and around Ithaca is great if you don't mind hills. Very pretty but definitely plenty of up and down around there. Lots of waterfront scenery.

You could get rain any month, can't help you there. Any month from late spring to mid fall should be warm-ish.

There's lots of hotels, motels, campgrounds in the area but I can't honestly recommend any particular place.
Old 01-17-12, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling in the entire Finger Lakes region and around Ithaca is as good as it gets, and as the bumper stickers say, "Ithaca is gorges." There are several commercial tour companies that offer trips in that region and their routes frequent the area between the lakes past the wineries and farms. A few miles from Ithaca you have the roads pretty much to yourself. The county roads are deserted and the state roads lightly travelled. I did the Bon Ton Roulet a few years ago and the route that year started in Cortland, went to Ithaca, then north along Cayuga Lake on 89, west on county route 128 and then south on 414 to Watkins Glen - all very nice. If you haven't seen Taughannock Falls State Park it is well worth a visit. The best riding in that section of the state would be June-September and even into mid October (fall foliage). July is the hottest. I've stayed at the Rogue's Harbor Inn, which was very nice, but contrary to its name is not on the lake and there isn't much around it. Classic Adventures stays at the Taughannock Farms Inn. There are many other hotels, inns and bed and breakfasts to choose from.
Old 01-17-12, 07:44 PM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you Thulsadoom and danacf. Both responses very helpful. Are the hills rolling or brutal or a mix?
Old 01-18-12, 07:11 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
I'd say a mix with the accent on rolling, if that makes any sense.
Old 01-18-12, 07:30 AM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
I'd say a mix with the accent on rolling, if that makes any sense.
Perfect sense.
Old 01-18-12, 07:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cayuga Lake is listed at 382' above sea level and Seneca at 440'. The terrain around the northern sections is actually quite flat. The climbs out of lake basin from the cities/towns of Ithaca, Watkins Glen and Hammondsport are quite steep and challenging. The area between Cayuga and Seneca Lake, once you get out of the basin, turns into slightly rolling. The elevations of Ovid, Trumansburg and Mecklenburg are all between approximately 1,000 and 1,200 feet. That decreases considerably as you go north. My recollection is that the area between Seneca and Keuka Lake around Dundee and east of Ithaca toward Cortland is pretty much the same story. During the first 3 days of the Bon Ton Roulet from Cortland to Hammondsport we climbed 9,500' over 212 miles, not flat but not overly difficult either.
Old 01-19-12, 07:04 PM

Bikes: Felt Z80 road bike, Trek 7.2FX hybrid, Jamis Aurora Touring, Volae Voyager recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
beautiful, wonderful biking. the climb out of downtown ithaca can be gradual or steep, your choice depending on the route. The roads have nice shoulders, in general there's not too much traffic. Weather's really nice in June through August, occasional rain but overall great. The hills tend to be rolling, though if you like big climbs you can find them.

In terms of place to stay, all kinds of places here ranging from bed and breakfasts to campgrounds, depends on what you like, how much you want to spend.

If you tell me what kinds of rides you like -- terrain, roads, distance --I can suggest some for you.
Old 01-19-12, 07:36 PM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Chipg5 your description sounds perfect. I think we like rollers but a climb here and there is ok. I imagine we will stay in town unless you or anyone else advises otherwise (I want to eat at the Moosewood Cafe!). We don't like bed & breakfasts nor campgrounds so I guess we are looking for a hotel. We will bring our travel bikes. I don't know how to respond regarding terrain. I have a feeling everything around there is beautiful. I love trees, woods, water. Any or all of that. Thanks so much for your help.
danacf thank you for your information also. I need to look at a map so I will know where those lakes are.
Old 01-23-12, 07:08 PM

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I'm also from Ithaca, if you have any idea for routes, feel free to bounce them off any one of us. I live out near taughannock park, so I have gotten pretty familiar with the area between the lakes and below ovid.

I'd be happy to help you find a flat[ter] route from place to place if you need help with that. If you want to head right out of your door and into some nice riding in Ithaca, you might want to check out the best western at east hill plaza (either ellis hollow or judd falls road). There is some great riding from there.
Old 01-23-12, 07:21 PM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by IthaDan
I'm also from Ithaca, if you have any idea for routes, feel free to bounce them off any one of us. I live out near taughannock park, so I have gotten pretty familiar with the area between the lakes and below ovid.

I'd be happy to help you find a flat[ter] route from place to place if you need help with that. If you want to head right out of your door and into some nice riding in Ithaca, you might want to check out the best western at east hill plaza (either ellis hollow or judd falls road). There is some great riding from there.
Thank you for the Best Western idea. We had no idea about the best location to be able to go out the door and ride. I may contact you regarding some routes also.
Old 01-23-12, 07:34 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
If you stay in Ithaca, and want a really nice meal, go to Cornell University's hotel, The Statler which is on campus. Northern Italian.
Old 01-23-12, 07:37 PM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
If you stay in Ithaca, and want a really nice meal, go to Cornell University's hotel, The Statler which is on campus. Northern Italian.
Thank you for the recommendation. A nice Italian meal will be perfect after a beautiful day of riding. We will go. Is the Moosewood Cafe still there?
Old 01-23-12, 07:41 PM

Yes, moosewood still exists- it's downtown, which means bit of a vertical ride up to campus from there. There are some great places to eat in Ithaca, be sure to check out Bandwagon brew pub as well. The beer is decidedly average, but the food is a notch above. If you're in for tapas and outdoor seating, be sure to stop in a Just a Taste. All three of these are downtown, off the commons.

