Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Camping Trip

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Bicycle Camping Trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-12, 06:48 PM

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion Sport DLX, Trek 420, Schwinn Sierra, Schwinn Hurricane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycle Camping Trip

Last week Thursday my wife and I went on a bicycle camping trip. 27 miles each direction with trailers.

I have the most wonderfullest, beautifullest, brilliantest, sexiest wife EVAR! My wife is such a trooper. She asked me months ago what I wanted to do for our anniversary and I suggested camping. She remembered that I'd said I wanted to go bike camping someday and she suggested that we do that... so I found a campground within reach.

The trip out per Google Maps was supposed to be 21 miles, but we missed a turn-off that wasn't marked and ended up going 6 miles extra. Due to not knowing the route at that point, and it getting dark, and combining that with the fact that my quads AND hamstrings were starting to cramp (I took most of the weight in my trailer), we got a bit worried before finally finding the park. We finally found it, found our campsite and were good for the evening.

Friday morning it became apparent that the tiny stoves we'd purchased were not cutting the mustard... well in truth they weren't heating the coffee - BOOOOOOO - and Friday afternoon I went down to the marina shop to buy some charcoal. Wife stayed back to gather firewood. On the way there, the thunderstorm we'd been hearing in the distance suddenly wasn't in the distance anymore. Summer thunderstorms are no joke here. I got back with a way-overpriced bag of charcoal to find my wife wandering around with her flatbed trailer gathering firewood, soaked to the skin. I asked her if she was alright and she grinned at me and said "I'm having a BALL!" It was a torrential downpour for about an hour, then seemed to clear up and go away. Seemed being the operative word.

Later, dinner was mostly cooked when the skies opened up and poured buckets of warm water on us... our frying pan was literally filling up with water as I tried to cook the last fish fillet. We sat there in the rain and ate our dinner with our pathetic little LED lantern valiantly struggling to light the table - and ultimately failing.

We retired under the eave of the bathrooms for a few minutes so that my wife could use the facilities and I could have a cigarette, to find a bunch of snow-birds hanging out and laughing at us, LOL. They were actually very nice.

Got back to the tent, pulled out the cards, scrabble and crossword puzzle book and hid out from the rain. After about 2 hours, the tent started leaking. Not bad for a $25 cheapie! Tent only leaked a little near the door and we used our only towel to squeegee water out of the sleeping bags at the feet. It was warm out (duh) so we stayed reasonably comfortable all night. Woke up to a beautiful morning.

For the ride home, we had been planning on taking the original route back, but were advised that most of the roads that way were gravel and dirt and wouldn't be good on a bike, so we came home the way we went. The last 8 miles after the rest stop were awful. The entire way back from there was a slight uphill grade, and we had about a 5mph headwind. Both of us were quite grumpy until we got back into town. That part sucked. Happy to get home though, and glad we did the trip. We'll be doing it again.

Packed and ready to go.

Rest stop about 8 miles out of town.

Home for the next 5 days.

Cypress tree in the middle of the lake.

The obligatory flat that had to be fixed before going home.

Loaded and on the way home.
Old 06-20-12, 08:18 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
You're ready for BRAA. Bicycle Ride Around Arkansas (BRAA). It's in April. There is also a Training BRAA.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 06-20-12, 08:52 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm itching for a camping trip too. I broke some ribs in the early spring, so couldn't do any camping. But I'm largely healed now. The weather is decent, if a little too hot.

Last year I did a couple of 80 mile roundtrips to a county park on the Des Moines River. Basically 40 miles up on a new trail. Overnight camping. 40 miles back next day.

I use 4 panniers and my sleeping pad on the rear rack. 2-person tent and some lightweight sleeping equipment.

I do like those trailers though. Pretty neat looking.

Last edited by gerv; 06-20-12 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-20-12, 09:20 PM

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion Sport DLX, Trek 420, Schwinn Sierra, Schwinn Hurricane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
I'm itching for a camping trip too. I broke some ribs in the early spring, so couldn't do any camping. But I'm largely healed now. The weather is decent, if a little too hot.

Last year I did a couple of 80 mile roundtrips to a county park on the Des Moines River. Basically 40 miles up on a new trail. Overnight camping. 40 miles back next day.

I use 4 panniers and my sleeping pad on the rear rack. 2-person tent and some lightweight sleeping equipment.

I do like those trailers though. Pretty neat looking.
That's a nice looking rig.
Old 06-20-12, 11:06 PM

Bikes: CCM 21 speed big box special.....

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where did you keep the beer lol.
Old 06-20-12, 11:38 PM
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^Great touring rig.
Old 06-21-12, 12:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotiascotia
Where did you keep the beer lol.
Me, or Gerv?

If you mean me, check the blue soft-sided cooler on the front of my wife's flatbed trailer. That was full of beer.

She told me: "I've got the tent, the sleeping bags and the beer. If we get separated, I'm good."
Old 06-21-12, 04:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like fun! We enjoy bicycle camping too.

This is my usual camping load. My husband carries tent, stove and two kids on his bike. Although this summer I think we're going to take a short trip and let the older kiddo pilot himself. He has trouble when we get past 15-20 miles, though, and our favorite camping haunts are all in the 30-50 mile range. Gotta see if I can find something closer to home . . .
Attached Images
Old 06-21-12, 05:05 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Love bike camping, love camping in general. Just don't get to do enough of it!

I just recently finished a expedition bike build up for some planned trips this fall (too hot in the summer). We have a couple of state parks that have campsites that are only accessible by MTB or hiking. Can't wait to get out there.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-21-12, 07:13 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CarFreeFam4
Looks like fun! We enjoy bicycle camping too.

