Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Awesome package recieved from Mr. Kurt at The Headbadge (LOOK frame)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-13-12, 02:04 PM
- Bikes Not Bombs -

Bikes: 1986 LOOK KG86, 19XX Les Ephgrave?, 1983 Nishiki Royal, 199X Nukeproof MTB, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

So I received this package a couple days ago, after working with Kurt (cudak888) for a couple months on getting this frame. It was totally worth the wait.
I am now working on getting a group together for it. So many ideas have been filling my mind for the build, but of course I wanted to hear all of your opinions. I know the original group was DA7400, but they had switched to Campy record at some point.

Anyway, Pictures!

NOS LOOK KG86

Also, does anyone have any idea as to decoding LOOK's serial numbers? I have searched, with no avail.

Last edited by KvltBryce; 09-13-12 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 02:16 PM
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
for some reason I cant see campy record on that bike,

it would be like Darth Vader in a top hat and tails.
Old 09-13-12, 02:22 PM
- Bikes Not Bombs -

Bikes: 1986 LOOK KG86, 19XX Les Ephgrave?, 1983 Nishiki Royal, 199X Nukeproof MTB, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by puchfinnland
for some reason I cant see campy record on that bike,

it would be like Darth Vader in a top hat and tails.

Yeah, that was what was on it when this frame won Le Tour though, I believe. Although I am going to stray from Record (at least for now) due to lack of funds and desire for a more original build. I am thinking about getting a Mavic group together, keepin' it French.
Old 09-13-12, 02:35 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Very nice! I am a fan of the old Look bikes. BTW, DA 7400. That's what I'm going to do with this one next.

Old 09-13-12, 02:37 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Ermagehrd. I love that frame.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-13-12, 02:44 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Wow, that is in fantastic shape - was it ever built-up? Kurt really passed along a beauty.

C-Record would be the shiz-nit on that frame, not to mention period-correct. Go for it!

DD
Old 09-13-12, 03:13 PM

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Wow!, Holy cow!....you got the NOS Hinault Look CF frameset! Congratulations!
Yes!, try to keep it all French! It's a Look + the "Badger's" name on it after all.
Heck, I'd try to do a Mektronic group on that thing if I had the budget, but a Mavic 840 indexed drivetrain with a second (nicer looking) version of the 631 "Starfish" crankset would fit right in too. The Modolo based Mavid 440 SSC brakeset would be nice too, plus their dovetail hinged clamp aero style stem. Lots of headsets from Mavic to choose from, but the later non-fluted, smoother shaped ones might look best on that CF frame. For bars, you have a choice between the Mavic model 350 (criterium "Gimondi" type bend) or the 351 SSC which has a flatter more conventional top section. I have the model 350 on two of my bikes and I love them because I like a deeper than usual drop. If you don't, I suggest you get the 351 SSC bar instead.

What's the seatpost diameter requirement on it? 25mm? If so, there's lots to choose from, except most of them are not French except for the ones made for Vitus. If it's 27.2, Mavic made a seatpost that size.

For wheels, if you like to ride tubs, you can't go wrong with glass smooth, bomb proof Mavic 500 series cartridge bearing hubs with Mavic 330GL rims. Choosing a saddle for a late 80's early 90's all French build becomes tricky as there are not that many period correct French ones to choose from except for maybe Reydels, which are very hard to find in good condition. I decided to do Gilles Berthoud (Galibier mdoel) on my Vitus Carbone 7 build instead for that.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you though that Mavic component prices have shot up considerably in the last couple of years, so be sure you prepare your budget for the build accordingly. Patience with hunting for stuff for good prices at eBay and other sites will certainly be useful.

Please keep us French bike fans updated on the build as you go so we can experience it all with you and maybe help you out if you have any questions.

Forgot to ask, did you get a plastic guide for under the bottom bracket for the derailleur cables, If not, you might check out the ones made by Vitus being sold at eBay presently if you need one....not Look but still French.....

