Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Autumn Cycling-Related Photos

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-28-12, 03:56 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts

Show us autumn in your area ... your usual cycling route in its autumn golds and reds, your bicycle with an autumn background, your cycling club or family out for an autumn ride ...

[HR][/HR]
I'll start with this one. The foliage is just starting to change in places here on the west coast of France. This is a path from Bordeaux to the Atlantic Ocean, and the little dot of a person in the distance is Rowan.

(Other Photo Threads Here On Bikeforums: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Photo-Threads )

Last edited by Machka; 09-23-13 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09-29-12, 12:35 PM
In Real Life

Just a hint of autumn colouring in the tree in the background as we got ready to go this morning ...

There actually isn't much autumn foliage around these parts just yet.
Old 09-29-12, 12:38 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Autumn. I haven't seen one of those in years.
Old 09-29-12, 01:10 PM
unwilling rashtafarian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaTom
Autumn. I haven't seen one of those in years.
Yep.
Autumn in S Florida is when Summer is a little less brutal.
Old 09-29-12, 01:16 PM

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Checking out your photo log on Flicka- great shots. I am wondering how long you and Rowan are out for, what are your travel plans and times? One thing that startled me is the apparent abundance of trails specifically for cycling. Are they the norm in europe? Do you find many others riding? Cool photo's, keep up the great work.
Old 09-29-12, 01:48 PM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Checking out your photo log on Flicka- great shots. I am wondering how long you and Rowan are out for, what are your travel plans and times? One thing that startled me is the apparent abundance of trails specifically for cycling. Are they the norm in europe? Do you find many others riding? Cool photo's, keep up the great work.
Thanks!

We're on a 7.5 month Round-the-World, mostly cycling tour. Hong Kong > Taiwan > Japan (Hokkaido) > Scotland (and a bit of England) > The Netherlands > Germany > Luxembourg > France > Switzerland > France ... and that's where we are now, cycling up the west coast of France, along the Atlantic Ocean. We're 3 months and 9 days into the trip. We're using a variety of methods of transport including airplane, train, ferries, cars, and of course our Thorn touring bicycles on as many days as possible. We're still in France for a little while longer, then back up into the UK, and then over to North America for a while.

Taiwan was great for it's cycle lanes ... huge smooth paved shoulders for bicycles and scooters ... and it would be tempting to spend a bit longer there and cycle southward from Hualien. We did a bit of that, but not as far as we might have liked. We only had 6 days there, not enough. And there were heaps and heaps of people on bicycles, scooters and all sorts.

Japan, specifically Hokkaido, had some great cycling paths as well. Long, smoothly paved wide paths through rural areas. They got a little bit sketchy in a couple places, but the traffic wasn't too heavy so we were fine. We had 10 days there and would really like to go back and spend a month. There weren't many riding. We'd see lots of people in the more populated areas, but only the occasional person in the more rural areas.

In Scotland we kind of hopped all over, and mainly used the roads until toward the end, then we joined the North Sea Route which took us on a lot of the very quiet backroads. Scotland is great for all the little meandering backroads with next to no traffic. We were 3 weeks there and could easily spend a month or more. In certain areas, like on the path that runs the length of Loch Lomond, there were quite a few cyclists, but when we got on the North Sea Route there weren't a lot.

Then we crossed to Europe and decided to cycle the Rhine Route. It was a bit of a disappointment. There are sections which are pretty good, but then there are sections which just aren't very good at all. Toward the end, the last 2 or 3 days, were pretty good. All of a sudden there were decent paths finally. There were lots of people riding at least sections of this route. Many of them appeared to be day riders or maybe weekend tourists (lightly loaded).

Luxembourg doesn't have much cycling infrastructure from what we could tell, and most of the riders there looked like pretty serious roadies.

Switzerland had great paths, probably some of the widest paths we've seen, and a reasonable number of riders.

France kind of took us by surprise. We've both cycled quite a bit in France before, and have enjoyed it. When we first entered France out of Luxembourg it was good. We got onto a route along the Moselle which was lovely. But when we got into France the second time, out of Switzerland, we were plunged into quite heavy traffic. We went from there by train to Perpignan, and again, heavy aggressive traffic. Not too impressed. So we caught a train up to Bordeaux, and it has been lovely since. I'm astounded by the paths in this part of France. I explain in my journal how a cyclist could easily do a century out of Bordeaux, about 90% of which would be on nice, smooth, beautiful, relatively empty bicycle paths.

