Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

TDF 2010 stage 2 - Bruxelles - Spa 201 km, Mon. Jul 5

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

TDF 2010 stage 2 - Bruxelles - Spa 201 km, Mon. Jul 5

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-10, 09:58 AM
snob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OrionKhan
I don't really understand why the field decided to neutralize the stage. Crashes are part of it. Andy Schleck was not the overall leader. In fact he was trailing the other main GC contenders. Jeez, its a race after all. These things happen in races. A crash is hardly an unusual event. Not crashing and avoiding crashes is part of winning the race. Its funny when you compare it to this year's Giro. The Pink jersey changed over a couple of times as a result of crashes on stages with rain, cobbles, and other road conditions. None of these guys were complaining then.
I agree. I think it was very sporting of them to not ride away from Andy Schleck, but there was no reason not to sprint in the finish imo. That's why people watch, which in turn pays their salary...
Old 07-05-10, 10:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 40 Cent
Looks like the MJ -- not the field -- called for the slow pace, which is often at his discretion according to TdF etiquette, and the respect other riders have for Cancellara.
michael jackson decides the pace? haha, couldn't resist! i hope versus will provide some semi decent post race coverage today. cannot wait for the twitters to begin.

also, when the tdf started this year, i thought about what went down last year with vaughters and garmin that day riding to take george out of yellow. did anyone else wonder if there would be payback for that? looks like vdv and farrar may be out. maybe the tdf does have its own karma gods...
Old 07-05-10, 10:05 AM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by rogwilco
It's crazy, I can't remember when there was so little information available on such a crucial point in the Tour de France the last time.
Levi Leipheimer was talking about that in an interview, he said his directors didn't have TV so nobody could be clued in on what to do.
Old 07-05-10, 10:12 AM

Bikes: Gaulzetti Cazzo, Gaulzetti Corsa, Gaulzetti Ti, Gaulzetti SS prototype, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Ridley XFire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who cares about the neutralization of the stage for the GC standings.

It's the non-sprint at the end that hurts the likes of Thor who worked his tail off to be there for the sprint points.
Cav was a dead fish, he got gifted today.
Old 07-05-10, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
Levi Leipheimer was talking about that in an interview, he said his directors didn't have TV so nobody could be clued in on what to do.
This is the problem with race radios and in race tv to the cars and such. They seem to have forgotten how to race.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 07-05-10, 10:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justinb
Vande Velde +9:49. Done before he gets a chance?
He never really had a chance.

Originally Posted by 40 Cent
Looks like the MJ -- not the field -- called for the slow pace, which is often at his discretion according to TdF etiquette, and the respect other riders have for Cancellara.
Yeah, he wanted the Schlecks to catch up. Kinda weird that he didn't let the race continue after everyone was pretty much caught up.

Originally Posted by do-well
Seems the organizers of the major tours are putting more and more PR into both designing treacherous routes and unveiling said routes. A little game of who can push the envelope the most. I don't really understand having these stages that look like classics on a 3-week tour. Just asking for trouble, and ultimately getting it. Trying to get ratings/attention for parts of the race (individual stages) instead of the race in its entirety.

I don't blame the riders at all for neutralizing. Who is going to look out for them if not themselves? Clearly not the promoters.
Well, the race on its entirety gets the publicity. They are battling against people completely tuning out for stages that they don't think anything will happen on. The weather is the wild card. Take away the wet. Was it really that dangerous? Nobody can predict the weather months out. I think the mindset of the teams in the TdF is to controlling. Leipheimer was talking about no TV, directors not knowing where everyone was. Big deal. It is a bike race. They used the "rider safety" card to keep the radios. The organizers are just trying to mix it up a bit. The teams want it controlled. This TdF will again come down to mountain top finishes and the ITT. Why, because a stage like today could have had an impact, but they decided to neutralize it.

Originally Posted by leooooo

It's the non-sprint at the end that hurts the likes of Thor who worked his tail off to be there for the sprint points.
I was surprised they didn't sprint for 2nd. Tyler was out, but he never caught up. I don't see why the didn't go for the points when everyone was back together.
Old 07-05-10, 10:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was surprised they didn't sprint for 2nd. Tyler was out, but he never caught up. I don't see why the didn't go for the points when everyone was back together.
I think they didn't sprint because they were all back together. They were all going to get s.t., so they had to balance the benefit of racing for points versus the risks (more crashes).

After yesterday's three crashes in the final 3km as well as the dogs and today's major crash, I think the riders chose safety over points, especially considering it was a sprint for second and not first.

While we all want to see racing, there's huge sponsor pressure to keep the major names safe and in the race. I would call it the "survive to battle another day" mentality.

