Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Dutch invasion (or show us your DUTCH bikes)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Dutch invasion (or show us your DUTCH bikes)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-10, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts
The ensemble is from around 1985 The frame is finished in team paint and the jersey is team gear.

Slightly earlier example shown on the cover of this catalogue (Source: Bulgier) >>

Old 05-11-10, 11:50 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
That's an incredible picture.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-11-10, 03:50 PM

The rider pictured is Geert Schipper.
Old 05-13-10, 08:41 AM

60s Gazelle

70s Presto

(a friends) 80s Zieleman

Old 05-18-10, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
From 1984. I bought the frame and built up the bike from parts I had or just boughtbatavus 001..jpgbatavus 002..jpgbatavus 005..jpgbatavus 006..jpgbatavus 007..jpgbatavus 003..jpgbatavus 004..jpg
Funny thing was that it came with Campy dropouts and dura ace shifter bosses. I had to modify my levers by drilling a hole and adding a pin stop to the inside of each lever.
Old 05-19-10, 12:15 AM
presto, pronto, prego!

Bikes: Dave Lloyd custom, Brands SLX, Visser Vainqueur, XACD ti custom, Hewitt Scandium, Presto 1972, and more ...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Elev12k
The ensemble is from around 1985 The frame is finished in team paint and the jersey is team gear.

Slightly earlier example shown on the cover of this catalogue (Source: Bulgier) >>

Geert Schipper was part of the team that won the gold medal in the 1982 world Championships, 100 km team time trial. Other team members: Gerrit Solleveld, Maarten Ducrot, Frits van Bindsbergen.
Schipper was late to rise to the top so to speak, he was 34 when achieving that medal. He was a very good time trialist, a real 'hardrijder'. He always stayed amateur, while the others became pros.

Possibly the pic from Elev12k is from c. 1982 as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1261814406SCHIPPERG&.jpg (50.2 KB, 124 views)
Old 05-21-10, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
CERA by Cees Raas. Only one I have seen or heard of. Its a beauty in pearlescent white/gold.
Found it on ebay and was the only bidder.

Last edited by big chainring; 05-21-10 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-21-10, 01:47 PM

Bikes: 2007 Nagasawa with C-Record, 1992 Duell with Croce D'aune/Chorus, three Gazelles, M5 recumbent

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I have never heard of Cera bikes, it looks nice.
Old 05-21-10, 02:13 PM

Info that I have found is that Cees Raas is Jan Raas' uncle. Jan Raas was Dutch and World cycling champion back in the 70's.

I think he was also influential in getting Jan into bicycle racing. Thats all I know, and from riding the bike, a darn good framebuilder.

The frame is marked on the fork crown and bottom bracket with the number "4". Serial number perhaps? Rear derailleur is a 1981. Has the old style Campy pedals with the toe strap loop.
Old 05-22-10, 12:15 AM

Bikes: 2007 Nagasawa with C-Record, 1992 Duell with Croce D'aune/Chorus, three Gazelles, M5 recumbent

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Info that I have found is that Cees Raas is Jan Raas' uncle. Jan Raas was Dutch and World cycling champion back in the 70's.

I think he was also influential in getting Jan into bicycle racing. Thats all I know, and from riding the bike, a darn good framebuilder.

If you understand Dutch, here is more information about Cera:
https://wielersport.slogblog.nl/post/1/1398
Old 05-22-10, 12:55 AM

Bikes: Wabi Lightning, fixed 13.6 pounds. Cera steel road bike Campy veloce 9s

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by big chainring
CERA by Cees Raas. Only one I have seen or heard of. Its a beauty in pearlescent white/gold.
Found it on ebay and was the only bidder.

Hi there, nice to see all the Dutch bikes! Cees Raas is my uncle. He is Jan Raas' brother in law. He retired about 10 years ago. he sold a lot of his stock and paint booth when he retired, but when he learned that I had an interest in framebuilding, he gave me all his home made frame and fork building jigs, along with a fortune worth of bronze and silver brazing rods. I have the very punch used to put the name CERA on the seatstay of your bike lying in my shed!

He ran a bike shop and later frame building shop, but was also a part-time machinist for a company making combine harvesters. That's where he built all his jigs with the help of his brother Jan (no not the racer).

He took an interest in framebuilding after a visit to the Gazelle factory and the geometry of his frames (as well as the paint jobs) is inspired by the Gazelle bikes. He believes that a parallel head tube and seat tube (i.e. 74-74 degrees) makes for the best ride.

