Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

newbie here looking to get into cycling

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 03:32 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey ive been searching for a fun activity that i enjoy and will help with my weight loss goals, so im looking into cycling. Im 6' and currently weigh in at 430lbs. How do i start cycling to lose weight? The problem is i feel embarressed to go outside and ride a bike....
Old 08-16-12, 03:41 PM

Bikes: GT Zum 2012, Xtracycle Radish 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is an inspiring story of a guy bigger than you. Hope it helps. https://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...r-world_226368
Old 08-16-12, 03:44 PM
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Welcome to the Clyde/Athena Forum.

This is a great place to get started. Some here have some truly inspirational stories.

Might I suggest reading the "New Embarrassed Rider" thread https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...arrassed-rider

And the sticky thread ... scroll down to the area on bike buying...lots of links to good info there: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...tickies-linked

How long has it been since you rode a bike? What type of riding to you hope to do (road, dirt trails, multi-use paths, crushed rock trails etc).
Old 08-16-12, 05:15 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a clyde looking for a road bike

Hey im looking to get into cycling and am looking to get a road bike because of the efficiency of it, im currently at 430lbs and want to start cycling. Im guessing it would have to be a custom bike to handle my weight? Would any of you know what sort of bike i would need? would a normal steel road bike handle my weight? like this one https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/3188529911.html

Last edited by cycling monster; 08-16-12 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-16-12, 05:16 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The folks on 248 would know.

https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...(200-lb-91-kg)

Also, your should prob get your doctor's clearance before you start riding.
Old 08-16-12, 05:43 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod / Scott Spark 930 / Scott Sportster 20 / Jamis Allegro 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go speak to a bike shop...get their opinion and get them to show you what they can offer.

They'll most likely put you onto a mountain bike.

Some manufacturers don't have weight limits - I don't believe Cannondale have limits on their supersix's. When I bought mine (I'm 102kgs) I was a little concerned about weight and the LBS said they had put 140kg guys on them with no worries.

Obviously you're a little heavier than that at the moment. But I'd go speak with them. Whatever you end up buying, just make sure you'll be covered by a manufacturers warranty in the event something does go wrong. Specifically ask if your weight will be an issue for the manufacturer...get them to check.

And as the dude above says get the docs okay before starting to ride - unless you're a 430lb, 7 foot pile of muscle.
Old 08-16-12, 05:56 PM

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The "248"? I didn't realize the C&A forum had been elevated to numeric status.

Anyhow, yes, you will probably get more responses if you pose this question in the Clydes & Athenas forum. There are quite a few perticipants there who may not venture into the road forum (the 41) and notice this.

In general it is not frames that you need to worry about, but, wheels. Additionally, at your weight, you aren't going to be able to fully utilize classic road racing gear ratios and will probably be better served by a bike that has a triple crank and low ratios. Also, at your weight you will be challenged to assume a normal, low, road riding position. With these things in mind and the fact that it is easier to build a durable 26" wheel, a mountain bike may be you're best starting point. For efficiencies sake, you could easily mount a set of 26"x 1.25" high pressure slick tires.

If you head over to the Clyde and Athena forum and do a search/review of recent threads you will find several that ask questions very similiar to yours.
Old 08-16-12, 06:07 PM
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CallMeBalls
This is an inspiring story of a guy bigger than you. Hope it helps. https://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...r-world_226368
There's many stories like that: Scott Cutshall, lost 300+ lbs (here's his blog), another blog, and if you dig around here, on this sub-forum, you can find several similar stories.

Regarding your questions, I can only speak from my own experience. When I started riding again as an adult, I first went with a vintage mountain bike. It was cheap, and the upright riding position was more comfortable. I had a gut/paunch at the time (still do, though less of one), and had I gone with a road bike right out of the gate, I'm pretty sure I would have quit soon after. The riding position on a road bike means your legs will be pushing into your gut as you pedal. Too, you need some core strength on a road bike, because if you're putting too much weight on your hands, they will be getting numb.

I did around 1400 miles on that vintage mountain bike before I upgraded to a used road bike.
Old 08-16-12, 06:46 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
You are in the right place.....

the idea of finding a vintage mountain bike is solid.

also start slow...so you only go x minutes or x distance the first day....just do it and before you know the minutes and distances will increase.

another thing I think is key is that you should select lower (easier) gears so that you pedal faster, not harder. better for the knees

And when you do go out, you should be proud. you are taking charge and changing......

Old 08-16-12, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZippyThePinhead
There's many stories like that: Scott Cutshall, lost 300+ lbs (here's his blog), another blog, and if you dig around here, on this sub-forum, you can find several similar stories.
Hey Zippy...how surprised was I when I saw MY blog listed here! Thanks for the plug, man!

To the OP - Just do it. Listen to the guys in the Clydesdale/Athena forum. Those guys have been round a while and know what they are talking about. I just started back on my bike today after my job and a cardiac issue kept me off of my bike for over 6 months. I made it a whole block. LOL. BUT, while i was breathing fire from my lungs and putting my legs in a cup, I was looking to tomorrow so i could suffer again!

I dont ride a road bike, but a Hybrid (Trek 7000). When I hit my goal weight of 190, im getting a road bike. You may want to look at a hybrid or MTB as was suggested. Again, just listen to the guys in this forum...they wont steer you wrong.