Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Drivetrain question for Soma Saga

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-09, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I picked up a Saga last week, and I am trying to pick the drive train components and would love some advice. I grabbed a Sugino xd 500t from Soma, its a 9 speed triple crankset, (48-36-24t). My question lies in what components I can use with the Sugino. I'm not real familiar with chain spacing, will a campy 9 speed derailer setup work with the Sugino?

Looking at the prices on bar end shifters I leaning towards campy sti shifters, is the Sugino triple going to be difficult to dial in with the front derailer?

I'm outside my experience here, so would appreciate any input from those with the know.
Old 12-08-09, 07:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By chance does anyone know if Sugino uses Shimano 9 speed spacing or Campagnolo..
Old 12-09-09, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Sugino chainring spacing works just fine with Shimano 9 speed on several of my bikes. Don't know about Campy.

Good luck on the Saga build, please post a report after it's complete.

Sam in Cincy
Old 12-09-09, 06:53 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the Sugino cranks, Shimano bar end shifters, Tiagra front derailleur; worked great (Stock LHT, 9spd XT rear end).
Old 12-10-09, 07:44 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
parts

Personally I would use Shimano 9-speed parts. They are easier to find, less expensive and in my experience more reliable than Campy. You can buy Dura-Ace 9-speed bar-end or downtube shifters for very reasonable prices, and they are bulletproof. STIs in 9-speed are getting hard to find and much more expensive. Shimano 10-speed derailleurs will work with 9-speed shifters and cranks.

FWIW, my Bob Jackson touring bike has a Campy Centaur compact 10-speed crank, Dura-Ace 9-spd front derailleur, Ultegra 10-spd rear derailleur, and Dura-Ace 9-spd bar-end shifters. It all functions perfectly. I used the Campy crank because it looks much better than Shimano's compact cranks, and it was for sale at a good price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BJ-8.jpg (76.5 KB, 60 views)
Old 12-10-09, 08:03 AM
Arsehole

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Personally I would use Shimano 9-speed parts. They are easier to find, less expensive and in my experience more reliable than Campy. You can buy Dura-Ace 9-speed bar-end or downtube shifters for very reasonable prices, and they are bulletproof. STIs in 9-speed are getting hard to find and much more expensive. Shimano 10-speed derailleurs will work with 9-speed shifters and cranks.

FWIW, my Bob Jackson touring bike has a Campy Centaur compact 10-speed crank, Dura-Ace 9-spd front derailleur, Ultegra 10-spd rear derailleur, and Dura-Ace 9-spd bar-end shifters. It all functions perfectly. I used the Campy crank because it looks much better than Shimano's compact cranks, and it was for sale at a good price.
HA! HA HA! HAHAHAHAHAHA... XD

Oh my! That was Funny!

FWIW, your crank doesn't care what components are on it; Shimano (ick), Campy, SRAM, or Micro****. It doesn't care if you run 8 speed, 9 speed, or 10 speed. It might get a little flakey with 5 or 6 speed....
Old 12-10-09, 09:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate the feedback, I tossed the towel in on the campy set up. I couldn't find a long cage 9 speed rear derailleur to save my arse. Decided on the bar ends, and a shimano drive train, actually went with the IRD Alpina-d front derailleur.
Old 01-28-10, 11:45 PM
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm going to be building up a SOMA Saga and am looking for front derailleur advice. I'll be setting it up with a Sugino XD 500 triple (26/36/48) and 113mm BB. Shifters will be 9-speed Shimano bar-cons. The front derailleurs I'm looking at are:
  • Shimano FD-M773
  • Shimano FD-M591
  • Shimano FD-T661
According to what I've read on various sites, they can all accommodate a 48t big ring, but I'm wondering about chainstay and bottle boss clearance.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by MileHighMark; 01-29-10 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-29-10, 09:43 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used a top swing m591 on mine, paired to an outboard XT crankset w/ a 48t big ring. Can't help with chainline issues, but the derailleur clamp worked fine. It actually straddles the seat tube bottle braze-ons, but the bottle cage is split enough to fit right overtop of it with nothing touching.

Old 01-29-10, 09:57 AM
Old. Slow. Happy.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jabberwocky
I used a top swing m591 on mine, paired to an outboard XT crankset w/ a 48t big ring. Can't help with chainline issues, but the derailleur clamp worked fine. It actually straddles the seat tube bottle braze-ons, but the bottle cage is split enough to fit right overtop of it with nothing touching.

Excellent, thanks! Got any more pics of your Saga?
Old 01-29-10, 10:39 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MileHighMark
Excellent, thanks! Got any more pics of your Saga?
Sure do!

Old 01-29-10, 11:05 AM
Old. Slow. Happy.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sure do!
Very nice. Which (rear) carrier is that?
Old 01-29-10, 11:19 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MileHighMark
Very nice. Which (rear) carrier is that?
Tubus Cosmo SS. Front is a matching Nova SS.
Old 01-29-10, 11:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used a top swing m591 on mine, paired to an outboard XT crankset w/ a 48t big ring. [...]

Correction -- sorry to nitpick, here -- but that's a photo of a bottom swing derailleur. I'm constantly confused by the selection of front derailleurs (top-swing/bottom-swing/bottom-pull/top-pull/28.6/34/etc....), and recently decided to get it straight in my mind. So please, don't confuse me...

Also looks like a bottom-pull, but I can't be sure.

Just trying to minimize confusion so people don't end up ordering wrong parts.

-- Mark
Old 01-29-10, 11:50 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EmmCeeBee
Correction -- sorry to nitpick, here -- but that's a photo of a bottom swing derailleur. I'm constantly confused by the selection of front derailleurs (top-swing/bottom-swing/bottom-pull/top-pull/28.6/34/etc....), and recently decided to get it straight in my mind. So please, don't confuse me...
Man, I actually knew that and still typed it wrong. You are correct. And yes, its a bottom pull (although most Shimano front derailleurs will work with either).
Old 01-29-10, 12:01 PM
Old. Slow. Happy.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I caught that, too. I knew from the pic which model it was, though. Bottom-swing (high clamp), and bottom-pull (but that model can route either way).

The rear mechs are much easier. I found a take-off RD-M750 on eBay, and that's already in the parts box.
Old 01-29-10, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Sugino Cranks work well. The top is one of my road bikes set up with a Sugino 600 46/36/26 and an 12-34 8 speed. It is my daily ride and I use it when there are hills in the day's schedule. It is riden almost every weekday, year around. The crank arm is a little rough from shoe covers rubbing against it. The lower is my touring bike set up with a X-500 44/32/22 and an 11-34 cassette (9 speed) All Shimano drive trains. The STI shifters work great. I think that the Tiagra front derailleur is one of the most versitile going. It seems to come on a lot of medium and higher end touring bikes. I think here is a reason for this.

Last edited by Doug64; 01-29-10 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-20-11, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jabberwocky,
Did you get the Saga frameset with the steering tube uncut? I've asked two vendors and have not received a response.
Lyndon
Old 03-20-11, 04:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LuckyLyndy
jabberwocky,
Did you get the Saga frameset with the steering tube uncut? I've asked two vendors and have not received a response.
Lyndon
Jaberwocky hasn't posted here for almost a year, so I'll answer for him. Outside Outfitters shipped my Saga frame with the fork steering tube uncut. I can't imagine any vendor cutting the fork steering tube unless they were selling a complete built-up bike. Someone selling a bare frame and fork would have no idea what type of headset, spacers, or handlebars the final bike will have.