Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Single Speed Cities

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Single Speed Cities

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-12, 06:55 AM
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Single Speed Cities

Alright! So we've got the single speed picture for Chicago and we've pretty much determined that Chicago is primarily a single speed kinda town due to its flat terrain. The only deterent to single speeds in Chicago is the wind. However, there must be more cities in North America where single speeds would thrive. I know that being an original from Ohio, I remember cycling most of Cleveland in basically one gear when I was riding my old English racer many years ago. I also remember riding both a Cruiser and a 10 speed in Key West, many years ago, where having gears was absolutely useless.

OTOH, having a single speed in Northern California seems practically useless to me, unless you limit your riding to within certain specific ranges that don't include mountains or hills. Since, I've been here in Northern California, all I can say, is that, if you like hills, you'll just love the Bay Area. This place is a genuine smorgasbord of hills and mountains. Which to me, would quite logically rule out single speeds...Right?...No. Wrong! In San Francisco, quite possibly the most hill and mountain chock-filled city in the Northern Hemisphere, there are thousands of single speeds. I can't for the life of me determine where these cyclists live or where they're going. However, I would presume that they all live and commute within the flattest portion of the city, and that would be the Mission district.

Are there other cities out there more like Chicago where the terrain begs for single speeds?

Are there other cities out there where you wouldn't expect so many single speeds, but their numbers illustrate their overwhelming popularity anyway, like in San Francisco?

What city do you live in and how single speed friendly (flat) is your city's terrain?

Last edited by SlimRider; 07-05-12 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-05-12, 07:08 AM
Hi, I'm Bryan.

Bikes: 2010 Focus Mares

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it depends on the person. Misskaz and I both went to Austin this spring with our fixed gears. We were both running 46/16, though I have 700c wheels and she has 650b. I loved the hills, she hated them.
Old 07-05-12, 07:10 AM
Cyclist

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Columbus, OH. I built up a fixie after realizing that I didn't often shift gears. Pulling a trailer, carrying a lot of weight, or riding in the snow, gears are nice to have. Washington D.C. wouldn't be bad, but there are some hills in Maryland, so it would depend how far out you went.
Old 07-05-12, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Although I don't live in the US I can give you some input...I live in a really hilly city and I climb like 300m everyday on my commute and I don't have any problem with it. You get used to it, when I started riding FG 48/19 it was hell now I run 50/17 and it's a breeze.
Old 07-05-12, 07:20 AM

Bikes: https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/2008-se-lager-brown-6612

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 8bits
Although I don't live in the US I can give you some input...I live in a really hilly city and I climb like 300m everyday on my commute and I don't have any problem with it. You get used to it, when I started riding FG 48/19 it was hell now I run 50/17 and it's a breeze.
Maybe you got that backwards? You're saying 79 gear inches is easier for hills than 68 gear inches?
Old 07-05-12, 07:24 AM
Guitar Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toronto is pretty damn flat
Old 07-05-12, 07:26 AM

Bikes: 2011 Steamroller; 1998 Cannondale F-400; 1981 Motobecane Jubilee Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I commute from Southeastern, Massachusetts to Providence, Rhode Island on a fixed gear everyday. Depending on the route I take, it's anywhere between 26 and 40 miles a day. Most of the ride is rolling hills. My house is located on the second highest point in Bristol County Massachusetts, so almost every destination is down hill or up hill for me. I'm currently riding 44/17 gearing.

My commute on a fixed gear started out as rehabiliation for nearly fatal leg injury that I suffered last year. I owned the fixed gear bike before the injury, but was still getting used to the ride, now I'm hooked.

The idea that single-speed/fixed gear bikes can't thrive in a hilly topography is a complete myth, most likely started by some skinny jean wearing, Pabst Blue Ribbon drinker, who found that the skinny jeans constricted at the knee whenever they needed to pedal up hill.

If you have the will power, stamina, and conditioning, it can be done.

Last edited by SteamingAlong; 07-05-12 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-05-12, 07:28 AM
sqrl

Bikes: bieks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmytango
I think it depends on the person. Misskaz and I both went to Austin this spring with our fixed gears. We were both running 46/16, though I have 700c wheels and she has 650b. I loved the hills, she hated them.
650c. Not b. And I didn't hate them, I just had to HTFU.
Old 07-05-12, 07:31 AM
Hi, I'm Bryan.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by misskaz
650c. Not b. And I didn't hate them, I just had to HTFU.
That's what I meant. Also, you told me repeatedly that you hated them, so I assumed that meant that you hated them.
Old 07-05-12, 07:31 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteamingAlong
I commute from Southeastern, Massachusetts to Providence, Rhode Island on a fixed gear everyday. Depending on the route I take, it's anywhere between 26 and 40 miles a day. Most of the ride is rolling hills. My house is located on the second highest point in Bristol County Massachusetts, so almost every destination is down hill or up hill for me.

