Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Bike shoes for wide-ish feet

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-13, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Folks, check out these shoes.

I wear a U.S. size 10.5/11M "normal" shoe but I've been told I have wide feet as cycling shoes go. I currently have a different pair of Shimano shoes, but they have hard plastic along the side that cuts into the wide portion of my foot. These shoes, to my way of thinking, should be a lot more forgiving.

Anybody else had any luck with shoes like these? What have my fellow Clydes done to find shoes that fit?
Old 04-24-13, 06:12 PM

Bikes: Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ill make a suggestion. Try Specialized shoes. Thier shoes are wider in the toe box than most. If the standard size doesn't fit you can get the "Comp" shoes and thier top of the line S-Works also in wide widths.

I wear a 9 1/2 EEE. I fit in the wide Comp's just fine. I have a pair of mountain Comps in 44 that are a smidge large. And just last week picked up Road Comps in 43.5. They fit just fine, nice and snug.

Give Spesh a shot. I have tried on some Shimano's at Performance last year that fit fairly good too. I can't remember the model. But I believe they were a wide width as well. Sidi makes wide widths (Mega's), but are expensive. Take a look into Lake and Northwave as well. They are supposed to be on the wide side too.

Good luck in you're search.

Mark Shuman
Old 04-24-13, 06:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried SIDI megas, but though they are wider across the widest part of the foot, the toebox is still pointed. My second toe is almost as long as my big toe, so pointed shoes don't really work. I just got a pair of Lake shoes and the toe box is round and fits me well.
Old 04-24-13, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Northwave. Replaced shimano's with them. It is like going from a wingtip to a slipper in the toes. All my running shoes are wide width and 2EE hockey skates. The Northwaves were good to go out of the box.
Old 04-27-13, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Bonts. You can bake them in the oven and mold them to fit your feet if they need adjustment. I am not kidding. I recently bought a pair of these at a deep discount ($250) from a shop that was being sold to new owners:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...por-road-shoes

I agree with what they say about feet getting chilly around 50. Haven't ridden them in hot weather so I cannot comment on the alleged lack of ventilation.
Old 04-27-13, 10:04 AM
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Lakes are a bit wider toe box then sidi and shimano. They fit awesome and very stiff carbon sole.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 04-27-13, 10:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, that's two votes for Northwave. Are these sold at Performance or some other place like that?
Old 04-27-13, 11:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW, thanks guys. It's good to know that I still have several options at my disposal. Getting right-fitting shoes is the last and final barrier to pain-free riding.
Old 04-28-13, 04:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another option is custom shoes. These bad boys are seriously expensive, but my pair is 10 years old and still going strong.

https://www.d2shoe.com/
Old 04-28-13, 09:54 PM

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I use Sidi Mega width, they are pricy but since my current pair is 7 years old, that's about $25 per year.
Old 04-29-13, 04:10 AM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear size 13 EEEE in running shoes. My Lake Wide widths are a bit snug, but I can live with them. I've yet to find a cycling shoe in 4E.
Old 04-29-13, 04:15 AM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moose Power
Another option is custom shoes. These bad boys are seriously expensive, but my pair is 10 years old and still going strong.

https://www.d2shoe.com/
holy crap! Those are crazy expensive!
Old 04-29-13, 05:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tried the Sidi Mega 50 and again with a 51. I'm just not able to ride more than two hours without getting terrible hot spots on my feet. The D2 has allowed me to ride up to 1,000 miles a month without any problem. I have found the Sidi shoes to not be as durable as the D2.
Old 04-29-13, 09:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE:

I first tried exchanging the SPD shoes I had for another model (gotta love REI's return policy!) and no change. So I took the last pair back for a refund and picked up a pair of Bontragers from an LBS. They have a 30-day money back guarantee. They felt fine in the shop after I stood in them for 20 minutes, so we'll see.

If these don't work out, I'll go with Northwave. I tried on a pair of them at another LBS and they fit great, but were (1) three-bolt instead of two bolt and (2) a bit out of my price range. The shop where I bought the Bontragers were closing out their stock of Northwaves and had some in size 44 for $25. I thought I had won the shoe lottery, but they weren't long enough - my big toe was right at the end, and this was before I had done any riding. Still, the width felt great.

