Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike co-op working on trailer designs

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-12, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

The bicycle co-op in Cleveland is working on some designs of trailers made from all recycled materials (well almost). The design uses the rear triangle from a couple low end BMX bikes and a spoked wheel as the plate form.

There is a little info here :
https://bikecart.wordpress.com/2012/0...our-bike-cart/

So, what do you all think?
Old 01-21-12, 07:32 PM

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion Sport DLX, Trek 420, Schwinn Sierra, Schwinn Hurricane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like it! Gave me some ideas...
Old 01-21-12, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
Interesting. So you want to make your own out of recycled materials? I don't know about your area, but there are plenty of used child trailers for very cheap in my area. Here they could be 'recycled' into a utility trailer with very little modification. Why re-invent the wheel? double-entendre intentional...
Old 01-22-12, 12:55 AM

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion Sport DLX, Trek 420, Schwinn Sierra, Schwinn Hurricane

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hopperja
Interesting. So you want to make your own out of recycled materials? I don't know about your area, but there are plenty of used child trailers for very cheap in my area. Here they could be 'recycled' into a utility trailer with very little modification. Why re-invent the wheel? double-entendre intentional...
Because I'm a skinflint, and I already have a spare set of rigid MTB forks I can turn into a single-wheel trailer without spending money on it.

I have two trailers already, both converted child trailers... My wife and I don't need another really, but my son has no trailer, and we want to go bike camping in the spring.

My son however has no trailer and I do have a spare set of rigid MTB forks that I could turn into a single-wheel trailer easily.
Old 01-22-12, 10:51 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
From the bike co-op's perspective, we get a lot of donations that are low end department store bikes that may not have snowballs chance of being put back on the road as a bike. We also have lots of wheels that are trashed and end up getting sent to the scrap yard. Part of the idea is trying to put some of the things that end up as scrap metal, to a higher and better use.

I know that we get an occasional children's trailer donated, but those are a lot less common then department store bikes.
Old 01-22-12, 11:37 AM

Bikes: Marin, Kidarooz, Trek rocket and 247

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like it! I always enjoy turning "junk" into something. How are you going to keep the trailer from flipping if the bike falls, or the bike from falling if the trailer flips?
Old 01-24-12, 08:01 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Here is a picture they posted on facebook of one of the prototypes attached to a bike with a Rubbermaid tub mounted on it.

Old 01-25-12, 08:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike cart project

Thanks for the feed back here.
The goal here is to, as one person posted, use stuff that was being scrapped and keep it from getting to the land fill. The other idea is to make trailers with a higher payload capacity and more versatility. These designs are geared towards people who put their trailers to work. The basic front fork model has a 200 lb capacity, future models will haul up to 500 lbs. If you think that's too much go watch a pedicab operator. The carts are also built with the idea of being used as a wheel barrow in a garden, or farm to market application, or a shopping cart at the market. They can be fitted with bins to carry and even display produce and other items so they become the "fruit stand, knife sharpening station, bike repair shop, etc, when detached from the bike. Keep watching the blog for more information.
Old 02-08-12, 06:08 PM
Ron

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn High Sierra, 2006 Montaque Hummer, 2006 Fuji Crosstown 1, 2012 Civilian Corduroy Rebel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For What it is worth:
Low cost, somewhere in the $100 to $200.00 range
- Buy a copy of The Cart Book by William L. Sullivan ISBN 0-8306-0512-6 ~ $17 Amazon or Half.com Tubing cuter ~ $20. Tubing bender ~ $40 parts ~ $30 max and make kits for patrons to assemble and dodge the liability issues. Total investment: <$100 and you are providing people a chance to make something. Cost of cart parts <$30 plus salvaged wheels and no welding. I would bend out the frames as that takes a bit of practice and let them do the assembly. EMT is cheap so the practice isn't expensive and it can be scrounged by dumpster diving. A good hitch can be made from a castor wheel and IIFR the left half of an old school side pull brake. I have the link burred someplace and will edit this when I find it. This one is close but scroll down and look at the mock-up for the double caster: https://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...ailer-coupler/
Also ask for a copy of bamboo trailer plans here:
https://www.carryfreedom.com/bamboo.html and check out their links. Also on Instructables there are a couple there like in The Cart Book.

Drop me a PM and I can help you out with a couple of other things.
Old 02-08-12, 08:09 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
#7 is a black square with /!\ in the middle.
no image at all .

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-16-12 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-13-12, 07:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://bikecart.wordpress.com/2012/0...oject-at-ocbc/