Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton + Southwest airlines + Vegas = Fun

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 04-19-13, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

A friend and fellow Brompton owner flew to Las Vegas last week on Southwest airlines with his Brompton as carry on. He said his M-6R would only fit handle bar up and rack out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sacramento-20130313-00030.jpg (111.2 KB, 163 views)
Old 04-19-13, 11:28 AM
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by derail3
A friend and fellow Brompton owner flew to Las Vegas last week on Southwest airlines with his Brompton as carry on. He said his M-6R would only fit handle bar up and rack out.
That's just pretty dam# sweet!
Old 04-19-13, 01:29 PM

Bikes: Brompton H6L raw lacquer (2012)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! What city/airport let him bring it on the plane? Did they give him any grief at the gate?
Old 04-20-13, 02:18 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
He told me it was Sacramento Ca to Las Vegas and back. No issue with the TSA. Did not have to remove anything. Was prepared to secure it with long zip ties just incase he had to gate check it with the child seats and strollers.
Old 03-29-14, 09:10 AM

Bikes: 2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2016 Respect Mini Velo

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
He told me it was Sacramento Ca to Las Vegas and back. No issue with the TSA. Did not have to remove anything. Was prepared to secure it with long zip ties just incase he had to gate check it with the child seats and strollers.
So let me get this straight, this guy got through security with a complex articulated metal folding bike which cant really be effectively x-rayed, they didn't pull him aside and tear it appart or make him check it and they let him on the plane with several LARGE ZIP TIES ie plastic handcuffs? Do I have this correct because to me that is actually worrying me, that sounds like an incompetent TSA agent to me.
Old 03-29-14, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not only incompetent TSA agent, but also flight attendants. I've seen the overhead luggage compartments pop open on occasion and I sure wouldn't want to have a Brompton fall on top of my head if the plane hits some turbulence.
Old 03-29-14, 10:55 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Expect this was not his first Rodeo .. a frequent flier ..

they come back from Vegas with it , or will it be on on that LV Pawn Shop Show on TV.
Old 03-31-14, 11:26 AM
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
20 lbs max storage in overhead bins ... :-(
long zip ties .... yeah...

incompetent, dangerous behavior from flight crew, homeland security, TSA ... etc etc etc

lets see if they can pull the same stunt on their way back ...
Old 03-31-14, 10:23 PM

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thugpipe
So let me get this straight, this guy got through security with a complex articulated metal folding bike which cant really be effectively x-rayed, they didn't pull him aside and tear it appart or make him check it and they let him on the plane with several LARGE ZIP TIES ie plastic handcuffs? Do I have this correct because to me that is actually worrying me, that sounds like an incompetent TSA agent to me.
Mwuwha ha ha (evil laugh)... sounds like a doomsday device by Dr. Evil to me! Now all we need are some fricken' lazer beams on the Brommie!
Old 04-01-14, 11:11 AM
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
20 lbs max storage in overhead bins ... :-(
long zip ties .... yeah...

incompetent, dangerous behavior from flight crew, homeland security, TSA ... etc etc etc

lets see if they can pull the same stunt on their way back ...

just to add to this.... I am not upset cause its a Brommy and not a Dahon Curve Jifo EEzz or whatever.
I have been in a flight where the pilot made some miscalculations and flew more or less straight into a Tornado which was on the ground... The plane ( 737 from San Francisco to Indianapolis ) almost crashed, pretty violent maneuvers to stay in the air ... the tornado was just going over the Indy Airport when we were suppossed to land ... I guess...

Anyhow, all but one of the overhead bins opened and the content was flying around inside the plane, including a stewardess who wasnt buckled into her seat ( she broke an arm .... and ?) The carry on stuff, hit people in the head while flying forward. Some were injured but everybody walked away ( more or less)

I hate to think that my bike would land on a child sitting 5 rows in front of the overhead bin.

again its NOT about Brommies its about disregarding other peoples health ( besides its plain out illegal )

thor
Old 04-07-14, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking about taking my Brompton to Vegas later this month, but have been put off by reports that Las Vegas is very cycling unfriendly. Did your friend ride from the airport or on/near the strip? If so, what was his experience?
Old 04-08-14, 07:19 AM

Bikes: Proflex, Bike Friday, Breezer Zig7, Kona Scrap, Raleigh 3 speed, Schwin Tandem, Cignal Melbourne Express Tandem, FLX Babymaker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like that the bike fit int the overhead, though I do understand the concerns expressed by others. Of course, Southwest is one of the few airlines that allows two free checked bags, so he could have just brought it in the luggage compartment. My Bike Friday and I just came back from Florida and the Caribbean on Southwest
Old 04-08-14, 04:47 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by graycenphil
I like that the bike fit int the overhead, though I do understand the concerns expressed by others.
Sit down. Have someone pick up a Brompton and drop it on your head(no cheating and wearing a helmet).

Pretty much the same experience as having something from an overhead bin drop on you.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 04-08-14, 05:36 PM

Bikes: Proflex, Bike Friday, Breezer Zig7, Kona Scrap, Raleigh 3 speed, Schwin Tandem, Cignal Melbourne Express Tandem, FLX Babymaker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't think I'd like that. But I don't think I'd like any of those suitcases in the overhead bin falling on my head either. Perhaps what we need are overhead bins that don't open up accidently. That's the solution. Then folks can bring their bikes on the plane, and nobody gets hit by any flying objects.
Old 04-08-14, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lekking
I was thinking about taking my Brompton to Vegas later this month, but have been put off by reports that Las Vegas is very cycling unfriendly. Did your friend ride from the airport or on/near the strip? If so, what was his experience?
I've taken my Bike Friday to LV on several trips and haven't encountered any problems. Didn't do much riding along the strip - I had the bike along mainly to be able to explore the surroundings - e.g. riding out to Lake Mead/Hoover Dam and to the Red Rock area. I did ride it through town to/from the airport towing the suitcase/trailer and other traffic seemed friendly enough. As they say - YMMV.

As I and others have said, don't put it in the overhead - having a falling suitcase is bad enough, but a bicycle has some rather sharp and hard edges that would be most unpleasant if the plane hits some bad turbulence.