Riding tomorrow. Wish me luck ...
Old 04-30-13, 07:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Sidi Mega's in 48 and for me there is room for a aftermarket insole. 2 years old and look new.
Old 04-30-13, 11:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE 2:

Rode with the Bontrager shoes today. They felt pretty darn good. I think I got the cleats too far back, though, as I could feel the pedal jaws biting into my arch. But I did not have any of the nasty, stabbing foot pain I was having before. Also, the pedals were really hard to get into. I think I will move them up half a cleat diameter for Thursday's ride.
Old 05-01-13, 12:57 PM

Bikes: GT ZR5000, GT Timberline, Chariot Chauffeur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like you already bought shoes, I just wanted to toss my recommendation out there.
I bought these last year: Exustar E‑SM321 for $100 (CAD) from MEC.ca
https://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cyclin...shoes-mens.jsp

I have wide feet and I find these very comfortable. They have a ratchet strap on the top buckle and velcro. I use them on both my road bike & my mtb.

Lots of good reviews on the MEC site.

Hope you get the shoes you bought dialed in!!
Old 05-01-13, 01:13 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the Shimano R087W (W for wide). Nice wide toe box for my flintstone feet.

Last edited by Number400; 05-01-13 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-01-13, 01:22 PM
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by phread59
Ill make a suggestion. Try Specialized shoes. Thier shoes are wider in the toe box than most. If the standard size doesn't fit you can get the "Comp" shoes and thier top of the line S-Works also in wide widths.
I'll second this suggestion. I'm on the border of a regular and wide width. My current and previous main riding shoes are Specialized Sport MTB shoes. They fit nicely. My experience with Shimano shoes is mixed. I have two pairs of MT-22 shoes (one of them 2 metric sizes larger for layering socks in winter) that fit quite nicely, and a pair of high top MTB shoes that hurt my feet.
Old 05-04-13, 09:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phread59

I wear a 9 1/2 EEE. I fit in the wide Comp's just fine. I have a pair of mountain Comps in 44 that are a smidge large. And just last week picked up Road Comps in 43.5. They fit just fine, nice and snug.

Give Spesh a shot. I have tried on some Shimano's at Performance last year that fit fairly good too. I can't remember the model. But I believe they were a wide width as well. Sidi makes wide widths (Mega's), but are expensive. Take a look into Lake and Northwave as well. They are supposed to be on the wide side too.

Good luck in you're search.

Mark Shuman

+1 for the Specialized Comp suggestion. I too wear 10.5 EEEE and these shoe are the bomb. Love them.I use clipless pedals with them and i love them too. Good luck with your search for the right shoe. Btw try Diadora XC trail shoe. Read that they run wide also.
Old 05-16-13, 04:56 AM
Noob/Clyde

Bikes: 2012 Marin Palisades Trail 29er | 2013 Fezzari Catania

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Number400
I like the Shimano R087W (W for wide). Nice wide toe box for my flintstone feet.
I second this recommendation for Shimano Wide shoes!

I have the SH-M088LE in size 50
, the new MTB version of this one, and it fits my 13 4E feet well. I got it in one size bigger than my normal shoe size, which is perfect because the front part of the toe box would be too narrow for me otherwise. It was $120 from SmartBikeParts.com (https://smartbikeparts.com/search_det...=ESHM088C400LE). I use it on my roadie, too.
Old 05-16-13, 03:48 PM

Bikes: 2007 Rodriguez Ultimate Touring Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My feet are not particularly wide, but the first two pair of bicycle shoes I bought were too tight. finally struck gold with Keen - nice wide toe box. Bought three pair while they were on sale at Sierra Trading two years ago. MSRP is $100. Will probably add their bicycle sandals some day.

Old 01-26-15, 11:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asharx
It looks like you already bought shoes, I just wanted to toss my recommendation out there.
I bought these last year: Exustar E‑SM321 for $100 (CAD) from MEC.ca
https://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cyclin...shoes-mens.jsp

I have wide feet and I find these very comfortable. They have a ratchet strap on the top buckle and velcro. I use them on both my road bike & my mtb.

Lots of good reviews on the MEC site.

Hope you get the shoes you bought dialed in!!
The link you give is 4O4.
Old 01-26-15, 11:26 AM

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by radiocycle
The link you give is 4O4.
Hardly surprising, but thanks for reviving a 2 1/2 year old thread anyway.
Old 01-26-15, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by bassjones
holy crap! Those are crazy expensive!
Yeah. But at least some of them are "vegan friendly."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.