Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Any info on Romani?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Any info on Romani?

Old 05-04-13, 07:39 PM

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 113 Posts
Any info on Romani?

Just picked up a Romani Track bike from a nice young gentleman who said it was his grandfathers. Claims it was never ridden and appear so looking at the Chain ring and lack of blemishes throughout. I'm familiar with most of the big Italian builders, however don't know much about Romani. This one is a real beauty, any info or pics of other Romani's is greatly appreciated. Pics below (I added the saddle and plan on replacing with a leather Cinelli)

Old 05-05-13, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Thats a beautiful Romani! I haven't seen that many in BF. I scored this one at a garage sale about two years ago for $5.00. It had a incredibly smooth ride, and it was my daily rider up to the day I sold it. I remember it really hurt putting it on ebay and shiping it out. Yours is lovely too. I'm certain that you will enjoy it as muh as I did mine.

Flash
Old 05-05-13, 12:14 AM
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 770 Posts
we don't see that many under their own name, Romani was better known as a fairly big contract-builder for other brands. The one detail I can share is they are based in Parma, and have been in business since 1924.
Obviously, they know how to build bikes...
I see the dust cap is TA but what brand crank is that?

Last edited by unworthy1; 05-05-13 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-05-13, 01:52 AM

Flash, that is a sweet looking Romani, hopefully a BFer bought it.

Unworthy, thanks for the info. Good eye, yes the dust caps are TA, however the cranks are Tevano. It has Campagnolo track ends and Columbus Tubing, I assume SL as it takes a 27.2 seat post. I could not find a serial number, only a 0 on the upper BB.

Thanks again
Old 05-05-13, 08:31 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
A classmate from high school had one, with the same decals. His was a blue road model made from a combo of Columbus SL and SP tubing. Stiff BB I was told, and a very good ride.
The decals would place it mid to late 70s.
Old 05-05-13, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by WNG
A classmate from high school had one, with the same decals. His was a blue road model made from a combo of Columbus SL and SP tubing. Stiff BB I was told, and a very good ride.
The decals would place it mid to late 70s.
Thanks WNG
Old 05-05-13, 01:52 PM

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
ROMANI:
The information I have gathered goes like this: the company was founded in 1924 by the Romani family in Sala Baganza, Parma Italy. The Romanis were involved throughout the life of the company until production ceased in 1990. At least 80% of the frames that they produced were never branded as 'Romani', but some were stamped somewhere with the Romani signature. They rarely if ever produced whole machines, but rather they were frame-makers who supplied frames to some of the most prestigious marques in the Italian velo pantheon — especially when these other more iconic companies had order sheets that they could not accommodate.

Years ago, Romani frames were marketed by notable bicycle shops in the Western United States. These machines were branded as 'Romani' and gained a reputation for excellent value for the money spent

Their frames were made in various flavours of Columbus as well as Reynolds. And, from my examination of photographs, any two frames made from even different tubing can look virtually the same in detail, lugs and finish. Bikes that were sold with the Romani name were not as expensive as the more lustrous Italian brands, but they never seem to have disappointed anyone who ever owned and rode one.

After some very careful examination, I believe that my Simplon (pictured here) is a Romani frame. I built it up as a single speed bike on a restrictive budget. I absolutely love riding the thing. It appears to be carrying all the detailed hallmarks of Romani manufacture. It's stable, yet quick-handling with a silky ride. It's not pinned, but I can never get it to flex (but then I'm by no means a young athlete). This one is made in Reynolds 531. BTW, I can turn it back to a multi-geared machine within a couple of hours.

I would love to own your track version, and I am sure you will enjoy it for many years to come. Congrats on a very sweet find.

Last edited by Lenton58; 05-05-13 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-06-13, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike! Here in Sweden we fin a few 1980s Romani road bikes. Some 1981 catalog pics from the LBS shows that the frame was slightly cheaper than Somec and Rossin bikes here. Great frames though.

Old 05-06-13, 06:46 AM

Good stuff. Thanks guys!
Old 01-28-15, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you scan the Laurel & "ROMANI" letters for me? I am trying to reproduce those decals. Please send me a PM.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-15, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1974
Nice bike! Here in Sweden we fin a few 1980s Romani road bikes. Some 1981 catalog pics from the LBS shows that the frame was slightly cheaper than Somec and Rossin bikes here. Great frames though.

I need a scan of this Bottom page, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 11-14-17, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Romani bike in Spain

I found an abandoned Romani bike recently, here in Spain. It worked fine, but had to change the brake wires and the wheels (Branded Michelin). Ive been using it in replacement for my mountain bike, which weights a lot (and I'm tired of carrying that around). I expected it to be hard to ride but guess what, its amazing, it goes so smooth and fast...
I'm also interested in knowing more about this brand if you have any interesting facts. (Sadly I can't post a photo of it, it don't allows me to do so)

Last edited by jojasa99; 11-14-17 at 04:45 AM.
Old 11-14-17, 04:52 AM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3060 Post(s)
Liked 6,384 Times in 3,695 Posts
ROMANI, main
Old 11-20-18, 06:31 PM

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts
I know this thread is pretty dormant, but anyone have any thoughts on what kind of frame this one might be? Definitely 80s.It's pretty, and supposedly NOS, but I don't want to go out and drape it in old Campy gear if it turns out it's cheapo hi-ten steel or the like.