Originally Posted by shona
Thank you for the Best Western idea. We had no idea about the best location to be able to go out the door and ride. I may contact you regarding some routes also.
As far as true hotels go, you'd be hard pressed to find a better location to start your rides. Every other notable hotel is either downtown or up by the mall.

If you're looking for a house rental instead of a hotel/bb in the trumansburg area, I can probably line that up as well. I have a friend with a wonderful little house right on main street.
Old 01-23-12, 07:44 PM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Can you tell me approximately how far Trumansburg is from Ithaca?
Old 01-23-12, 07:48 PM

8 miles.
Old 01-23-12, 09:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be sure to check out Montezuma Wildlife Refuge at the North end of Cayuga Lake, when I was an adolescent we would do Rt 34b to 90 and then back down rt 89. Beautiful.

If you hit Trumansburg, the way I used to do it to see a friend of mine every summer weekend was rt. 96 one way, rt 89 on the way back. Hit the Glenwood Pines on Rt 89 before you get to toughanock state park for a Pinesburger.

In my opinion, the best hill-riding to be had from town would have to be on the other end of town - 327 & Bostwick out to Tremen state park in a loop, Stone Quarry & Sandbank can be looped together to hit Buttermilk State Park. These wooded, curvy slopes are like something out of a luxury car commercial. The rides are shorter, but you can elongate out to the Finger Lakes National forrest or even Watkins Glen on Seneca lake if you want something a little longer.

I always found mid to late June to be the best month for riding.
Old 01-24-12, 06:32 AM

If you need a bike mechanic to go over things try Glenn Swan. His house/garage is literally a bike mechanics shop.
Old 01-24-12, 06:34 AM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
If you need a bike mechanic to go over things try Glenn Swan. His house/garage is literally a bike mechanics shop.
That is great to know. We bring our Ritchey travel bikes and sometimes things break during travel. Where is he located and do you happen to have a phone number?
Old 01-24-12, 07:05 PM

Glen Swan works at Cornell University in the Engineering dept. but don't bother him there. That's his day job.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/swan-cycles-inc-freeville
Old 01-24-12, 07:27 PM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
IthaDan, I would like to know about your friend's house just so we can consider another option. Would that be Main Street in Ithaca? I like the idea of a house even though the location of the Best Western sounds perfect for riding out the door.
Old 01-25-12, 02:56 PM
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
No to jump in late, but depending on what you are looking for, I always found the east shore nicer riding than the west, especially once past Lansing. Roads are quieter on that side, you aren't close to the lake but you get the hill top views rather than the cliffside. Genoa and Locke are nice areas to buzz through, and a trip up to Moravia and Owasco lake is always nice.

Also, heading out toward Slaterville and Brooktondale bring in some nice rolling terrain. I used to loop out that way, then up to Dryden and Freeville, and there are some idyllic back roads that you won't see a sole on. Riding from Dryden to Virgil, Marathon, and back toward Ithaca through Richford are great rides. All depends on what you want for terrain and lake views.

Good luck. I would offer place to stay advice but I haven't lived down there for many years and it seems to change rapidly. Joe's was the best place to eat when I lived there, but now it is a different Joe's, and YMMV.
Old 01-25-12, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by shona
IthaDan, I would like to know about your friend's house just so we can consider another option. Would that be Main Street in Ithaca? I like the idea of a house even though the location of the Best Western sounds perfect for riding out the door.
Main street Trumansburg. Ithaca doesn't have a "Main" street, rather the upstate surrogate- state street.

The trumansburg house is currently on the market, but it should be available over the summer (I think she might be asking a little much) I also know of a place on sheldrake point if you want to fully commit to the winery region of cayuga lake. (Sheldrake if home of the vineyard, the driftwood inn, if you wants to get googlin'). Email me if you'd like to see a realtor link to the tburg place. (crcj04 gmail...)
Old 01-26-12, 01:53 PM

We stayed at Ellis Haven just a short couple of miles from the campus in Ithaca. I think her name is Sheri Ellis.

ELLIS HAVEN
CHECK AVAILABILITY414 Snyder Hill Rd.,
Ithaca, NY 14850
607-277-6515
ellishaven@gmail.com
https://www.ellishaven.info
Number of Rooms: 1 BR Apt.
Season: Year Round
Pricing: $75-$85/night

Our guest apartment includes private entrance, kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom. On lovely land with distant views and swimming pond. 2 1/2 miles to Cornell, 4 miles to Downtown Ithaca and 5 miles to Ithaca College.
Facility: Child Friendly, Kitchen / Kitchenettes, Major Credit Cards Accepted, Participate in "Green" Practices, Private Bath
In-Room Entertainment: Internet Access (wireless), TV (in-room)
Proximity: Boating (within 5 miles), Cayuga Wine Trail within 5 miles, Colleges within 10 minutes, State Park within 5 miles
Old 01-26-12, 02:35 PM
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Snyder Hill Rd. puts you out toward Slaterville, with some very pleasant cycling. Ellis Hollow Road, Turkey Hill Rd, Midline Rd. all nice riding areas, depending on what you seek.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.