Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Speed D7 Upgrade Questions

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-13, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Total noob when it comes to this stuff, just probing the waters to see what's common.

Bar Ends:
I can't figure where they would attach with the given grips on the bike. I imagine this could cause some folding issues too. Has anyone else done this to a Dahon with the Speed Style grips? I'm not opposed to different grips because frankly the ergonomics of the biologic grips it came with are a little baffling to me.

Saddle:
I am using the stock saddle and plan on using it for a while till a bike saddle is no longer painful on me. I might get a Brooks saddle since everyone seems to love them--but only after I've been riding more than a few months so I can find out what deficiencies the stock saddle has. Is there anything else I should take into consideration comfort or adjustability wise?

Shifter:
I hate the grip shifter, is it possible to install a push button style shifter?

Despite considering upgrades, I may not end up doing anything to the bike. As it stands, everything seems to work well and I'm very pleased with the bike. My friend just bought a Trek Verve Hybrid bike and he and I are both surprised by how well I can keep up with him.
Old 04-23-13, 10:20 AM
New usename ThorUSA

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bar ends will somehow interfere... I like the Cane Creek ones ..expensive though.... but there are copies around. You can slide the grips and everything inward to mount them

Saddle ..hmm yeah ... the brooks will be horrible for the first 500 miles .... than it will usually be a good saddle afterwards... so dont spend a lot of time getting used to the more comfort saddle and live with pain, as you will hurt again with the brooks when u change ..

Sbhifter ..sure but its expensive and you need to get the right one ....SHimano or sram are not working the same way ... I think with the rear derrailleur u would need a sram version

Best Thor
Old 04-23-13, 11:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brakemeister
Bar ends will somehow interfere... I like the Cane Creek ones ..expensive though.... but there are copies around. You can slide the grips and everything inward to mount them

Saddle ..hmm yeah ... the brooks will be horrible for the first 500 miles .... than it will usually be a good saddle afterwards... so dont spend a lot of time getting used to the more comfort saddle and live with pain, as you will hurt again with the brooks when u change ..

Sbhifter ..sure but its expensive and you need to get the right one ....SHimano or sram are not working the same way ... I think with the rear derrailleur u would need a sram version

Best Thor
So with the cane creek grips all I have to do is slide my grips inward? If that's true that might be one of my first upgrades. I was thinking I'd probably have to get new grips all together. I just want the bar ends to have an extra hand position for when it becomes uncomfortable.

Would you consider the Dahon D7 saddle a comfort saddle? I think it's fairly uncomfortable but then again I hadn't been on a bicycle for many years before I bought my Dahon.
Old 04-23-13, 11:41 AM

Bikes: Montague MX, Brompton S6L, Origami Crane, Dahon S1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A grip shifter came with my Origami Crane. When I upgrade the drivetrain I replaced the shifter with one of these 7-Speed shifters:

$12.95 at

https://www.ebikestop.com/shimano_alt...PARTNER=GOOGPS

It's a definite improvement.