Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Strida Evo vs. Brompton?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Strida Evo vs. Brompton?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-13, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Strida Evo vs. Brompton?

Hello,

Searching the archives here only returned four threads mentioning the Strida Evo, and none that compared it to the Brompton.

AFAIK, the Strida Evo and the Brompton are the most compact and best options for commuters to take into the bus/métro.

I'm thinking of getting a Strida for that use because the Birdy is a bit bulky, can't be wheeled when folded, and takes a bit too much time to fold if I'd have to do this a few times a day.

I was wondering if someone here had tried both on similar routes and could post some feedback.

Thank you.
Old 04-10-13, 06:09 AM

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have only test ridden both bikes so have no real long term experience.

The Strida definitely has a stranger riding posture but I got used to it in 20 feet. It is a casual ride meaning you can't get up and sprint on.
I think the Strida is easier to roll around, has better braking, folds quicker, and keep your pants clean, but it is not compact or as durable so you wouldn't ever want to fly somewhere with it or take it off road.

The Brompton is a compact and tight bike that you can travel beyond a train station with. I like its tiny folded dimensions and stiff ride but not a fan of caliper brakes. The metal rack is better than the plastic one of the Strida.

I guess for strict train use I would go with the Strida.
If you ever think you would travel longer distances, gravel roads, or carry stuff; I would go with the Brompton.

Hopefully others will chime in with real experience.
Old 04-10-13, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm especially interested in knowing about the Strida EVO compares to recent Brommies because the EVO has three speeds.

For rides into the suburbs, I'd take the Birdy.
Old 04-10-13, 09:38 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I note, through (like SJS ,or likely) any of their dealers,
You can source every, even smallest, part of the Brompton, for spares.
Old 04-10-13, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

is to:

as:

is to:

Old 04-10-13, 11:00 AM

Bikes: Folders, MTB's, Road bikes, Omafiets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More like:

Than

Upright IS right (unless racing)

Ride-on

Roll-on
Attached Images
Old 04-10-13, 12:57 PM

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
When I look at the Strida, I wonder if the front stem could not have been designed or hinged in several spots so that it folds out and forward over the front wheel to permit a more conventional riding posture. It seems that adhering to the strict "A" frame shape for the sake of being minimal might be robbing it of some flexibility.

... of course, I wouldn't mind the Brompton being a bit bigger so that it could take 20" Big Apple tires either...

I have no experience with the Strida, so I'm biased. The Brompton fold is very compact - that's important if you're focusing on the usability of the fold. The Strida seems to fold into a more elongated package: I'm not sure if that's easier or more awkward to handle.

As for the caliper brakes on the Brompton... I'm almost 6' and just over 200 lbs. I ride pretty hard and can get pretty good speed. Plus I often have another 20 lbs of stuff on the Brompton. I can pretty much stop on a dime without any issues.
Old 04-10-13, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Agreed BAs on a Brompton would be the icing on the cake in the absence of front suspension.

Jerry
Old 04-10-13, 01:56 PM

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jerrysimon
Agreed BAs on a Brompton would be the icing on the cake in the absence of front suspension.

Jerry
I can understand Brompton's devotion to intergenerational compatibility, but seriously, I would trade a wee bit of compactness if the forks were just a little wider and longer, and there was a little more clearance for BA tires. I could even then swap on some cheap BMX tires for more dirt oriented rides.
Old 04-10-13, 02:12 PM
master of bottom licks

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smallwheeler

is to:

LOL!! That's is exactly how I've always felt about the Strida (at least for someone my height) but didn't want to comment because I'm opinionated enough as it is.

Originally Posted by Ozonation
...I have no experience with the Strida, so I'm biased...
The same here but it's not difficult to see that by it's design limitations the taller the rider, the shorter the reach to the bars. That limits the pool of prospective buyers even more so. At least "conventional" folding bikes, such as the Brompton, the reach to the bars increases somewhat the higher you set the saddle.

Originally Posted by Human_Amplifier
... Upright IS right (unless racing)...
Not quite, Mark (you are Mr. Sanders, correct?)... despite the hard evidence provided in the form of a line drawing you posted (about 5 years ago elsewhere ).