What's the best move the riders can make at this point? Come out and race their tails off tomorrow. While I can understand today's restraint, they are racers and are expected to race. They need to have a meeting among themselves and figure out how to keep everyone safe. Sure crashes are going to happen but, from my perspective, at least two of them - Farrar's and Cav's yesterday - could have been easily prevented with a little attention on the part of the racers. Have not seen today's video, so I'll refrain from comment on that one.
Old 07-05-10, 10:49 AM
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
Seems to me the Schlecks were already close to also rans prior to the crash. I kinda get waiting for them but really once they were caught up they should have resumed racing. Frankly I would have preferred that they had kept the pace up the whole time but I guess there wasn't a real GC contender around to dispute FC.

It would have been interesting to see AC and LA lose a minute or more under pressure to make it up.

Gifts to

The Schlecks
Cav
Chavenel
AC and LA.

Not what I expected.
I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 07-05-10, 10:55 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
He never really had a chance.

snip...
True, if we're talking about podium in Paris. It's just that of all the ways to lose time, crashing is the least satisfying from this fan's POV, and it's nice to have a few more players mixing it up when we get to the Alps.

Last edited by justinb; 07-05-10 at 10:56 AM. Reason: apostrophe catastrophe
Old 07-05-10, 11:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think they didn't sprint because they were all back together. They were all going to get s.t., so they had to balance the benefit of racing for points versus the risks (more crashes).

After yesterday's three crashes in the final 3km as well as the dogs and today's major crash, I think the riders chose safety over points, especially considering it was a sprint for second and not first.

While we all want to see racing, there's huge sponsor pressure to keep the major names safe and in the race. I would call it the "survive to battle another day" mentality.

What's the best move the riders can make at this point? Come out and race their tails off tomorrow. While I can understand today's restraint, they are racers and are expected to race. They need to have a meeting among themselves and figure out how to keep everyone safe. Sure crashes are going to happen but, from my perspective, at least two of them - Farrar's and Cav's yesterday - could have been easily prevented with a little attention on the part of the racers. Have not seen today's video, so I'll refrain from comment on that one.
This is the problem with the whole safety nanny mentality. You can't keep everyone safe. Its impossible. Its a race. Sure, you don't want anyone to get hurt or die. But its part of racing. A huge part of winning a grand tour is FINISHING a grand tour. Getting past crashes, injuries, illness, dogs, spectators (remember that woman's purse that hooked Armstrong's handlebars a few years back?), is a big part of the race. The teams are controlling it to the point that the race has come down to maybe 4 or 5 riders before it starts. Why, because of events that happened today.
Old 07-05-10, 11:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leooooo

Agreed.

I dont get it at all. This is a race and the biggest of the year, in fact. To completely nullify a complete stages sprint points diminishes the luster of the race. The early stages are supposed to be for the sprinters. I guess my anger then needs to be directed at FC as he was apparently in control of what happened.

A great ride for Chavanel. A lousy day for the TdF.
Old 07-05-10, 11:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SunSwingsLow
Agreed.

I dont get it at all. This is a race and the biggest of the year, in fact. To completely nullify a complete stages sprint points diminishes the luster of the race. The early stages are supposed to be for the sprinters. I guess my anger then needs to be directed at FC as he was apparently in control of what happened.

A great ride for Chavanel. A lousy day for the TdF.
I can see FC saving the Schlecks and his teams' hopes. I don't understand why he didn't want them to sprint at the end for point after those guys had caught up. I kinda wish Evans had said "F.... it" and attacked. Its not like he's a popular guy anyways. Or maybe Vino. That would have been great.
Old 07-05-10, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope they race the rest of the Tour.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 07-05-10, 11:25 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
When the rain hit, it shorted out the wires in Cancellera's hidden bike motor. He covered it up by slowing down the peloton.
Old 07-05-10, 11:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whos Robbie Hunter talking about punching in the face on twitter? Simonutr?

LOL

Last edited by SunSwingsLow; 07-05-10 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-05-10, 11:47 AM
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jesus, y'all before the finish FC met with race officials and they agreed to neutralize the sprinters points at the finish. No one was interested in a dangerous wet field sprint for 2nd place.

As for FC slowing things to allow the majority of the overall GC contenders to rejoin, it was the right thing to do considering the crashes, weather and the stupid course chosen by the organizers. FC has apparently taken over the patron position. Good on him!

Last edited by Laggard; 07-05-10 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-05-10, 11:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Laggard
Jesus, y'all FC met with race officials and they agreed to neutralize the sprinters points at the finish. No one was interested in a dangerous wet field sprint for 2nd place.