The idea that single-speed/fixed gear bikes can't thrive in a hilly topography is a complete myth. If you have the will power and conditioning, it can be done.
While your testimony does indeed fill my heart with refreshing awe and inspiration, I do feel that you'd have a sudden change of heart here in the Bay Area...
Old 07-05-12, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LessonLearned
Maybe you got that backwards? You're saying 79 gear inches is easier for hills than 68 gear inches?
Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 07-05-12, 08:01 AM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I don't even live in a big town, I literally live in the country and the terrain where I live is that wherever direction I go I have to climb.
Old 07-05-12, 08:02 AM

Bikes: https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/2008-se-lager-brown-6612

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bat56
Makes perfect sense to me.
Right on, just checking. For my weak little legs, I would have to get off and walk my bike up the hills if it was geared at 79 GI. Of course the downhills would be more fun than with 68 GI but yeah, I guess I was thinking about that all wrong - apologies.
Old 07-05-12, 08:04 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dannihilator
I don't even live in a big town, I literally live in the country and the terrain where I live is that wherever direction I go I have to climb.
So what exactly are you riding?
Old 07-05-12, 08:49 AM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
So what exactly are you riding?
On the road, a '77 trek 930 conversion. 42x15 gearing.
Old 07-05-12, 08:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While your testimony does indeed fill my heart with refreshing awe and inspiration, I do feel that you'd have a sudden change of heart here in the Bay Area...
I love riding my bike in the Bay Area.
Old 07-05-12, 08:59 AM
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRealFaux
+1

Went on an impromptu climb yesterday, 25ish miles, 5k-ish feet of climbing, and severely over geared.

I loved it.
Old 07-05-12, 09:05 AM
Fakenger

Bikes: Yo Eddy Team, Serotta Colorado II

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boise Idaho. Tons of folks on SS/FG here, myself included. Probably moreso because sw8t fixxays are hip and all that, but our terrain is still super flat. Unless you venture into the foothills for some real riding, the only hills in town are a few "benches." 50-100 ft max elevation gain. The rest of the city is a pancake. The only elevation on my 11 mile commute is the interstate overpass...

OTOH, we have some amazing climbing here too. The road to Bogus Basin ski resort is 3400 ft over 172 turns. I can do it in 1:10 race pace. The pros do it in 50mins. The ride down those 172 turns is even funner!
Old 07-05-12, 09:17 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Fort Worth is mostly okay for FG although they aren't terribly common. The Trinity River winds through the city, and there are bluffs/ridges on either side of the river that make for some tough climbs, but they can largely be avoided with a few extra miles to find a shallower climb. No mountains though, just some hills that aren't particularly long.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-05-12, 09:33 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRealFaux
So you mean you love Nob Hill and the Buena Vista!..Right?

Originally Posted by Nagrom_
+1

Went on an impromptu climb yesterday, 25ish miles, 5k-ish feet of climbing, and severely over geared.

I loved it.
So if you did this on a single speed, what in the world could you do with on a multi-geared bike?

...And just to think that you loved it!

PS.

Don't you guys live in the Mission?

Last edited by SlimRider; 07-05-12 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-05-12, 09:40 AM
sqrl

Bikes: bieks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmytango
That's what I meant. Also, you told me repeatedly that you hated them, so I assumed that meant that you hated them.
Me *****ing out loud about how much it sucks while mashing up hills is how I motivate myself. I do the same thing during CX races.
Old 07-05-12, 09:41 AM
Hi, I'm Bryan.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by misskaz
Me *****ing out loud about how much it sucks while mashing up hills is how I motivate myself. I do the same thing during CX races.
I see. Either way, I love the hills there.
Old 07-05-12, 09:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Houston. "Hill" work must be done on overpasses. Or just riding into the almost constant South-South East sea breeze/wind coming off the gulf. Yay, humidity!

Last edited by phosphohorn; 07-05-12 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-05-12, 10:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Houston is flat and spread out, perfect for single/fixed riding. Pick a nice gear for zipping across town and HTFU when it's really windy.
Old 07-05-12, 10:17 AM
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
So if you did this on a single speed, what in the world could you do with on a multi-geared bike?

...And just to think that you loved it!
I actually find it easier to climb fixed, than on a roadie. Climbing is all about keeping your momentum, and if you lose it, you're done.

The pedals don't stop turning, so you're forced to keep your momentum, so you're forced to keep climbing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.