Likes For cormacf:
Old 11-20-18, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 528 Posts
Originally Posted by cormacf
I know this thread is pretty dormant, but anyone have any thoughts on what kind of frame this one might be? Definitely 80s.It's pretty, and supposedly NOS, but I don't want to go out and drape it in old Campy gear if it turns out it's cheapo hi-ten steel or the like.

Are those Columbus dropouts?
Not necessarily the universal rule, but you see them mostly on higher volume, mid level market framesets, while Camoagnolo dropouts tend to be on higher market frames. Could be at least Columbus SL or Aelle or Tretubi. Which are all good and I would not hesitate hanging at least Campy NR Gruppos on those, but it is up to you if you want to go higher level SR, as a lot of SL framed bikes were equipped with such, BITD....
If you want to go with a newer Gruppo, you can go from Campy Victory, all the way up to Chorus.....

Last edited by Chombi1; 11-20-18 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-20-18, 07:34 PM

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Originally Posted by Chombi1
Are those Columbus dropouts?
Not necessarily the universal rule, but you see them mostly on higher volume, mid level market framesets, while Camoagnolo dropouts tend to be on l higher market frames. Could be at least Columbus SL or Aelle or Tretubi. Which are all good and I would not hesitate hanging at least Campy NR Gruppos on those, but it is up to you if you want to go higher level SR, as a lot of SL framed bikes were equipped with such, BITD....
If you want to go with a newer Gruppo, you can go from Campy Victory, all the way up to Chorus.....
Got it. In that case, this also-New Old Stock, SLX-framed Rossin with Campy dropouts is in my size, with an asking price of $549. Thinking it might be worth the extra $200 for a ground-up build...

Old 11-20-18, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 528 Posts
Got it. In that case, this also-New Old Stock, SLX-framed Rossin with Campy dropouts is in my size, with an asking price of $549. Thinking it might be worth the extra $200 for a ground-up build...

That SLX frame is pretty much close to or at the top of the market price for SLX frames from not very well known makers.
It will all come down to how much you really like this particular frameset (aside from the lug details and chrome, does the color and graphics look attractive to you, and how it fits you).....
Heck I paid for more than that for a Vitus 983 framed bike without wheels, not too long ago, because I just really always liked the bike since I first saw them in the 80's and it was the exact correct size for me, plus I doubt if I'll find the same bike again in the same condition that easily....
Old 11-20-18, 10:03 PM

It's not my ideal paint job. Given my druthers, I'd prefer a celeste Bianchi or a racing green Mercian. Or simmering with gorgeous Nervex lugs. But the "New Old Stock" had a bit of allure

I guess I'll be patient.

Originally Posted by Chombi1
That SLX frame is pretty much close to or at the top of the market price for SLX frames from not very well known makers.
It will all come down to how much you really like this particular frameset (aside from the lug details and chrome, does the color and graphics look attractive to you, and how it fits you).....
Heck I paid for more than that for a Vitus 983 framed bike without wheels, not too long ago, because I just really always liked the bike since I first saw them in the 80's and it was the exact correct size for me, plus I doubt if I'll find the same bike again in the same condition that easily....
Old 09-28-19, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Did you ever find a Romani that fit the bill? I have a late 80s - early 90s era Romani w/ internal cable routing and like the feel and geometry (shorter tt for a more upright position). Easy to identify slx by the bb and joint spirals. Haven't had much luck catalog hunting, though.

It's not my ideal paint job. Given my druthers, I'd prefer a celeste Bianchi or a racing green Mercian. Or simmering with gorgeous Nervex lugs. But the "New Old Stock" had a bit of allure

I guess I'll be patient.
Old 09-28-19, 08:09 AM

Bikes: '76 Colnago Super NR,'83 Romani Aero KL/SP SR, '85 Mino Denti Aero Master CR, '86 ALAN Cyclo-cross DA, '89 Bottecchia SLX CR, '90 Colnago Master Piu CR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ctak
Did you ever find a Romani that fit the bill? I have a late 80s - early 90s era Romani w/ internal cable routing and like the feel and geometry (shorter tt for a more upright position). Easy to identify slx by the bb and joint spirals. Haven't had much luck catalog hunting, though.
Romani also made excellent frames in low numbers. The photo below shows the mine (with horrible in-store repainting) next to the my Mino Denti Aero Master with same size. The details are the same as on the fantastic Somec Air 2001. My Favorites: the Somec-styl brake cable routing on the top tube and the little tubes for gear cables guide in BB shell. The Denti frame is made with a full SL tube, but the Romani is lighter, though the main tubes are SP tubes. The solution was to use extra light KL for the other pipes.

And a beautiful lo-pro from the second half of the '80s justifying Romani's art /Unfortunately it's not mine /
Likes For Old Fireleg:
Old 09-30-19, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Interesting cable routing - I've never seen that before. Did you happen to weigh your Romani frameset? Mine came in about 1950g (57cm).
Likes For ctak: