Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colnago Sport - date and authenticity?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-21-13, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there.

I am looking at a Colnago Sport.
The current owner does not know the age.

Pictures here: https://lars.so/colnago.png

Can you spot how old it is?

Also through my research I have found out that there are fake Colnagos out there. And some of the Colnagos aren't even real racing bikes, but department store bikes with a racing look.

Is this particular bike real? And is it a real racing bike?

Kind regards,
Lars
Old 05-22-13, 12:02 AM

Bikes: Casati, Look, Torelli, Ridley, and a bunch of steel bikes from the 80s and the 90s..

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think I would touch it with your ten foot pole. But then, I have proven wrong many times. It does not look good. Never heard of a colnago sport
Old 05-22-13, 12:17 AM

Bikes: 1985 Vitus Carbone 3, 1982 Raleigh Super Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the pictures I have seen, it looks fairly authentic, same dropouts, decals (except on the seat tube), fork seems the same, and regardless it has some nice parts. A Colnago expert will surely help you out more I'm sure though haha.
Old 05-22-13, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
Colnago put the "Colnago Sport" out as an entry-to-mid-level model out for a few years, I believe from '81 to '86 but I can not say for certain. I have only seen a few and they all pretty much look like the one you have in the pictures. Just a wild guess based on the down tube graphic, brown suede saddle and non-aero brake levers, I would say somewhere around '82-'83.

Closeups of the dropouts, the bottom bracket, seat cluster and head tube lugs would be very useful.
Old 05-22-13, 08:11 PM

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
Lars S - As mentioned, the Colnago Sport line was to capitalize on Colnago's surge in popularity in the 70s and 80s. They were designed by Colnago and manufactured by contract builders. Typically, the framesets were Aelle or Falk tubing but I am not sure for the one you are considering. There is a link here to another example. The one in your link would probably be early 80s as I recall an identically decaled one from a local shop in that period. Nice bikes, nicely made and equipped to a price point.

Just checked the link. That Colnago Sport is decaled with a Columbus Zeta sticker. This was a high tensile, lighter gauge steel tubing which was the entry level Columbus tubing of the time.

Last edited by bertinjim; 05-22-13 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 05-23-13, 01:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your detailed replies!
I am really considering buying it, even though I had hoped for a more student friendly price.
Is it worth the $520 pricetag?
I haven't looked for a vintage bike for more than a week, but kinda want to get started, as the summers here in Denmark are short.
Old 05-23-13, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lars S
Thanks for all your detailed replies!
I am really considering buying it, even though I had hoped for a more student friendly price.
Is it worth the $520 pricetag?
I haven't looked for a vintage bike for more than a week, but kinda want to get started, as the summers here in Denmark are short.
If I had $520 and an opportunity to buy it, I would already be riding it.
Old 05-23-13, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
For 400 euros you should be able to find a much nicer bike in Europe. I haven't looked in Denmark but in Germany, France, the Netherlands or Italy you can find much better. This bike looks very clean and does have the Colnago name, but the componentry is all second tier, the frame is also second tier. If you were to come across a similarly equipped bike without the Colnago name, the price would likely be less than 200 euros. The Colnago Sport name will also not help you eventually sell the bike onwards. It will also make the bike attractive for thieves.
Old 05-23-13, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Citoyen du Monde
For 400 euros you should be able to find a much nicer bike in Europe. I haven't looked in Denmark but in Germany, France, the Netherlands or Italy you can find much better. This bike looks very clean and does have the Colnago name, but the componentry is all second tier, the frame is also second tier. If you were to come across a similarly equipped bike without the Colnago name, the price would likely be less than 200 euros. The Colnago Sport name will also not help you eventually sell the bike onwards. It will also make the bike attractive for thieves.
Exactly.

I don't worry about bicycles when I visit my wife's family in Bayern anymore.

I've found very nice bicycles on the cheap each trip.

In fact, I will be using my wife's uncle's Wilier mtb and buying something for the road on our visit this summer.

I won't feel bad about taking the el cheapo on our trip to Croatia, that's for sure.