Chombi

Last edited by Chombi; 09-13-12 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 03:25 PM
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
Tres belle! Please keep us abreast of this build!
Any idea on the weight? I've got a gargantuan 63cm Look steel Equipe that is right around 20.0 pounds. Going to try to confirm that this weekend.
Gratulations on the find!
Old 09-13-12, 03:30 PM

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
Congrats! I was very tempted by that frame, but the timing was not good or it would be hanging next to my Look Hinault 753. Not 100% clear on the serial numbers, but the "56" should be the size. For reference, my serial number on the 753 frame is B57S194, and it's a 57cm. I am told the last number (194) is the frame number, i.e. 194th frame (out of 250). Mine has a "J6" where you have "A1"; not sure what those numbers mean either, so I'd also love to find out if anyone has decoded the Look serial numbers.

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 09-13-12, 04:36 PM
- Bikes Not Bombs -

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Wow, that is in fantastic shape - was it ever built-up? Kurt really passed along a beauty.

C-Record would be the shiz-nit on that frame, not to mention period-correct. Go for it!

DD

Nope! The steerer tube hasn't even been cut yet!
I am very grateful for this frame for sure, and have only seen about 2 others like it on the net, and they didn't even have Hinault's name on the DT.

Ooooohhhh, so tempting
Old 09-13-12, 04:47 PM
- Bikes Not Bombs -

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
Wow!, Holy cow!....you got the NOS Hinault Look CF frameset! Congratulations!
Yes!, try to keep it all French! It's a Look + the "Badger's" name on it after all.
Heck, I'd try to do a Mektronic group on that thing if I had the budget, but a Mavic 840 indexed drivetrain with a second (nicer looking) version of the 631 "Starfish" crankset would fit right in too. The Modolo based Mavid 440 SSC brakeset would be nice too, plus their dovetail hinged clamp aero style stem. Lots of headsets from Mavic to choose from, but the later non-fluted, smoother shaped ones might look best on that CF frame. For bars, you have a choice between the Mavic model 350 (criterium "Gimondi" type bend) or the 351 SSC which has a flatter more conventional top section. I have the model 350 on two of my bikes and I love them because I like a deeper than usual drop. If you don't, I suggest you get the 351 SSC bar instead.

What's the seatpost diameter requirement on it? 25mm? If so, there's lots to choose from, except most of them are not French except for the ones made for Vitus. If it's 27.2, Mavic made a seatpost that size.

For wheels, if you like to ride tubs, you can't go wrong with glass smooth, bomb proof Mavic 500 series cartridge bearing hubs with Mavic 330GL rims. Choosing a saddle for a late 80's early 90's all French build becomes tricky as there are not that many period correct French ones to choose from except for maybe Reydels, which are very hard to find in good condition. I decided to do Gilles Berthoud (Galibier mdoel) on my Vitus Carbone 7 build instead for that.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you though that Mavic component prices have shot up considerably in the last couple of years, so be sure you prepare your budget for the build accordingly. Patience with hunting for stuff for good prices at eBay and other sites will certainly be useful.

Please keep us French bike fans updated on the build as you go so we can experience it all with you and maybe help you out if you have any questions.

Forgot to ask, did you get a plastic guide for under the bottom bracket for the derailleur cables, If not, you might check out the ones made by Vitus being sold at eBay presently if you need one....not Look but still French.....

Chombi
All wonderful suggestions, Chombi. Odds are, a build similar to this will be the route that I take. Definitely taking my time on this baby. The seatpost size is indeed 25mm, which is why I had asked you about yours in another thread, just didn't want to spill the beans too soon

I guess this puts me in the league of the Francophiles now ahaha.

As far as the wheels go, I have a set of Mavic hubs laced to Open Pros that I will be using, however, I am not quite sure what model the hubs are, I will take some pictures after Physics tonight.

I've been bidding on some Mavic derailleurs that are on eBay right now, but someone got me at the last second on an FD. Just got an eBay sniping program though, so that should help with the next few. Thanks a lot for the tips on the bars, and the cable guide. I will definitely be getting those.

