Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't my Shimano 9sp cassette fit on this hub?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-02-12, 05:22 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

I bought this wheelset used on CL. I was under the impression that I was buying a Shimano compatible wheel set. The wheel set is a Mavic Open Pro rims with Dura Ace 7800 hubs. I was thinking that I could easily mount my 9sp cassette on this, but I was wrong. As you can see on the pics, (3 pics) https://www.flickr.com/photos/8168607...in/photostream the body that the cassette slides on to, I forgot what this body is called, but you can see they are different sizes. The patterns are pretty much identical, just different sizes. Anybody know what I might have here?

The last pic shows the 9sp cassette slides partly on this body, but not all the way.

Any and all responses is most welcomed and appreciated here.
Old 07-02-12, 05:25 PM

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
https://techdocs.shimano.com

has the answer for you...

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 07-02-12, 05:26 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
7 speed?

Old 07-02-12, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,488 Times in 2,843 Posts
https://sheldonbrown.com/k10.shtml
Old 07-02-12, 05:40 PM

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
https://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...tech_tips.html

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 07-02-12, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
shimano 10 speed with an aluminium freehub body. One of their bad ideas. I don't think that they make it any more. It is 10 speed only!
Old 07-02-12, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by User1
Hello all,

I bought this wheelset used on CL. I was under the impression that I was buying a Shimano compatible wheel set. The wheel set is a Mavic Open Pro rims with Dura Ace 7800 hubs. I was thinking that I could easily mount my 9sp cassette on this, but I was wrong. As you can see on the pics, (3 pics) https://www.flickr.com/photos/8168607...in/photostream the body that the cassette slides on to, I forgot what this body is called, but you can see they are different sizes. The patterns are pretty much identical, just different sizes. Anybody know what I might have here?
Please review this page: Shimano Dura-Ace Compatibility. There have been numerous Shimano "standards" over the years and you're facing a compatibility issue with standards from different generations. There have been at least 4 freehub-to-hub standards over the decades.

The cassettes that fit onto the freehubs have gone through multiple standards as well and they don't always correspond with the change in freehub-to-hub attachment changes. Even more problematic is that the Dura-ace gruppo typically has it's own unique variations that are different than the rest of the Shimano line.

Your problem is you're trying to use an older 9-spd cassette spline-pattern with the newer 10-spd only freehub:

https://sheldonbrown.com/images/splines-9-10.jpg

https://sheldonbrown.com/images/splinecaliper10.jpg
https://sheldonbrown.com/images/splinecaliper9.jpg

The 10-spd cassettes and freehub-bodies have a larger diameter with deeper splines to work with the aluminium freehub bodies.
Old 07-02-12, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
shimano 10 speed with an aluminium freehub body. One of their bad ideas. I don't think that they make it any more. It is 10 speed only!
This.

I have a wheelset with the 7800 too, and it only takes 10-speed cassettes.
Old 07-02-12, 10:15 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Danno and everyone else for your answers. I had a feeling I would have to update practically my whole bike to get the wheels to work.

So I'm safe if I just get a Shimano 10spd cassette looks like.

Thank you again for the excellent responses. I will be spending my time reading up on each of the links.
Old 07-02-12, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Thanks Danno and everyone else for your answers. I had a feeling I would have to update practically my whole bike to get the wheels to work.

So I'm safe if I just get a Shimano 10spd cassette looks like.

Thank you again for the excellent responses. I will be spending my time reading up on each of the links.
I almost made the same mistake, let's see, about 4 years ago? I was looking for wheels on ebay and at the time I thought that all current shimano compatable hubs were 8-9-10 speed compatable. I think that 7800 was the one and only freewheel body they put out that was 10 only. All the hubs before that and all afterwards, I believe, are 8-9-10.

Just a thought, rather than changing your entire drive train, check to see if you can just change the freehub body. I have no idea if it's possible with these hubs, but it might be a reasonably cheap option.
Old 07-02-12, 11:59 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I almost made the same mistake, let's see, about 4 years ago? I was looking for wheels on ebay and at the time I thought that all current shimano compatable hubs were 8-9-10 speed compatable. I think that 7800 was the one and only freewheel body they put out that was 10 only. All the hubs before that and all afterwards, I believe, are 8-9-10.

Just a thought, rather than changing your entire drive train, check to see if you can just change the freehub body. I have no idea if it's possible with these hubs, but it might be a reasonably cheap option.

Well I would but I'm in the process of also building up a cyclocross bike. What I plan on doing is using parts that come off my current go to road bike, which these wheels are for. Looks like I'm going to update the parts to Dura Ace 7800 and use the 9spd parts for the CX bike.

I was under the impression that I could easily use the 9spd cassette for this 10spd hub. The most I'd have to worry about was maybe having to get a spacer to accommodate the space not occupied. Boy was I mistaken there!
Old 07-03-12, 06:55 AM

Bikes: Bosomworth '84, Morrison Pursuit, Tarini Prima & Firenza, Miyata 710 '86, Fuji Finest '82?

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remember that the number of speeds on the shifter has to match the cassette.

Aluminium freehubs are prone to getting chewed to death by every cassette on the market except the super expensive Dura-Ace etc ones which have aluminium spiders on both large and middle cogs.