I have to say, I'm NOT a MUP person. But the ones I've encountered in Taiwan (although those were more like shoulders), Japan, and most of Europe (excluding a large portion of the Rhine Route) have been quite good. Well paved, smooth, and empty. I wish they'd install similar paths in Canada and Australia.

I've done an extensive write-up (journal) about the trip starting here: https://www.machka.net/RTW_2012/RTW_2012.htm

Last edited by Machka; 09-29-12 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-29-12, 02:07 PM
In Real Life

So how about the Vermont/New Hampshire/Quebec crowd? Is it the season for autumn foliage yet?
Old 09-29-12, 04:28 PM

Thanks- sounds like a wonderful trip.
Old 09-29-12, 10:41 PM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 4,738 Times in 1,719 Posts
From my infrequent cyclocross route:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
aspens.jpg (96.7 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by jamesdak; 09-29-12 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-29-12, 10:48 PM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

And then this road is closed due to winter damage but is now a great place to ride the road bike in seclusion. MB trails all over this area to:

Last edited by jamesdak; 09-29-12 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-29-12, 10:51 PM

I need to move.
Old 09-29-12, 11:17 PM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10 '12 SRAM RIVAL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to move.
You really do.
Old 09-29-12, 11:31 PM

Bikes: 2010 Litespeed Icon, 1987 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to move.
Could be worse. Here in SoCal, everything is brown year round.
Old 09-30-12, 06:03 AM

Well my little valley is beautiful. Not telling where it's at though as it is too crowded already,

This is another late Autumn shot where the snow has already been happening up in the mountains. The paved road in the distant is part of my daily ride:

Then one more off the side of the road leading up the one mountain:

Old 09-30-12, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Well my little valley is beautiful. Not telling where it's at though as it is too crowded already,

This is another late Autumn shot where the snow has already been happening up in the mountains. The paved road in the distant is part of my daily ride:

Then one more off the side of the road leading up the one mountain:

Honest to God, that kind of beauty just stuns me. Unreal. They looking for surgeons your neck of the woods?
Old 09-30-12, 11:55 AM

Honest to God, that kind of beauty just stuns me. Unreal. They looking for surgeons your neck of the woods?

Thanks Doc! Do you do knees?? LOL!! I just spent 5 hours up in the mountains shooting the fall colors. I'm now going to strap the GO-PRO onto the Scott and go back up there riding through the heart of all that color.
Old 09-30-12, 12:03 PM
In Real Life

Nice photos jamesdak!
Old 09-30-12, 08:54 PM
en fuego

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
And then this road is closed due to winter damage but is now a great place to ride the road bike in seclusion. MB trails all over this area to:

LOVE this photo!
Old 09-30-12, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVUK
LOVE this photo!
Thanks, spent this morning in the same area shooting a ton of shots. Then I went home, threw the GoPro on the Scott and pedaled up the very road seen in this picture. Great ride with lots and lots of color! I just wish we'd get some rain or snow to cleat the air. Then this scene will really pop in the pictures.
Old 10-01-12, 03:00 PM
In Real Life

Some from today ... the leaves are starting to change colour ...

Old 10-02-12, 11:15 AM
In Real Life

From autumn in Australia ... not long before we left ...

One of our "usual" routes ...

A nearby lake (tourist spot) ...

On a practice tour for the big one ...
Old 10-02-12, 11:50 AM
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 135 Posts
My favorite - my friend for 40 years.

Old 10-02-12, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,644 Times in 6,053 Posts
There are some gorgeous aspen photos in this thread!
Old 10-02-12, 03:19 PM

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Hope I can take some pics like these sometime soon. I've just started noticing the colors around here. It's still been in the 80's and just touching 90°F during the day here before this week. Now we're in the 60's/70's finally.
Old 10-03-12, 02:49 AM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by sced
My favorite - my friend for 40 years.
That bicycle is meant for autumn riding! Blends right in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.