Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

SRAM Automatix (A2) on a Brompton :)

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-12, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

A few of us here have been trying out these hubs with the recent re-emergence of the old two speed auto and kick back hubs both with and without coaster brakes. Both SRAM and Sturmey Archer have now come to the market with new versions.

I initially came across the S/A, S2C kick back coaster brake version which I tried and hated. The change is inconsistent and there have been cases of it locking up. S/A's customer service is also appalling when you email them about this hub. They even removed the face book page which contained lots of complaints.

I have have recently fitted the new SRAM Automatix to my belt driven Moulton TSR2 and its a dream to use. That too has the S/A S2C fitted as standard.

I have toyed with the idea of fitting one to my Brompton for a while, but there are a few issues that initially put me off. The main being it was initially only available with 36h flanges which meant using different non stock Brompton rims or Brompton blank rims drilled with 36h which no longer seem to be available. Sun CR18s would suffice but I am not a fan of the 16" version with their shallow well making getting tires on and off difficult. The auto gear change point would also be quite low as the first A2s to appear were speced for 26"+ rims. Another problem is that the hub comes with an OLN of 120mm and spacers for up to 130mm. As we know the Brompton rear frame spacing is around 112mm

Anyway I noticed that 28h versions are becoming available in Germany initially without the coaster brake and specified for smaller wheel rims 20"-24" so the auto gear change point would be more appropriate.

Well my A2 turned up from Germany (good value at the moment with the weak Euro) and using some 148mm spokes I laced it up. The thin flanges require you use washers to get a good fit.

The next problem was the wider OLN. I spoke to some of the engineers at work and one reckoned the hub would be fine using only one of the two locking nuts as long as I "set" it when I tighten up the wheel nuts. He also took a mm or so off the single nut in the lathe bringing the OLN down to a healthy 115mm which meant it then just queezed into the rear 112-113mm Brompton spacing snugly.

The hub is specified for a 16T sprocket minimum which just fits in the frame without fouling the end of the chain stay. I guess you could use smaller sprockets but when I tried one you can't then get the dust cover on and the chain line is all wrong.

SRAM hubs tend to have their cog spacing/chain line slightly different to S/A. I wish these guys would standardise, though at least the sprockets are interchangeable. Using a smaller flat sprocket and different chain line (its about 2-3mm out) would also cause problems with the chain tension jockey wheels which would require washers to space them.

Because of the larger sprocket I swapped out my 50T main (which I was using for my S/A three speed hub) for a 54T which gives me a nice range of 56" and 76", better than than the stock Brompton two speed 56" and 74"

Here are some pics

The hub axle is a little long on the non drive side but can easily be cut/shortened.

I have been out for a ride and it changes up/down about 8-8.5 mph. I marked the locking nut and it is fine not moving once I set it to get the right pressure on the bearings (basically hand tight). The wheel nuts then clamp it up tight in the frame so nothing moves.

I live and cycle around Cambridge and it seems perfect for that, plus my Bromptons have added electric assist. Getting rid of a cable is nice and not even having to think about changing gear is good as well.

Weight wise there is hardly anything in it. The SRAM A2 is about 100g heavier than the S/A three speed, but by the time you remove cables, fittings and changer/trigger it balances out.

I will report back later if I get any problems. It might be worth trying the 28H SRAM A2 WITH coaster brake when it comes out later this summer, but again the tensioner can then be problematic.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited by jerrysimon; 07-18-12 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-20-12, 09:08 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by jerrysimon
S/A's customer service is also appalling when you email them about this hub. They even removed the face book page which contained lots of complaints.
Nope. Facebook eliminated the "forum" feature.
Old 07-20-12, 12:23 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tcs
Nope. Facebook eliminated the "forum" feature.
Oh I heard a rumour of that. My oppologies.

That said I emailed them several times about problems with the hub initially receiving no replies and when I finally pressed them for one, they were rude and offhand. This was not a one off I tried two of the hubs.