As for FC slowing things to allow the majority of the overall GC contenders to rejoin, it was the right thing to do considering the crashes, weather and the stupid course chosen by the organizers
Why neutralize the sprint points? It wasn't a wet field sprint at the end. Its not a stupid course. Dealing with the weather is part of a grand tour and bike racing in general. My god, they are professional bike racers. Seriously, how many bike races don't have a crash in them? These guys race week in, week out starting at the end of winter, beginning of spring. They race on many different roads in many different countries. It wasn't that bad of a day. FC slowed it up so Andy Schleck, his teammate and GC contender, could catch up. Not because it was dangerous.
Old 07-05-10, 11:59 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Laggard
Jesus, y'all before the finish FC met with race officials and they agreed to neutralize the sprinters points at the finish. No one was interested in a dangerous wet field sprint for 2nd place.

As for FC slowing things to allow the majority of the overall GC contenders to rejoin, it was the right thing to do considering the crashes, weather and the stupid course chosen by the organizers. FC has apparently taken over the patron position. Good on him!
I couldn't disagree more. The course wasn't stupid, it's been used for big bike races since the dawn of time. And some were interested in sprinting for the points. Hushovd is complaining that he has been deprived of an opportunity, and he's right. There was no reason to neutralize the finish, they could have sprinted for the line with no more risk than on any other day. The race officials have effectively colluded with Saxobank's desire to keep the Schlecks in the hunt. It was a disgrace.
Old 07-05-10, 12:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am jealous of the ability some of you show toward considering the racing outside the context of business.

It's kind of funny Orion. I feel like I agree with much of your perspective but also disagree with it at the same time.

I just think about it as the corporatization of sport. There's a quality of product that is trying to be protected and, given the build-up to and advertising of the product, Andy Schleck is a big part of this year's product. The racing itself is just a portion of the larger product. Granted, once the consumer feels there's shenanigans at work, there's a chance the producer loses consumer trust. But that's not the case here, because you are all going to tune right back in tomorrow. Thank god for online discussion boards - where you can vent all your anger. If any of you feel that it's that disgraceful write a letter to the promoters, take your money elsewhere, tune out, etc.
Old 07-05-10, 12:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the gentlemen rules is not attacking on an accident correct?

So i kindof of get what happend out on course. But not allowing these guys to sprint at the end was just silly. As has been stated these men are professionals. They have had sprints in the rain and in much more difficult finishing situations than today.

Perhaps yesterdays 1-2 punch of carnage weighed on the riders minds. On the other hand, its the f'ing TdF...its not supposed to be easy.
Old 07-05-10, 12:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VeloNews is reporting that Cervelo and Thor are not happy about the agreement to neutralize.

“I feel frustrated by what happened today. Our team was working hard and we would have had a good chance for victory. I feel like they have taken something away from us today,” Hushovd said. “Everyone made a gentleman’s agreement not to sprint, but I lost an important opportunity to try to win the stage and gain points.”

Shouldn't have made the agreement if you wanted to sprint. Sprint first and settle it all later. But complaining after the fact just seems like sour grapes.
Old 07-05-10, 12:19 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Horner seems to say that there was one spot in particular that everyone thought was unsafe (the descent where the big crash occured) even when it's dry, and that the roll in was "everyone's idea and no one's idea". Maybe it wasn't just a unilateral decision by Cancellara to keep his teammates in it.
Old 07-05-10, 12:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am jealous of the ability some of you show toward considering the racing outside the context of business.

It's kind of funny Orion. I feel like I agree with much of your perspective but also disagree with it at the same time.

I just think about it as the corporatization of sport. There's a quality of product that is trying to be protected and, given the build-up to and advertising of the product, Andy Schleck is a big part of this year's product. The racing itself is just a portion of the larger product. Granted, once the consumer feels there's shenanigans at work, there's a chance the producer loses consumer trust. But that's not the case here, because you are all going to tune right back in tomorrow. Thank god for online discussion boards - where you can vent all your anger. If any of you feel that it's that disgraceful write a letter to the promoters, take your money elsewhere, tune out, etc.
You make good points. I'll add....Many of us here are bike racing fans. Meaning we watch races all season long. Stream online when we can't watch them on tv, etc. Then there are the once a year TdF watchers. They will tune out if they don't think anything is going to happen. What happens to rating when LA isn't involved? I think the organizers are trying to make the race more exciting day in, day out. As opposed to the controlled tour we have now. Right now it all comes down to a few mountain top finishes and the ITT. Period. The organizers want more racing that will effect the GC on other stages. The organizers want to keep the one a year fans tuned in every day. The teams (sponsors) like it the way it is now. AS possibly falling out of contention this early would be a disaster for Saxobank. They're lucky FC had the yellow or they might have been sh*t out of luck. The TdF is what it is because of money. That goes for all professional sports.

I think FC got carried away there was no reason not to have the sprint finish today.
Old 07-05-10, 12:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The way Cancellara pointed at everyone at the finish seemed it was his choice.
Old 07-05-10, 12:33 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
VeloNews is reporting that Cervelo and Thor are not happy about the agreement to neutralize.
I hear Cervelo TT is changing bikes for tomorrow.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.