Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My Barecci Is Complete & On The Road! (with pics!)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-27-12, 09:59 AM

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts

Hey guys, I just finished building my first bike and I couldn't be any happier with the results.

I purchased the frame on e-bay and the seller happened to be Mellow Johnny's, which is Lance Armstrongs bike shop in Austin. He picked this frame up with a bunch of other's from a warehouse sale in Italy, but he doesn't know much about it and neither do I. It's a Fabio Barecci, and about the only thing I can tell you about it, it was made in Spain by BH Bikes, probably around 1990 or so. A web search on these bikes only show two others, and both are for sale in Spain, but there is no real info to be had anywhere. I honestly think this could be one of only a handful or the sole example of a Barecci in America.They were probably never imported here. Who Fabio Barreci is, whose signature adorns the bike, I have no idea. I can't find anything on him anywhere. But I have to say, the frame is indeed pretty nice. The paint is very reminiscent of a Colnago Master Light (not trying to compare the two!), the frame does have internal cabling, and two braze-ons on the head tube for the shifter cables, which is a nice touch. It is made of Columbus Aelle tubing. Maybe Fabio worked for Colnago at some point?

I have two Shimano equipped bikes, but I always wanted a Campy bike, so I decided to go with an all-Campy build. It's a bit more money, but I think in the end, it was well worth it. The Campy bits really look good, almost like fine jewelry. And the drivetrain really performs well to. It's 9 speed, all Veloce, with Centaur Ergo shifters and brakes and a Record headset. Gorgeous to look at and great performance.

For wheels, I went with silver Mavic SUP Reflex rims laced to silver Veloce hubs and skewers. They aren't easy to find, but the wait was worth it. I love the classic look. I went with yellow walled Detonator tires to go with the yellow frame enhancements.

Seat is a made-in-Italy Brook's. Odd, but it's sleek and comfy. The post is Gipiemme, the bars are Cinelli compacts and the quill stem is a very pretty Modolo X, which has a nice clamshell system to put the bars on. Yellow bar tape is Fizik along with yellow cable housings and bottle holders complete the yellow theme.

The ride seem's really lively and active and it's a pleasure to ride. Turn-in's are predictable, the ride is very balanced and she tracks nicely. Acceleration from a dead-stop is quick, quicker than I thought it would be for Aelle tubing.

So here she is. All comments, suggestions and info are welcome! -

Old 09-27-12, 10:03 AM

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Some more pics -

And finally, the signature of the man himself - Fabio Barecci!

Old 09-27-12, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
Looks awesome. I love the paint, and I think yellow was a geat choice for the accents.
Old 09-27-12, 10:38 AM

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Really nice build Giacomo!
It looks so fresh like it was just rolled out of a bike dealer's showroom in the 90's!
Everything seems to fall into place on that bike, specially the nice yellow accents from the bar tape, tires and cable casings.
And it's also nice when they didn't just do fade jobs on the paint but enhanced it with some geometric color graphics too. I wonder if they used the same frame finishers as the ones that did those Titan frames we all saw for sale last year, as there seems to be a similarity.
Have fun riding it and give us a report on your riding impressions.

Chombi
Old 09-27-12, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the compliments guys!

I went with the yellow highlights because I thought it would pop on this bike, and it really does. I almost went with blue, but I thought it would be to dark. White would have looked good also, but it would get dirty pretty quickly. I had alot of colors to choose from, that's for sure! This frame was NOS and had never been built before. It just has some very minor chip's that I will touch-up when I get the chance. I know I have more invested in this bike now than I could ever get back, (Campy isn't cheap!)but the point for me to have a clean, well performing, good looking rider. I think I got lucky and achieved that!

I'll have to look up Titans, but this paint really reminds me most of the Colnago Master series bikes. Both I believe were made in the same era, around 1990. That's what makes me think that Fabio might have worked for Colnago - a stretch, I know - or more likely just ripped them off on the paint scheme. The picture below is one of them, or you can link to the sight below to see more, and I think you'll see what I am talking about -
https://www.colnago.com/master/

Last edited by Giacomo 1; 09-27-12 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-28-12, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Chombi
I wonder if they used the same frame finishers as the ones that did those Titan frames we all saw for sale last year, as there seems to be a similarity.
You know, I didn't see those Titans your talking about. Are there pictures of any on BF or elsewhere? Do you think Fabio Barreci was a painter or frame builder? Or do you think he might have been a made-up person with a cool sounding Italian name for marketing purposes? Because he is a real enigma!

Originally Posted by Chombi
Have fun riding it and give us a report on your riding impressions.

Chombi
I've had a blast on this bike so far. I've had it out 5 times now, 4 of those times on short "sprints" of about 5-7 miles, but I did do a 32 mile charity ride with it one time, and it was great. The ride was really comfortable and the bike performed flawlessly all the way. Seat came loose once, but no big deal. The bike tracks really nicely, turn-ins are predictable and not to quick, and the ride is solid, yet lively. You always hear that Aelle tubing is Columbus's lower-end offering, and I hesitated a bit when I saw it was Aelle, but I have been very happy with how comfortable it rides so far. Probably a little heavier than my SL Basso and aluminum Miyata, but it feels very solid and planted(if that's the right word). Acceleration with this bike is also surprisingly quick. I feel strong form a dead-stop. This is also my first brifter bike, and yeah, it's pretty darn cool and easy, especially for urban riding!

My only problem is that this bike was supposed to be a winter project, but it's already completed! Now...what will I do all winter? Hmmm, any ideas?
Old 09-29-12, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
You know, I didn't see those Titans your talking about. Are there pictures of any on BF or elsewhere? Do you think Fabio Barreci was a painter or frame builder? Or do you think he might have been a made-up person with a cool sounding Italian name for marketing purposes? Because he is a real enigma!

I've had a blast on this bike so far. I've had it out 5 times now, 4 of those times on short "sprints" of about 5-7 miles, but I did do a 32 mile charity ride with it one time, and it was great. The ride was really comfortable and the bike performed flawlessly all the way. Seat came loose once, but no big deal. The bike tracks really nicely, turn-ins are predictable and not to quick, and the ride is solid, yet lively. You always hear that Aelle tubing is Columbus's lower-end offering, and I hesitated a bit when I saw it was Aelle, but I have been very happy with how comfortable it rides so far. Probably a little heavier than my SL Basso and aluminum Miyata, but it feels very solid and planted(if that's the right word). Acceleration with this bike is also surprisingly quick. I feel strong form a dead-stop. This is also my first brifter bike, and yeah, it's pretty darn cool and easy, especially for urban riding!

My only problem is that this bike was supposed to be a winter project, but it's already completed! Now...what will I do all winter? Hmmm, any ideas?
It's a beauty, great job!
Old 09-29-12, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Beautiful job, nice ride you got there...
Old 09-29-12, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 141 Posts
Nice work!

Looks like a super fun ride.

Love the colors, that's for sure.
Old 09-30-12, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the compliments guys!

I had a lot of fun putting this bike together and hunting down the right parts. It was a real challenge for me, but the effort was worthwhile, as I'm really enjoying how she rides and looks. The Ergo shifter's can definetely spoil you, that's for sure! Now all that's left for me to do to this bike is hunt down some information on it's origins. Any Spaniards in the house?