When local racers began to ask him about custom frames he didn't have his framebuilding shop and had the first few frames made by other builders, including Zieleman. I recently bought a used CERA frame off marktplaats, showed it to my uncle and he said it was likely one of the first and built by Zieleman. He is having it repainted for me with the original decals that he still had lying around!

He is still living in 's Heerenhoek with his wife Corrie (sister of Jan Raas, the racer. same surname, but no relation).

When I was about 10, Jan Raas (the racer) regularly dropped by for coffee on Sundays at Cees'place and on one of those days I was there with my mum and dad. My mum pushed me to ask Jan Raas for his autograph but I wasn't very interested because I didn't really realize who he was!

I was never very interested in bikes until about 8 years ago, after my uncle retired, so I missed out on a lot of bike building expertise. But now I have his framebuilding jigs and have commenced with my first frame, a simple lugged track frame. I should have some pictures of the jigs. I can post them if interested.

Cheers!
Old 05-22-10, 01:09 AM

Bikes: Monark sportser 1970, Monark sportser 1970ish, Monark folder, Mustand 1985, Monark Tempo 1999, Monark 318 1975, Crescent 319 1979, Crescent 325 c:a 1965, Crescent Starren 2002 (hybrid/sport), Nordstjernan 1960`s cruiser.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Batavus
Hi there, nice to see all the Dutch bikes! Cees Raas is my uncle. He is Jan Raas' brother in law. He retired about 10 years ago. he sold a lot of his stock and paint booth when he retired, but when he learned that I had an interest in framebuilding, he gave me all his home made frame and fork building jigs, along with a fortune worth of bronze and silver brazing rods. I have the very punch used to put the name CERA on the seatstay of your bike lying in my shed!

He ran a bike shop and later frame building shop, but was also a part-time machinist for a company making combine harvesters. That's where he built all his jigs with the help of his brother Jan (no not the racer).

He took an interest in framebuilding after a visit to the Gazelle factory and the geometry of his frames (as well as the paint jobs) is inspired by the Gazelle bikes. He believes that a parallel head tube and seat tube (i.e. 74-74 degrees) makes for the best ride.

When local racers began to ask him about custom frames he didn't have his framebuilding shop and had the first few frames made by other builders, including Zieleman. I recently bought a used CERA frame off marktplaats, showed it to my uncle and he said it was likely one of the first and built by Zieleman. He is having it repainted for me with the original decals that he still had lying around!

He is still living in 's Heerenhoek with his wife Corrie (sister of Jan Raas, the racer. same surname, but no relation).

When I was about 10, Jan Raas (the racer) regularly dropped by for coffee on Sundays at Cees'place and on one of those days I was there with my mum and dad. My mum pushed me to ask Jan Raas for his autograph but I wasn't very interested because I didn't really realize who he was!

I was never very interested in bikes until about 8 years ago, after my uncle retired, so I missed out on a lot of bike building expertise. But now I have his framebuilding jigs and have commenced with my first frame, a simple lugged track frame. I should have some pictures of the jigs. I can post them if interested.

Cheers!
This is just great! Makes all my time on BF worth while! Great story - make use of your heritage
Old 05-22-10, 07:06 AM

Batavus,
Thanks for all that information. Unbelievable. The info I found on the internet about Cees Raas was from articles translated from Dutch to English.
I couldnt figure out if he was Jan Raas' uncle or cousin. Now it makes sense as their was mention of Jans sister, so they are brothers in law.

And Cees is YOUR uncle, amazing. Well, he made a very nice bike. I got it on ebay and wasnt really sure what it was except the connection to Jan Raas.
That was good enough for me. I just received it Thursday 5-20. Put it together and took it for a ride. Its a fantastic bike. Handles great, and very stiff
rear triangle. All the power I put into riding goes right to the rear wheel, very little frame deflection.

Next time you see or talk to him I'd appreciate if you would say Hi for me. And that one of his bikes is in the States being ridden and enjoyed. I'll post a few pics
in the coming days.

