Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek 8.3 DS vs Merida Crossway 20-MD

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
I was thinking about buying a Trek 8.3 DS. I've almost made up my mind, but then discovered a less expensive alternative that looked pretty much similar:

Merida Crossway 20-MD
https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/b...Crossway+20-MD

The bikes share many common components (fork, derailleurs, brakes, etc), but Merida costs 25% less than Trek DS.

A slightly more advanced bike in the same Merida line, Crossway 40-D, is still less expensive than Trek DS.

Is there some catch I am missing out? I am a little suspicious since I have never heard of Merida brand before I moved from the US. Has anyone had good/bad experience with Merida bikes? Is the price difference justified?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-13, 07:46 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Merida is sorta like Giant- they make the frames for other brands on a contract basis, in addition to offering their own models. I don't know where Trek gets their frames from, but I'm aware that Giant used to supply Specialized before losing the contract to Merida.

Trek also tends to be a bit pricier for a comparable product, IMO. Whether that is because they are cashing in on brand name recognition or simply recouping the insane advertising expense they surely incur, I'm not sure.

Basically, ignore the stickers on the frame and concentrate on how it feels when you ride it
Old 05-30-13, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, here are my first impressions about Merida (I did buy it in the end). It feels heavy, but so did Trek DS. I also tried Trek FX and Cannondale Quick. These are WAY lighter, but after I took them for a test ride on a cobblestone street (we have quite a few around here), I knew for sure that I want something with a suspension fork. On the same street, Merida was definitely more comfortable, even with the fork spring locked out; I guess its frame is softer or maybe just the tires were not inflated as much.

The disc brakes are too soft for my taste. I realize that they are not top of the line, and that they may take some time to burn in, but I am still a bit disappointed. Anyhow, Trek DS has exact same brakes. If I chose it instead of Merida, I wouldn't have seen much of a difference.

The derailleurs occasionally make noise, even in reasonable gear ratios, but this is probably the fault of whoever assembled the bike at the shop, not the manufacturer's.

Overall, this seems to be a solid bike; not without some quirks, but they are too few to justify the price difference over Trek DS.

Last edited by serg117; 05-30-13 at 02:01 PM.