No problem though it worked out well, I took my business to SRAM and as stated much prefer and am glad I found the A2.

Regards

Jerry
Old 07-20-12, 12:51 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I replaced the spokes ,a couple broke , on my AW3, Brompton spokes are 12 gage
thickies , for durability.. I didnt need brass washers..
but it looks like it went together .. Extra leftside axle is useful .
a trailer hitch , perhaps ?

so you are actually not pedaling, so much as getting the Pedal-electric motor doing the work,

then the Trailer to haul stuff is definitely practical..
Old 07-21-12, 02:12 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I always pedal as I use one of the smallest/lightest low powered motor hubs available. Obviously you are right though the e-assistance is helping me by taking some load (maybe 60% max) and I can then dial in as much or less power as I need. From this perspective the A2 hub on the rear is a perfect match.

If I had no assisted power then I think I would favour another couple of mph before changing say around 10-11 mph. I may take the hub apart and fiddle with the spring. Any pointers on how to do this would be helpful.

Although I can see an application I am not really interested in a trailer. I tend to use my Brompton/small wheeled bikes for small messages and even have the big Brompton open bag for local shopping/grocery trips. If I need to do a large food shop I order on line or take the car lol

Regards

Jerry
Old 07-21-12, 09:50 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Horses for courses, I guess .. my Carry freedom city trailer is a good match .
Mine currently not used often, though.. ( wish the bag was more watertight,
for 1, the Zipper choice could have been better)

Importing seller in the states stopped selling them, so now buyers have to go to UK sellers
Old 12-10-12, 03:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello. Today I bought
and its cheaper than
SRAM 36h Automatix 2 Speed Coaster Brake Rear Hub
is that means that SRAM 36h Automatix 2 Speed Rear Hub has no coaster brake or it has it, but just dont have a brake arm?
Old 12-11-12, 04:14 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Not sure I really understand the question

The SRAM 36H Automatix comes in two versions, with or without a coaster brake. The 28h version initially just came without a coaster brake but has been available more recently, in limited supply, with a coaster brake. I think more are due this month. The advantage for me of the 28H version is that I could use a standard Brompton rim to lace it into. Although Sun produce double walled 16" rims I find fitting tires to those a pain due to the very shallow rim well.

PS I have been using this setup for over four months, commuting every day (10 mile round trip) and this hub is wonderful. I would add that my commute in Cambridge is pretty flat and I have a light e-assistance set up

Regards

Jerry

Last edited by jerrysimon; 12-11-12 at 04:17 AM.
Old 12-15-12, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 189 Posts
One advantage of this hub (coaster brake version) is no need for any brake or shift cables. Haven't seen one yet but I would imagine it's a very clean look.

Don
Old 12-15-12, 11:40 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Agreed plus no need to change brake blocks and no wear on the rim.

Unfortuantely the coaster brake version is still not available for the 28h version only the 36h one.

Jerry
Old 08-02-14, 01:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Hey there,

how's the experience so far with this hub?
Any other long-term testers?

The weight without coaster brake is supposed to be below 800g
-> plus saving on all other parts the Brommi 2gear would need, cables, shifter etc.

Anyone ever did the maths what's the potential weight saving?

btw. what's the weight of the brompton hub for the 2gear?

Last edited by questionesse; 08-02-14 at 02:10 AM. Reason: add
Old 08-04-14, 09:43 AM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
noone?
Old 08-04-14, 10:02 AM

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nope, but I'd guess the weights would be very close since the 2 speed hub is a lot lighter.

Rear brake, probably 140g
brake lever around 75g
Gear shifter... 50g? Less maybe.
cable...I forget, 80g x 2, or something like that.
Old 08-11-14, 10:21 AM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
What's the weight of the 2speed hub anyways?
Old 08-11-14, 04:46 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
720-1420gr,depending on brake setup.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 08-11-14, 05:20 PM
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Post some pictures already,... I want to see these babies!