Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Beater Lights

Old 05-21-12, 12:21 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Beater Lights

This morning, I am getting ready to grab my Centurion Ironman Master with two 26650 lights on it for my commute. It is around 5 am. Nice and dark,and I know that two 26650s are going to light up the morning. After I put my clothes on, check the bike, go to carry it outside, and sheesh!!! It is pouring down raining! But, I am pumped to ride. What do I do?? I put the Ironman back in the rack, and reach over and grabbed one of my beater bikes..The Raleigh Gran Prix.. All rusted up, but rides super good. I already got to clones of two fish mounts on the beater, but what light am I going to use?

Not going to take any of my prize lights that I baby over .. Oh, I got it, an 18650 zoomie that cost me $7.60 BIN off Ebay. I remember testing the light about a week ago, and was amazed of how good it was compared to its cost. I was good enough that I could ride with just this light and still be in good shape. I slapped that in the two fish mount, and then reached and grabbed the light my wife uses to walk the dog at night! That is a 3 AAA light I got off ebay for about $3.50. It supposed to be 200 lum.. Whatever...

Grab a rain hoodie, and off into the rain at 5:15 am...Sheesh, what a freakin ride!! The ride was so good, I went the long way to kick in and extra 8 or 9 miles. The lights were fantastic. More than what I needed. The little zoomie never zoomed by itself, no matter how many bumps I rode over..Had the other cheapy on blinky, along with a Superflash clone in the back. I was good to go..

The little 18650 zoomie was so good, I ordered another one .

My beater bike with beater lights...

Old 05-23-12, 08:03 AM
triple chainring club

Bikes: 2010 KONA PH.D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool, nice setup for a "beater" bike. those Twofish mounts really allow for a quick and clean install. I just ordered an xm-l zoomie (2x18650) from ebay; hoping mine won't "auto-zoom" either when hitting bumps on the bike. Lots of mounting options...I almost got the Twofish mount but I wanted to experiment and try this one: https://www.tmart.com/Flexible-Rotati...k_p120110.html we'll see...i'll post some pics and a mini review when I get everything put together and on the bike.
Old 05-23-12, 08:59 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ZOINKS
Cool, nice setup for a "beater" bike. those Twofish mounts really allow for a quick and clean install. I just ordered an xm-l zoomie (2x18650) from ebay; hoping mine won't "auto-zoom" either when hitting bumps on the bike. Lots of mounting options...I almost got the Twofish mount but I wanted to experiment and try this one: https://www.tmart.com/Flexible-Rotati...k_p120110.html we'll see...i'll post some pics and a mini review when I get everything put together and on the bike.
That mount from Tmart is cool, it will work..Where the two fish type mounts shine is when you got bigger diameter lights. I be running 26650s In fact this morning I am on pretty bike, thank you.. It has two brightazz 26650 that mowed everything out its way when I turn them on. They both are on two fish type mounts..

Here is another good one for 18650 or smaller lights..

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/univers...-15642?item=30

Now on the zooming. I had two Keygos M12s. They are 26650 and give off good light in all areas of the zoom. However, when mounted, they zoomed on their own. I was told by others to get a better O ring and that would solve it. I opted for getting the same light by the same company, less the zoom. That light is the Keygos M10.. Love it.. However, if the M12s had worked like the little 18650 zoomer I got on the beater bike, I would have kept them..

Looking for a report when you get it together.. IMO, good strong lights are a must have...
Old 05-23-12, 09:11 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
18650 zoomie that cost me $7.60

Got mine yesterday in the mail.
Packing was bit scary. Almost afraid to open it.

It made the trip fine.
Awesome light.
I got the last one he had up for sale.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
zommie 002.jpg (97.5 KB, 9 views)

Old 05-23-12, 10:59 AM
triple chainring club

Bikes: 2010 KONA PH.D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
That mount from Tmart is cool, it will work..Where the two fish type mounts shine is when you got bigger diameter lights. I be running 26650s In fact this morning I am on pretty bike, thank you.. It has two brightazz 26650 that mowed everything out its way when I turn them on. They both are on two fish type mounts..

Here is another good one for 18650 or smaller lights..

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/univers...-15642?item=30

Now on the zooming. I had two Keygos M12s. They are 26650 and give off good light in all areas of the zoom. However, when mounted, they zoomed on their own. I was told by others to get a better O ring and that would solve it. I opted for getting the same light by the same company, less the zoom. That light is the Keygos M10.. Love it.. However, if the M12s had worked like the little 18650 zoomer I got on the beater bike, I would have kept them..

Looking for a report when you get it together.. IMO, good strong lights are a must have...
Yes! strong lights are important; especially for the night rides. Thanks for the info about the mounts & the o-rings on the zoomie; i'll have to keep an eye on that if it starts auto-zooming on me. I should have everything delivered by the end of the week and hopefully get some pics up over the weekend.