Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Im new so I dont know if this has been asked. Tire pressure question.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-12, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I bought a tire rated at 120 psi, is it safe to fill it to that point from the rim's perspective? Basically what I'm asking are tires usually rated higher than the rims or the other way around? I currently use 700c x 35 tires and looking to downsize to 700c x 28. My current tires are maxed out at 85 psi. If I maxed out at 120 psi on my new tires, can I be confident then my rims could handle the pressure, or is it something to take into consideration? I'm newbie so sorry if this is a dumb question lol
Old 10-23-12, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
The tire and rim will be OK, but tire pressure should be based on your bike and body weight and the diameter of the tire. How much do you and your bike weigh?

Just as examples for me. On my road bike (total weight about 180 lbs bike+person), I ride 23mm tires at 100 PSI rear and 90-95 front.

On my cross/commuter bike (about 190 lbs bike+person+gear), I ride 32mm tires at about 55-60 PSI front and 60-65 rear.

Too much pressure can be harsh ride and actually slower because the tires aren't as compliant going over irregularities in the road surface. Slower also because the ride is less comfortable and more fatiguing. So, pumping to max is not necessarily the best thing, unless your body + bike weight indicates it's necessary.
Old 10-23-12, 11:38 PM
Kitten Legion Master

Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
The tire and rim will be OK, but tire pressure should be based on your bike and body weight and the diameter of the tire. How much do you and your bike weigh?

Just as examples for me. On my road bike (total weight about 180 lbs bike+person), I ride 23mm tires at 100 PSI rear and 90-95 front.

On my cross/commuter bike (about 190 lbs bike+person+gear), I ride 32mm tires at about 55-60 PSI front and 60-65 rear.

Too much pressure can be harsh ride and actually slower because the tires aren't as compliant going over irregularities in the road surface. Slower also because the ride is less comfortable and more fatiguing. So, pumping to max is not necessarily the best thing, unless your body + bike weight indicates it's necessary.
Some tires seem to like higher pressures too.
Old 10-24-12, 12:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im a big guy, 260lbs, my bike is a 2002 Trek 7500, probably 25lbs.
Old 10-24-12, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemartin
If I bought a tire rated at 120 psi, is it safe to fill it to that point from the rim's perspective? Basically what I'm asking are tires usually rated higher than the rims or the other way around? ...
Tires and rims both have maximum-PSI ratings.
Tires only have one maximum-pressure rating, because they cannot account for any rim they might be put on.
With rims the maximum PSI rating depends on the overall width of the tire.

It is not often a problem that rims split, but it does happen. You'd need to check the rim manufacturer's website or email them for info on the max width/pressure of tires for the rims you have.

I would also agree that the tire sag under load is a better method of deciding useful pressure than simply inflating to the maximum.
Old 10-24-12, 06:01 AM
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
As a big rider on an aluminum hybrid frame, I would recommend you stay on tires at least 32cm wide for comfort. I'm big too and I tend to avoid aluminum road bikes, preferring more compliant steel frames on 25-28cm tires.
Old 10-24-12, 06:16 AM

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Here's a chart of tire pressure vs bike + rider weight and tire size based on 15% tire height drop from an unloaded condition. The reasoning seems sound and avoiding rock-hard tires and filling-loosening impacts works well for me. I find the constant vibration from too-hard tires fatiguing and hard on my hands and arms. https://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf
Old 10-24-12, 07:21 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
If I bought a tire rated at 120 psi, is it safe to fill it to that point from the rim's perspective? Basically what I'm asking are tires usually rated higher than the rims or the other way around? I currently use 700c x 35 tires and looking to downsize to 700c x 28. My current tires are maxed out at 85 psi. If I maxed out at 120 psi on my new tires, can I be confident then my rims could handle the pressure, or is it something to take into consideration? I'm newbie so sorry if this is a dumb question lol
The rim stress is proportional to the tire pressure times the tire width, so a narrow tire at higher pressure exerts similar stress as a wide tire at lower pressure. Rim makers are aware of tire pressure ratings and build rims to handle them when. The only time you'd need to worry is when using a HP tire much wider than the rim, especially with narrow light rims where the maker would expect you to use narrow tires and build accordingly.

You might also be interested in this article about optimum pressure based on tire width and rider weight.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-24-12, 07:33 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I agree, rim failure at any reasonable pressure is not an issue unless the rim is bady abraded from brake wear. Also, tire width markings are often fiction. Typically, in my experience, 700cx23 tires run pretty close to their marked size. For nearly all others, that's not true. I have a "rain bike/beater" I use with wider tires because I sometimes ride it on Rail-Trails and other mild off road use. I've had "700-32" and "700-28" marked modestly treaded tires from name brands on it and both measured an actual 26 mm as installed.