This is my usual camping load. My husband carries tent, stove and two kids on his bike. Although this summer I think we're going to take a short trip and let the older kiddo pilot himself. He has trouble when we get past 15-20 miles, though, and our favorite camping haunts are all in the 30-50 mile range. Gotta see if I can find something closer to home . . .
Wow... that is one cool setup (as long as I'm not the one peddling it...)

Do you find the front end kind of floats?
Old 06-21-12, 10:18 PM
No longer here

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's so friggin awesome that even you don't know! Mad props on an anniversary WELL spent,my friend!

Our 20th is coming this October,and (especially with recent marrital issues worked through) with my Wife showing her first eve real interest in learning to ride to "share that world with me",I'd LOVE to do something similar. Awesome trip you had,my friend,awesome
Old 06-22-12, 02:39 AM

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Congratz on your first bike camping trip! I just got back from Asia a month ago after 10 months of cycling touring and looking forward to exploring my own country for a change!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1870[1].jpg (97.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2659[1].jpg (99.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 06-22-12, 10:52 AM
No longer here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fasteryoufool
Last week Thursday my wife and I went on a bicycle camping trip. 27 miles each direction with trailers.

I have the most wonderfullest, beautifullest, brilliantest, sexiest wife EVAR! My wife is such a trooper. She asked me months ago what I wanted to do for our anniversary and I suggested camping. She remembered that I'd said I wanted to go bike camping someday and she suggested that we do that... so I found a campground within reach.

The trip out per Google Maps was supposed to be 21 miles, but we missed a turn-off that wasn't marked and ended up going 6 miles extra. Due to not knowing the route at that point, and it getting dark, and combining that with the fact that my quads AND hamstrings were starting to cramp (I took most of the weight in my trailer), we got a bit worried before finally finding the park. We finally found it, found our campsite and were good for the evening.

Friday morning it became apparent that the tiny stoves we'd purchased were not cutting the mustard... well in truth they weren't heating the coffee - BOOOOOOO - and Friday afternoon I went down to the marina shop to buy some charcoal. Wife stayed back to gather firewood. On the way there, the thunderstorm we'd been hearing in the distance suddenly wasn't in the distance anymore. Summer thunderstorms are no joke here. I got back with a way-overpriced bag of charcoal to find my wife wandering around with her flatbed trailer gathering firewood, soaked to the skin. I asked her if she was alright and she grinned at me and said "I'm having a BALL!" It was a torrential downpour for about an hour, then seemed to clear up and go away. Seemed being the operative word.

Later, dinner was mostly cooked when the skies opened up and poured buckets of warm water on us... our frying pan was literally filling up with water as I tried to cook the last fish fillet. We sat there in the rain and ate our dinner with our pathetic little LED lantern valiantly struggling to light the table - and ultimately failing.

We retired under the eave of the bathrooms for a few minutes so that my wife could use the facilities and I could have a cigarette, to find a bunch of snow-birds hanging out and laughing at us, LOL. They were actually very nice.

Got back to the tent, pulled out the cards, scrabble and crossword puzzle book and hid out from the rain. After about 2 hours, the tent started leaking. Not bad for a $25 cheapie! Tent only leaked a little near the door and we used our only towel to squeegee water out of the sleeping bags at the feet. It was warm out (duh) so we stayed reasonably comfortable all night. Woke up to a beautiful morning.

For the ride home, we had been planning on taking the original route back, but were advised that most of the roads that way were gravel and dirt and wouldn't be good on a bike, so we came home the way we went. The last 8 miles after the rest stop were awful. The entire way back from there was a slight uphill grade, and we had about a 5mph headwind. Both of us were quite grumpy until we got back into town. That part sucked. Happy to get home though, and glad we did the trip. We'll be doing it again.

Packed and ready to go.

I coulda SWORN I'd commented on this,but oh well-This is one of the AWESOMEST posts I've read in a long time,my friend! I LOVE the thought of doing similar with my wife She's been a non-rider all of the time I've known her,but now (and after having recently began working through some marrital issues) she shows great interest in "being a part of my world" of cycling. We'll be workingto teach her how to ride starting this weekend on her days off,and with our 20th anniversary coming this October,as well as tat Ive gathered some camping gear and already tested on a 65+ mile round trip rail trail camping ride,we're already talking about doing something like this together this year.

AWESOME trip,my friend,thank you much for sharing an putting a huge smile on this riders face
Old 06-22-12, 10:58 AM
No longer here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did,I DID comment on this thread,LOL! I didn't realise it was double posted in different sections,hahaha! Hey,at least my memory ain't gone too far off the eep end yet,eh?
Old 06-22-12, 12:38 PM
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Artkansas
You're ready for BRAA. Bicycle Ride Around Arkansas (BRAA). It's in April. There is also a Training BRAA.
I see what you did there.
Old 06-22-12, 06:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Wow... that is one cool setup (as long as I'm not the one peddling it...)

Do you find the front end kind of floats?
Yeah, it is quite a load. I would never tour with such a set-up, but for just one 30-50 mile ride it's doable. The coming home is always easier. We live at sea level, so going anywhere is uphill and coming home is back down.

The front end does float a bit, can develop of a bit of a wiggle sometimes. I have to be careful about how I load it. As long as I keep the majority of the weight in the front half of the bags/deck it's not too bad to manage. I really have just grown accustomed to how it handles because I ride with my kids on the bike most of the time anyway. The two of them add up to about 150 lbs now, so that's what I carry on a regular basis.
Old 06-23-12, 05:24 PM

Bikes: CCM 21 speed big box special.....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fasteryoufool
Me, or Gerv?

If you mean me, check the blue soft-sided cooler on the front of my wife's flatbed trailer. That was full of beer.

She told me: "I've got the tent, the sleeping bags and the beer. If we get separated, I'm good."
She carried the beer, what a keeper she is hombre!