Ohhh how I wish I could justify the price of a Berthoud saddle. By far my all time favorite. Perhaps I can put an Xmas bonus towards one, or some flipping money.
Old 09-13-12, 04:49 PM

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Not feeling the C-Record vibes on this frame like you guys are. The straight cut lug ends and blocky looking seat cluster lug does not seem to go together with the smoother aero profiles of the C-record components, especially if you are thinking of going with Delta or CDU aero calipers as most people do with the C-Record gruppo. Even the rear dropouts have that blocky feel to them. If anything, a Mavic 851 SSC "Erector" style derailleur set might actually look nice on this bike as an alternative to the later model 840 I first suggested.
JMOs

Chombi
Old 09-13-12, 04:51 PM
- Bikes Not Bombs -

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
calamarichris - I will definitely get a weight to you when I can get a scale, it is remarkable how light this frame set feels, and that was with a BB spindle (see picture, from shipping) and forkend protectors on it.

gaucho - I was thinking about giving LOOK a call, and if I get any more information than you have given me already (thank you btw) I will let you know.

Thanks all for the nice words!
Old 09-13-12, 05:46 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
I can see the proud new father of the LOOK is very happy.

I'll be keeping tabs on this build for sure, Bryce; I'm quite interested to see what it will look like built up.

-Kurt

Old 09-13-12, 05:54 PM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
oh god I love this bike. There is something special about these bikes that bridge the gap between vintage and modern. It sort of seems like the industry was in "flux" during this period that one one had drove mtb development at a ballistic pace but shattered the accepted form of the road going machine. I have been poking around this type of bike for a while and wondering to myself?

I am following Chombi's lead here. I think this bike needs some "angular" profiles to go with the carbon weave and lug profile. I might go on a limb and suggest something colorful? I need to hit velobase and see what was going in this period.
Old 09-13-12, 06:03 PM
likes to ride an old bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ftwelder
I think this bike needs some "angular" profiles to go with the carbon weave and lug profile.
I'd be tempted to put Campy Victory on it; at least the crankset and derailleurs.
Old 09-13-12, 06:07 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,227 Posts
a balance of black and silver is needed to complement the frame.
Old 09-13-12, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by MrEss
I'd be tempted to put Campy Victory on it; at least the crankset and derailleurs.
I was thinking the same.....for a non-"Tout French" build, that is.....but then a Victory Gruppo might not be "upscale" enough to match the upscale frameset.

Chombi
Old 09-13-12, 06:41 PM

Bikes: 2012 Moots VaMoots-74 Peugeot Mixtie U018-73 Peugeot U018

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Go all carbon parts, matches the Look carbon frame! Great bike and enjoy!
Old 09-13-12, 07:05 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by MrEss
My thoughts too, even though Victory isn't quite on the same level of the frame. Nevertheless, the Victory RD comes from the same school of styling as the lugs of the KG86.

Come to think of it, the graphite version of the Victory RD would be rather suiting.

-Kurt

Old 09-13-12, 07:07 PM

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Call me crazy. I'd go with Super Record 11.
Old 09-13-12, 07:21 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
new sachs success group?,

i'm not just saying that cause i will have a full grouppo with wheels for sale in mint condition
Old 09-13-12, 07:48 PM
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,045 Times in 1,252 Posts
Originally Posted by KvltBryce

Ohhh how I wish I could justify the price of a Berthoud saddle. By far my all time favorite. Perhaps I can put an Xmas bonus towards one, or some flipping money.
I'm thinking a white Profil will give it balance. It's a beauty.
Old 09-13-12, 07:57 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Michael Angelo
Not a bad idea.

-Kurt

Old 09-13-12, 08:23 PM

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Angelo
+1. Super Record 11 on that Look might tempt me to ride brifters.

Btw, what's the rear spacing, and, if it's 126mm, is it safe to respace?

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.