In the past I used 700-25 tires on a couple of bikes and they routinely measured 22 to 23 mm wide. I've always thought that 700-23 was just truth-in-advertising applied to what used to be called 700-25.
Old 10-24-12, 07:40 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
For safety I usually inflate my tires to about 90% of the max listed on the side wall. By safety, I mean that in the cool of the morning, if I inflate to 90% of max, in the afternoon on a hot hiway, the pressure could easily to the max.
Old 10-24-12, 07:46 AM

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You will be perfectly fine inflating the 700X28c tires up their max. However, you will probably find that a 700X28c tire at 125 psi gives quite a harsh ride and you will want to go lower. I am approximately your size and I have used 28mm tires at high pressure and I did not like it... it rattled my water bottle bolts loose.
Old 10-24-12, 09:07 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
It depends on the tire. Some tires feel fine at 125 psi, at least to me. Some feel like rocks at 90 psi.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-24-12, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
If I read that chart correctly, I'd have exceedingly soft tires at their recommended pressure.
Old 10-24-12, 09:37 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Even at 260, I don't think you should need to go to 120 psi on 28 mm tires.
Old 10-24-12, 10:20 AM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I think 28 mm tires at 120 psi will be a reasonable choice for paved roads. If I were you I'd try Michelin tires for their sidewall strength and soft rubber.
One of my riding friends is about you size and rides 25 mm tires at 110 psi but has lots of tire problems, especially in the sidewalls.
I weigh 162 and ride 23 mm Michelins at 118 in the rear and 110 in the front. The pressure has never been a problem and my wheels roll very well.

Last edited by Al1943; 10-24-12 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-24-12, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug5150
Tires and rims both have maximum-PSI ratings.
Tires only have one maximum-pressure rating, because they cannot account for any rim they might be put on.
With rims the maximum PSI rating depends on the overall width of the tire.

It is not often a problem that rims split, but it does happen. You'd need to check the rim manufacturer's website or email them for info on the max width/pressure of tires for the rims you have.

I would also agree that the tire sag under load is a better method of deciding useful pressure than simply inflating to the maximum.
The pressure on the sidewall of a tire is 1/2 the pressure necessary to blow the tire off of the rim.
Old 10-24-12, 11:04 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
The pressure on the sidewall of a tire is 1/2 the pressure necessary to blow the tire off of the rim.
I keep seeing this, but I've never heard it confirmed within the industry. In any case, that offers little indication that a rim can take the combined stress of a wider than expected tire at high pressure.

With correctly mounted tires, and hook edge rims blow off is rare, but not unheard of. But rim fracture is increasingly common.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-24-12, 11:04 AM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
I'm into skinny tires at higher pressures myself-
However, I started having issues with SV tubes @ 120 PSI. It was probably a bad batch?, but I'd get "blisters" on the side of the valve stem.
I dropped down to 110 PSI and haven't had that issue since.
Old 10-24-12, 11:12 AM
Kitten Legion Master

Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My gatorskin 700x23, feels good at 115 PSI (front wheel). My re-fuse 700x25 did so much better at 105-110PSI and Tserv 700-25 does really well at 100-110 PSI.
So, it still depends a little on the tire and riders preference.
Old 10-24-12, 05:59 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
If I read that chart correctly, I'd have exceedingly soft tires at their recommended pressure.
The chart's set up to result in 15% tire drop. If you are habituated to riding at high/max pressures, then 15% could feel exceedingly soft. Or compliant, or forgiving, or comfortable.
Old 10-24-12, 06:28 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
No offense, but who told you that? I have spent a lot of time online looking for all kinds of bicycle-tire-making info, and have not run across it.

Figuring a number based on the thread-per-inch construction and typical nylon thread used, bicycle tires maximum pressure should be somewhere around 450 PSI,,,, if they are constructed with the threads spaced one-thread-width apart (-oddly enough it doesn't matter what thickness the threads used are, just proportionately how far they are spaced apart. If you have a few thick threads or lots of little threads, the total strength ends up about the same as long as the spacing is proportionately the same). Cheaper tires with more space left in-between the threads might top out at around 250-300 PSI or so; this would correspond with thread spacing of 1.5-2X between threads.

In this video at the 4:55 time they show one Continental MTB tire being hydro-tested to failure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM_x0qPM8Ok (the UK "How Its Made" video about bicycle tires)
The narrator says "all tires have to withstand 8 PSI, but this one manages almost 20".... which is wrong, of course. Most tires can handle way more than 20 PSI. ...If we assume that he meant to say "bars" instead of "PSI", then the numbers would be 120 psi (all tires would have to withstand) and 300 PSI (that the Continental knobby tire failed at).

I can't see which tire is being tested in the video--but on the Continental site, nearly all of the non-tubeless MTB tires have max inflation pressures of either 60 or 65 PSI. And we might guess that they are bursting at around 300 PSI. The tire in the video also does not come off the rim. It appears to burst in the sidewall, near the bead.

Also note that the TPI of the current Continental MTB tires varies from 84 TPI (total) to 240 TPI, and yet the pressure ratings of them (and likely the bursting pressures also) is all nearly the same. More threads != higher pressures, the thread spacing is the main factor in that.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
... With correctly mounted tires, and hook edge rims blow off is rare, but not unheard of. But rim fracture is increasingly common.
I'd agree.
Often it is ultra-lightweight road rims. Often rims with spoke holes badly drilled (nicks in the holes' edges). Often both of these, at the same time.

Sidewalls cracking from brake wear is something else entirely. That doesn't indicate anything wrong with the rim or tire. Maybe the owner, tho'.
Old 10-30-12, 09:51 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have found a reference related to the above info, which appears to be a misquote.

On this PDF by Frank Berto-
https://www.bccclub.org/documents/Tireinflation.pdf

on page four, it is claimed that tires are tested to withstand at least twice the maximum pressure indicated on the sidewall.

This would also agree with the Continental tire video that (ignoring the narrator's error) the MTB tire with a maximum inflation pressure of 60-65 PSI has to withstand at least ~120 PSI without failing in any way.