Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

truvativ elita crank removal problems

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-13, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's this truvativ elita triple crank im working on that doesnt want to budge when i try to remove the arms, anyone have any suggestions?
it has a gxp external BB
-8mm bolt to keep the non-driveside crank arm in place
my only issue is trying to take the non-driveside crank arm off, it just does not want to come off.
Old 04-12-13, 03:57 AM

Bikes: 1992 Marin Eldridge Grade, 2007 Kona PHD and 199? Trek 1000 (current build project)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AFAICT, to remove the cranks you need to remove the entire BB which needs the Truvativ BB tool.
Old 04-12-13, 05:09 AM

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
What, so the BB cups work with the BB shell as a crank puller?

Seems a bit slack.
Old 04-12-13, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
AFAIK this is about the same as a FSA MegaEXO crankset I bought a few months back.

- The DS crank has the spindle pressed in at the factory and that spindle is NOT removable, ever.
- The bottom bracket amounts to two sealed bearing sets that screw in just like traditional BB cups leaving the bearings outside the bikes BB shell. Requires a specific socket-like tool to tighten the bearings.*
- Once the two cups are in and tightened to spec, just push the spindle through the hole and attach the NDS arm to complete the job. The FSA's use a big aluminum hollow bolt to hold/locate the NDS arm in place and then you tighten two pinch bolts* in the end of the arm to lock the NDS arm onto the spindle. Other brands may vary the NDS side, perhaps having a more normal looking crank bolt arrangement.

- * Apparently the bearing cups and the spindle pinch bolts REQUIRE a careful torquing sequence with a proper torque wrench or the rate of breakage for the pinch bolts will be high and is not covered by the warrantee.

- I installed mine following the instructions and using the right tools and it is very impressive, very stiff and looks awesome. Obviously all those folks shouting about external bearing systems (which I ignored for years) were right to be making noise. I doubt that I will buy any conventional BB in the future.

Tools used:

> Park Tool BBT-19 Bottom Bracket Tool for removing 16-notch external bearing bottom bracket cups
> Park Tool TW-2 Torque Wrench (3/8- Inch Drive, 0-600 inch Lbs)

Both tools are available on Amazon (The Park Torque Wrench is the best answer I found, after several hours of searching, to sequence up from 0 to the final 11 inch pounds, for the pinch bolts and still nicely covers the range for the bearing cups). FSA tech support confirmed the tools as correct and the torque process is really clear in the instructions provided with the crankset (PM if not used to tightening in sequences as I can explain it -- I build car engines all the time and it is a normal thing to do there).

Hope that helps
/K
Old 04-15-13, 10:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Continuity
AFAICT, to remove the cranks you need to remove the entire BB which needs the Truvativ BB tool.
interesting.. I'm able to get pass the crank arm and onto the bb using the BBT-9 tool, would that work? or does this truvativ bb tool have a different approach as to how to take the crank off?