The protection these offer is temporary however. To see the future, look at what Shimano sells in 7 and 8 speed cassettes.
Shimano will stop making first 10s Dura-Ace relatively soon, then Ultegra. They will eventually settle on supplying perhaps one of their two bottom lines of cassettes.

Cassettes which are pinned together, and even those which have e.g. 19 and 17T riveted together separately feel solid when new but put them in the bike and they tend to get loose and start gnawing.

I don't know whether non-spidered cassettes always chew aluminium splines but it sure is common.
Old 07-03-12, 12:16 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I called Shimano North America about changing the freehub body on my 7800 and was told this is not possible.
Old 07-03-12, 12:59 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jed19
I called Shimano North America about changing the freehub body on my 7800 and was told this is not possible.

Ouch!!! I was just looking to see if it can be done. Hopefully by the time I need to do it there will be a work around on it, if there isn't one already.
Old 07-03-12, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
This.

It is the same bad design. They replaced it with this. https://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=728300630986
Old 07-03-12, 04:42 PM
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
You cannot replace the Freehub body but if you are patient and careful enough to grind out the splines on your 9S cassette it is possible to mount it on that Freehub.
Old 07-03-12, 04:43 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
It is the same bad design. They replaced it with this. https://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=728300630986
Not necessarily a bad design. I think Shimano redesigned the freehub mostly to accomodate 8, 9 and 10-Speed cassettes. I keep reading how it's a bad design, but it has worked well for me. The other issue was using aluminum in making the freehub, which steel cassettes can eat into. Again, mine has been good in that respect too.
Old 07-03-12, 10:53 PM
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Hopefully by the time I need to do it there will be a work around on it, if there isn't one already.
You could always just remove the body and chuck it in a lathe. Of course then you'd have to live with vulnerable splines, but I'm pretty sure you can get spidered cassettes in the normal size.
Old 07-03-12, 11:50 PM

Bikes: '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '98 Fuji Touring w/ Shimano Nexus premium, '06 Jamis Nova 853 cross frame set up as commuter, '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro 853 back up training bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This.

This is why you see 7800 hubs and wheelsets going being offered for much lower prices on Ebay than 7850 which has the titanium freehub that's compatible with 9-speed.
Old 07-06-12, 09:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok I'm new to all this but I remembered something in the maintenance book I downloaded to my nook. It states- "Shimano 110 speed cog sets will fit on either type of hub body offered by shimano, But the 10 speed only body found on Dur-Ace and Ultegra freehubs wont accept 8-spee, 9-speed or any sram or aftermarket cog sets." Following the link provided by mrrabbit that is a 10-speed hub. Hope this helps.
Old 07-07-12, 04:13 AM
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Actually come to think of it, the lathe is the fancy way; you could easily just file one down. Bit harder if you're a southpaw, though.
Old 10-11-13, 09:45 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Both Formula and Zipp offered wheels that came with the 10-sp only hubs, as well as Shimano. The Formula and Zipp internals were the same, and used the same deeper-spline body made of aluminum. I've answered 2 CL ads for nice Shimano wheels, and found them, upon arrival, to be 10-sp only on the rear. I've not see any manufacturer offer a replacement freehub.

I had two sets of upper-level Formula hubs, one laced to a set of Alex Equation rims and another to a set of Alex ACE 19 rims. Both wheelsets were OEM on Ultegra- and DA-equipped "packaged" bikes. Everything about the hubs was identical, but the carrier on one was 10-sp only. I took them apart, hoping to see a possible swap, and the internals were slightly different, so no-go. I still have the ACE-19 wheels, because they're pretty nice, very strong. I have a couple of extra 9-sp cassettes, and I may elect to modify one to see how it works.

Some of the wheels can be had for a great deal, for that reason. A simple wooden-handled file can make short work (an hour or less) of most cogs to deepen slots in the cassette cogs by 1mm. Like some posts say, in some cases you only need to work on 5 of the cogs; depends on the freehub.

I knew Shimano was doing that from about 2004-2008, but I didn't realize Shimano was still doing that by the 7800 series. I have a set of WH-7700 wheels and a set of 7900 wheels, plus a hand-built set with 7900 hubs. A friend of mine has some 9000 hubs. All accept 8/9/10 cassettes. Lately, I was looking on CL and saw a nice set of WH7800 wheels, which are also on eBay. The price seemed right, and I discussed them with another BF member, and he pointed out they are 10-sp only. I'm still considering it, but am just not sure. Maybe with a heck of a price break.
Old 10-11-13, 10:08 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I bought a wheelset like that because it was cheap. I only paid 30 dollars for the wheelset and was plenty happy. I just disassembled the rear wheel and replaced the 10 speed only freehub with a different 105 8-9-10 speed freehub. Reused the same spokes. Wheel went together perfectly and works great. Got the 8-9-10 speed freehub at my co-op for super cheap.
Old 10-13-13, 12:14 PM
bike whisperer

No shortage of Shimano hubs to swap it for, regardless of spoke configuration.

BTW, any particular reason you bumped a year-old thread, Robbie?
Old 10-13-13, 05:44 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
No shortage of Shimano hubs to swap it for, regardless of spoke configuration.

BTW, any particular reason you bumped a year-old thread, Robbie?
Darn zombies...

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..