Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

B&M Luxos B - First commute

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-13, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I took my first ride this morning with my new B&M Luxos B. I'm powering the light off a Sanyo dynamo hub from Peter; the light's from Harris.

If you're thinking about this light, but you're on the fence, it's time to get off the fence. This is an amazing light. I tried to take a picture of the beam on the ride in, but it just wouldn't come out. The beam is every bit as good, if not better, than the pics on the B&M website.

Near field illumination is exceptional. If you look at pictures of the light, you'll notice the lens wraps around the side of the light housing. This is a completely different take than the flat lenses of the Cyo line of lights. This wrap-around feature lights up the sides of the bike and provides an extra level of visibility and safety. I didn't think I needed this, but riding with it makes a huge difference in the way the road presents itself at speed. This particular innovation alone is worth the investment.

Distance illumination is also truly outstanding. I own an IQ Cyo Fly, a Cygolite Expilion 350, and a Cyo R. The Luxos far and away provides better roadway and signage illumination than any of them. I've ridden the route so many times, I've memorized all the potholes and rough spots. Nevertheless, I felt that, at speed, the light's illumination of roadway obstacles at 30 feet was as good, if not better, than the halogen beams on my car making for a safe "see and be seen" commute.

I don't need the USB charging features of the Luxos U, so I went with the B. The only feature of the U that's not on the B that might be handy is the Panorama 90 lux mode. Still, the B is a great light; pricey, but cheaper than a visit to the emergency room.
Old 01-18-13, 07:01 AM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
thanks for the report. If I hadn't been such a spendthrift lately I would already have one.
Old 01-18-13, 07:15 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Good review!

If you're looking for USB charging, I'd check out the clean "The Plug II" from Tout Terrain.

https://www.en.tout-terrain.de/access...-power-supply/
Old 01-18-13, 09:39 AM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Luxos U has usb charging at a $75 premium to the Luxos B, that's a reasonable price if you want usb charging. Also reduces the complexity of the system. The luxos U also has high beams and other features which look attractive to me.
Old 01-18-13, 11:38 AM
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any beam shots? I've been tempted to try the Luxos, but I'm spoiled by my Philips SafeRide 80.

Example:
Old 01-19-13, 04:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the best I could do. This is a pretty dark street around the corner; there are no streetlights and most people had their lights off. It's a little blurry because of the low light conditions, but you can see the Luxos lights up the street pretty nicely. Any light in this pic is a result of the Luxos.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00580.JPG (72.0 KB, 108 views)
Old 01-19-13, 05:02 PM
Old. Slow. Happy.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by G1nko
This is the best I could do. This is a pretty dark street around the corner; there are no streetlights and most people had their lights off. It's a little blurry because of the low light conditions, but you can see the Luxos lights up the street pretty nicely. Any light in this pic is a result of the Luxos.

Looks pretty good. Do you have the Luxos mounted at the fork crown?
Old 01-19-13, 07:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mounted on the front rack:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00591.JPG (89.8 KB, 114 views)
Old 01-19-13, 11:35 PM

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by G1nko
Mounted on the front rack:
Lamps mounted this way, on my bikes, sooner or later got destroyed. Incidentally, what is the size of Luxos? I ended up putting together a cage on my bike where a lamp sits protected. Originally the cage was made for Bisy and now there is a Cyo there. Someone mentioned elsewhere that Luxos is much bulkier than Cyo and your photo confirms that qualitatively. My personal interest is whether Luxos would fit into my cage.

I still have a Cyo with day illumination lying around and waiting for a try out. The technology moves faster than I can process it.
Old 01-20-13, 12:20 AM
Rocketship Underpants

Bikes: '94 RS Bikes Stampede (commuter), Scattante XRL Team road bike (formerly '05 Cannondale R5000), '05 Cannondale Prophet 1000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Paying attention to this thread. I've really been wanting to replace my symmetrical beam headlight with a shaped beam. My first choice right now is the Saferide using batteries (about $130 from a German vendor), or spending about twice as much on a dynamo system, but I haven't found a light where the reviews are as nice as with the Saferide. Of course, I haven't seen any of them in action, so for all I know I might be happy either way. I'm staying tuned for now.
Old 01-20-13, 12:31 AM

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Great review and much better pics than I can manage. Looks like another excellent dynamo light option.

I've been using the Supernova E3 Pro Asymmetrical (Terraflux) lens with an Alfine dynamo and have been tickled pink with the setup.
Old 01-20-13, 11:19 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Looks very nice. I've got an IQ Cyo and I've been pleased with it since the day I bought it. It's nice to see B&M constantly upping the ante on generator powered LED lighting, bringing them up to par with the battery powered systems out there. From the specs (just as a reference) the Luxos-B looks to be 10 lux brighter than the Cyo-N, and their new reflectors cover a wider swath of roadway.
Old 01-20-13, 12:16 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Being a complete cheapskate, I probably won't be upgrading any time soon, but the Luxos B looks interesting
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m-hl.asp

I have an older IQ Fly and am suitably impressed compared to other dynamo headlights. In fact, were I buying a light today, the IQ Fly would be my bottom line.