Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help with a Proper Road Bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-15-10, 05:16 PM

Bikes: Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and I'm already looking for advice. I picked up an uber cheap road bike last summer to see if I could get into road cycling. Sure enough, I really enjoyed my countless km blasting across the countryside so I've decided I might like to try and find myself a proper road bike.

I'm 21 and a Canadian undergrad in biochemistry, so money is an object. I'm thinking I should be able to come up with $1000.00 +-200 for a road bike. It won't be for racing, just touring for fitness. I don't know a whole lot about bikes and am really not sure (for my skill level and needs) what's worth the money in terms of tiagra vs sora vs this vs that.

Anyhow, I'm looking for some suggestions as close to $1000.00 as possible... I'm 5'7'' with nearly a 31" inseam, if that matters.

The bikes I've had my eye on are:

Specialized Allez Sport Comp
Giant Defy 3.0
Devinci Silverstone

Can anyone share some experiences they've had with any of the above?
But I'm open to suggestions

I really appreciate any wisdom that could be shared, really.

DM
Old 03-15-10, 08:46 PM
parsnips!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by d2macken
Hey everyone,

I'm new here and I'm already looking for advice. I picked up an uber cheap road bike last summer to see if I could get into road cycling. Sure enough, I really enjoyed my countless km blasting across the countryside so I've decided I might like to try and find myself a proper road bike.

I'm 21 and a Canadian undergrad in biochemistry, so money is an object. I'm thinking I should be able to come up with $1000.00 +-200 for a road bike. It won't be for racing, just touring for fitness. I don't know a whole lot about bikes and am really not sure (for my skill level and needs) what's worth the money in terms of tiagra vs sora vs this vs that.

Anyhow, I'm looking for some suggestions as close to $1000.00 as possible... I'm 5'7'' with nearly a 31" inseam, if that matters.

Giant Defy 3.0
Devinci Silverstone

DM
Forget about that crap. For that money and your purpose, you can get a fabulous classic Italian lugged steel bicycle with Campagnolo components. Those which were built right about the time you were born are among the best bargains in road bikes today. Do a little research on Italian racing bikes to glean the desireable makes, and start searching ebay. If you're not racing, such a bicycle is vastly superior in quality, style, aesthetics, and long-term value to the modern crap you're looking at, and it will motivate you to RIDE.
Old 03-15-10, 09:12 PM
B+ roadie I guess?

Bikes: 2013 BMC GranFondo GF01 Ui2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I do not agree with grepdot, I will offer my opinion on the Allez, as I had an Allez before buying my Tarmac. The Allez is the aluminum version of the Tarmac, and has a more racing-oriented geometry, meaning you will find yourself leaning forward/downward moreso than the Secteur, the aluminum version of the Specialized Roubaix. I liked my Allez, and got used to the geometry fairly quickly. It is fast, light, and worked very nicely as a first road bike.

You might be able to find some good deals on CraigsList though for used, older, but higher end bikes. For example, I saw a 2009 Tarmac with 3K miles on it for $1500.

Good luck on your search.
Old 03-15-10, 09:37 PM
Fixed-gear roadie

Bikes: 2008 Masi Speciale Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grepdot
Forget about that crap. For that money and your purpose, you can get a fabulous classic Italian lugged steel bicycle with Campagnolo components. Those which were built right about the time you were born are among the best bargains in road bikes today. Do a little research on Italian racing bikes to glean the desireable makes, and start searching ebay. If you're not racing, such a bicycle is vastly superior in quality, style, aesthetics, and long-term value to the modern crap you're looking at, and it will motivate you to RIDE.
Is that you, Jobst Brandt?
Old 03-15-10, 10:04 PM
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
+1 get a second-hand bike with nicer kit... especially if you can wrench.
Old 03-15-10, 10:07 PM

Bikes: Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1.

I'd much rather have a fully restored '69 Mustang than a 2010 Camry, and bikes are no different.
Old 03-15-10, 10:13 PM
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
That wasn't really my sentiment; I don't subscribe to 'classic > plastic' at all.

IMO the road bike wasn't a complete design until dual control arrived. My point was that you can get a much nicer bike for the money. Freshen the drivetrain and maybe a new set of cables and whatever, and you're laughing.

...You could prolly get a really nice 7spd machine and throw old Ergos on it, and then you could spread the frame if it's steel and make it 8spd if you wanted. I reckon that'd be the best value, but it depends on whether you prefer to have quality or newer design features.

Last edited by Kimmo; 03-15-10 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-15-10, 10:44 PM
Fly on the wall

Bikes: a few

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey everyone,

Giant Defy 3.0
Devinci Silverstone

DM
Maybe with the OP's knowledge we should just point him towards a newer bike? I agree that classics are beautiful, but judging by the OPs comments it doesn't sound like he has the experience to easily restore a classic (I don't either for that matter...).

To actually answer the question...

sora controls look something like this

and you shift one direction by pushing the brake lever in, and the other with the thumb trigger. Its not the "standard" but it works just fine.

tiagra controls look something like this

As you can see the little thumb button has been moved under the brake lever. You still shift using both the paddle and the brake. The major advantage with these is it is a lot easier to shift from the drops (hands on the lower part of the handle bars).

Other than that I guess tiagra is a bit better than sora in terms of tech and durability, but the real advantages come when you upgrade to 105.
--> sorry if you already knew all that stuff... it was my long way about saying tiagra isn't really all that different from sora - apart from the controls.

From what I've heard/seen either tiagra or sora would work for you, but I'd go with the tiagra if you can swing it.

Also, I've heard good things about the Allez, but I've never ridden one.
Old 03-15-10, 10:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant Defy 3.0
Devinci Silverstone

Giant
Old 03-15-10, 10:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyS
+1.

I'd much rather have a fully restored '69 Mustang than a 2010 Camry, and bikes are no different.
I think he wants airbags.
Old 03-15-10, 11:00 PM

Bikes: Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the responses everyone and for the graphical tutorial on the component differences.

I am leaning toward buying my first bike new... I'm not a fan of paying the depreciation, but at least it will be fit to me for free, and from there I can figure out what does (and doesn't) work for me.

I'm kind of leaning toward the Allez... but it's hard to say until I get the opportunity to ride one. From what I understand, it can be a little twitchy (not necessarily bad) while the Defy tends to be a little smoother riding, albeit less responsive.

I had a KHS Flite 720 recommended... it's a little more than I was looking to spend, but it has (I think?) a mostly carbon frame, and 105. What sort of things do you riders really notice between sora/tiagra level and 105? How about the ride of CF versus Aluminum?

Thanks again!
Old 03-15-10, 11:04 PM
parsnips!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kindablue
Maybe with the OP's knowledge we should just point him towards a newer bike? I agree that classics are beautiful, but judging by the OPs comments it doesn't sound like he has the experience to easily restore a classic (I don't either for that matter...).
No one is suggesting that he begin "restoring classics". He wants a decent, ready-to-ride bike for 800-1200$. These are easy to find! You won't find them in the local bike store, you WILL find them on ebay. Let us not assume that the OP is an idiot!