Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New (To Me) Trek 560 Pro

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New (To Me) Trek 560 Pro

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-09, 10:25 AM
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
New (To Me) Trek 560 Pro

I bought a Trek 560 Pro yesterday.

It has some paint chips:

I searched and see advice to use wet sandpaper or chemicals on rust, but none of the threads I looked at seem to factor in the size/location of the rusted area. In this case, I would be appreciative if some of you more experienced folks could offer some direction.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-25-09, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Sweet bike. Step one is make sure the stem and seat post are properly greased. I'll let someone with more experience tackle the rust.
Old 09-25-09, 11:35 AM
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
How much repainteing do you really want to get into? If minimal, you can just use some localized sanding, without disturbing much of the surrounding paint, to get most of the rust out. Then apply some "rust converter", let it cure 2 days, then topcoat.

I personally like my brass wire brush in a drill. Have the bike in a stand and hold the drill w/2 hands or it may wander. But it will take off more paint.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 09-25-09, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
looks like an '87 or '88 pro with reynolds 531 frame...

but with that much rusting, personally i would strip the frame and do a complete repaint or powdercoat.