Thanks - Paul
Old 06-02-10, 04:34 PM

Cabinet of curiosities

From bottom to top:
- Presto Ladies frame, custom made in proper Dutch lady size. Build by Jan Legrand for a friend.
- Vittorio Strada. Build by Jan Groot in Alkmaar. Vittorio: Well know for their Randonneurs, but not really for roadbikes. This is one and it actually really nice. A well proportioned bike that already by looking at tells you it must be great. Columbus tubing. Brake cable runs nicely slotted through the toptube. 'JG' and 'Vittorio' engraved at several places.
- 65cm RIH. Shown frame, but it is part of a complete bike with full 1st gen Super Record. All immaculate. Took it apart for a complete overhaull. Not really needed, but you know me. I will leave the Campag grease in buttersmooth headset and bb untouched.
- Gazelle Stayerfiets. Very fast. Speeds up to 100km/h are achieved in the slipstream of a derney. Not an aesthetic delight and a little obscure, but sure fun and freakin rare.

A nice ensemble. From some I enjoy having my hands on them, making them tidy and seeing them go to new happy owners, from others I know they will probably stay here with me into eternity.

I hope you like them as much as I do.

Old 07-07-10, 09:20 AM

It already had an introduction in the previous post, my new old Vittorio Strada

Vittorio is still business and is widely known for building randonneurs for serious journeys. They sometimes do road- or trackbikes also. My 'Strada' roadbike dates from somewhere early 80s I think.

Like with pretty much all bikes I acquire I took the Strada entirely in pieces for a major overhaul. That is what I am doing now. There is still a long way to go, but I already got the cockpit ready >>

It is the original cockpit, but with new hoods and tape. Stem is a Cinelli 1A, bar is a Cinelli Champione del Mondo and the brake levers are from Campagnolo's Nuovo Record group.

The golden tape is recycled tape from another bike I got not long ago. It looked very good. I've chosen 'gold', to match with the gold lettering on the frame.

The bike came with a mix of Nuovo Gran Sport with a little Nuovo Record and the dropped paralellogram rear mech was a Shimano 600 example. Most parts will make their return, but for the rear gear change I am considering Dura Ace or Nuovo Gran Sport.
Old 07-09-10, 08:14 AM
@$#!?&!!$

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My newest addition, I should have it built up in the next few weeks.

Jake
Old 07-09-10, 12:46 PM
Mostly Mischief

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
where did you get that from?

need a 62cm
Old 07-10-10, 12:34 AM
ride on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Duell / Jan van Dalen

Funny you mention it: this is my recently finished Duell 'Solo'.
And - it's a 62,5 cm.
(Just not for sale, sorry.)

Hope you like it, I bought it because of it's color (no kiddin', I love that kind of stuff, this one is "raspberry").

Last edited by Cool Steel; 07-10-10 at 04:14 AM. Reason: photo URL edited
Old 07-10-10, 06:28 AM

Hi Cool Steel, that is a supersweet bike. Nicely build. How does it ride? Is it a rider for you of a display item only?

I am working on a 59cm Pursuit. No pics yet. It has a quirky fade paintscheme: Blue sides, but on top, bottom, front and back everything is red. Duell often made (and make!) work of their paintschemes. Here another candysweet paint >>

Cool Steel's Solo is about a half to one decade earlier than Jake's newly acquired gem, but many would have guessed that already me thinks.
Old 07-10-10, 08:33 AM
@$#!?&!!$

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jan nikolajsen
where did you get that from?

need a 62cm
I got it from a friend in Belgium, the same one that I got my Merckx from.

Very nice ride Cool Steel!!! I love the color also.

Jake
Old 07-11-10, 12:23 AM
ride on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elev12k
Hehehe, that's indeed a crazy paint job. I'd ride it in a heartbeat though .

My raspberry lady needs a couple of final adjustments, so I couldn't ride her yet. It'll happen in the next few days ... and she will be ridden from time to time, just not too regularly - I have enough stuff for hard everyday use. City curb hopping, lots of glass splinters or even locking up isn't really what she deserves, that's what I use the Vittorio for - and that one can take a lot, there's a reason why I call it "the tank" .
Old 07-11-10, 10:10 AM

CS, finishing a Vittorio Strada is one of my main priorities atm. See post 165 and 166. I am really looking forward to experience the ride myself.
Old 07-18-10, 08:06 PM
@$#!?&!!$

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finished building the frameset from a few post earlier.

Jake
Old 07-20-10, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by javal
This is just great! Makes all my time on BF worth while! Great story - make use of your heritage
+1
@ Batavus...Contributions like yours are a big part of what makes me love this forum.

Would love to see pics of the jigs and stuff you've inherited
Old 07-20-10, 01:48 PM

Hi Jake,

That looks tidy.

How does it ride?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.