Last edited by BassNotBass; 04-10-13 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-10-13, 02:23 PM

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Off topic. But also consider carry me tikit and mezzo as good compact folders. Not just brommie and strida.
Old 04-10-13, 04:48 PM

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Strida riding position looks all wrong to me, no power transfer down from the upper body.
An additional problem with fat tyres on a Brompton is that the frame is not light and the bike relies on light tyres to keep the weight down. I think they should tweak the geometry to make it more accepting of 1.5" tyres such as the Greenspeed Scorcher. With my Brompton I've either squeezed a Scorcher on the front or a pantour hub and I'd not want to go back to a narrower tyre on an unsuspended wheel.
Old 04-10-13, 05:30 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I haven't ridden a Strida, so can't say from experience at all, but it has always looked to me that the Strida would not be able to do any slopes but the most gentle ones. Perhaps 5% as a maximum. If your route is reasonably flat then the Strida would be OK. Again, this is all dreamed up from my comfortable armchair.

My Brommie OTOH will do any slope that the gearing will allow - getting up off the saddle and hammering is not a problem at all. I have been able to set the riding posture up to match all my other bikes.
Old 04-10-13, 05:44 PM
master of bottom licks

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm just throwing this out there but Godzilla wouldn't even give the Strida a second glance.
Old 04-10-13, 08:09 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BassNotBass
I'm just throwing this out there but Godzilla wouldn't even give the Strida a second glance.
That makes it an ideal getaway vehicle!
Old 04-11-13, 07:39 AM

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
(bromton) getting up off the saddle and hammering is not a problem at all. I have been able to set the riding posture up to match all my other bikes.
I feel most Brommie owners struggle getting out the saddle from what I recall from previous threads and from my experience.

If you have a short stem and straight bars like yours then it can be Ok in my experiences, but with the mostash bars its more difficult.

I test rode a mk 1 strada a long long time ago ...........its was better than I expected
Old 04-12-13, 08:59 AM

Thanks.

So, no one here owns or test-rode the Strida EVO. I have an opportunity to give it a test and will report back, but with no Brompton to compare.
Old 04-12-13, 11:12 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Someone in Paris has to have the Brompton Dealer franchise, maybe you can ride the Metro with the Strida,
for the side by side comparison

https://www.velo-pliant.com/

18 Rue des Boulets
75011, Paris

https://www.velo-pliant.com/

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-12-13 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-12-13, 11:50 AM

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bhkyte
I feel most Brommie owners struggle getting out the saddle from what I recall from previous threads and from my experience.

If you have a short stem and straight bars like yours then it can be Ok in my experiences, but with the mostash bars its more difficult.

I test rode a mk 1 strada a long long time ago ...........its was better than I expected
Really? Why? I have a 3 speed with M bars (not the flat S). I stand for the first couple of strokes after most stop lights. I've mashed my way up hills, standing on the pedals and pulling on the handle bars (dearly wishing I had a granny gear the whole way). I stand on the pedals all the time, and never thought twice about it.

Originally Posted by BassNotBassI'm just throwing this out there but Godzilla wouldn't even give the Strida a second glance.

That makes it an ideal getaway vehicle!
How does it do against zombies?

https://tinyurl.com/d34nojp
Old 04-12-13, 01:54 PM

Bikes: Folders, MTB's, Road bikes, Omafiets

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 04-15-13, 04:23 AM

Thanks for the idea. The Strida dealership is across town from that one selling Brommies, but there's a closer Brommie dealership 15mn away.
Old 04-16-13, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I used to commute between Brooklyn and Manhattan over Brooklyn/Manhattan/Williamsburg Bridge on an one-speed and two-speed Strida, and I can attest that Strida does the slopes fine except steep ones. On EVO it should be even easier.

If you care more about having an efficient riding posture, a wider gear range, or a comfortable suspension, Brompton would be a better a choice. If you prefer a simple city HPV that's clean, quick folding, or low maintenance, Strida may be right for you.
Old 04-16-13, 07:24 AM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
That reads like a very sensible answer. I'm sure Human Amplifier will be pleased.
Old 04-16-13, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I don't like any metal object directly in front of the "jewels". That would really make an auchy in a front end collision.

I vote for Brompton.
Old 04-17-13, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
Hello,

AFAIK, the Strida Evo and the Brompton are the most compact and best options for commuters to take into the bus/métro.
If you're going to boad the bike on a bus, the Strida might actually be easier to store.

I attached a picture of the cabin of a city bus. If the bus you're going to use looks like this, any folding bike would do. There's lots of room in the back with seats facing sideways where you can store the Brompton. However, if the bus is a commuter coach with ONLY seats and an overhead rack, the Strida might be your only choice. Those overhead racks are often not wide enough for a Brompton but would be fine for a Stick type folder like the Strida.

As for the Metro, any folder will do fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
imagesCAH4XERT.jpg (9.9 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 04-17-13 at 06:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.