Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anybody knows this bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anybody knows this bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody knows this bike?

Hi!
I'm new here and I would like to ask a question.
Last week I obtained a road bike, it came from Austria, I'm not sure about its constructor and the type of the bike. The decals are moser, but I think its fake. In the frame is Mondial engraved. Its layout is Dura Ace and 600AX mixed.
If anybody knows anything about this constructor, I would thank if he could help me.
I'm mainly interested in how much its worth, and what can I do with it: renovate or build it new with a Campagnolo set.
Here are some pictures:

All cabels are hidden,and rear brake is in a very strange position.
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-08, 10:37 AM
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
It looks like a nice bike but I cant tell to much as the pics are to small and they take forever to load? I waitd a long while and the first picture never completed the load?
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 02-19-08, 11:03 AM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
There are 2 Mosers. F. Moser and Moser. they are different marques.
you should search for Moser on https://search.bikelist.org/ and limit your
search to list Classic Rendezvous.
It looks similiar to the Velato model here:
https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/moser/2.jpg

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 02-19-08, 11:08 AM
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked 1,106 Times in 821 Posts
Yes, they are very slow loading, but I was patient and can tell you: I've never seen one of these, before. It's obviously a very good frame (Columbus SL and well crafted) and it certainly is not an F.Moser (though it MIGHT be built or painted by the contractor that worked on Mosers). It is Italian and from the early '80s and early "aerodynamic" style. Though the components are a DA/600 ax mix, they are about the right vintage to be the original gruppo, and the rear brake definitely is. That under-rear-triangle mount didn't prove good on Mtn. bikes, but it's unique and so I strongly suggest you leave this bike intact with as much of this gruppo as possible. You couldn't replace that rear brake easily even if you wanted to. Mondial...somebody must know something about it.
Old 02-19-08, 11:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the answers.
Sorry for the poor and slow-loading pictures. I saw some real mosers before, and the engravement looked different on them. In the last week I was searching on the net, but I found no familiar bike. I think that the constructor may be Mondial. On of the pictures shows the fork and the M engravement could be specific. I have a friend who could re-paint it very well with airbrush. But it would be great to see a picture of its original state. I hope I found one.
Thanks again.
Old 02-19-08, 12:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here I give some smaller pic's
Kép 0060x.jpg

Kép 0061x.jpg

Kép 0064x.jpg

moser kicsi.jpg

If anybody saw similiar brake construction please write me: where did they used similiar brake positioning.
Old 02-19-08, 03:41 PM
Stop reading my posts!

I did a quick search of the CR archives and it seems to be a distinct shop based in Vicenza, and old.
Lou Deeter's guide says:*
*MONDIAL*: Italy. Cicli Mondial, Via Roma, 147 - 36028 ROSSANO VENETO
(VI) tel.
e fax (+39) 0424 540031. Since 1936.
One CR member, Kim Klakow in Berlin, has a number of these Mondials. He might be interested in these pics and might have some further info on the bike and the builder...if you want I can forward a link to him.
Old 02-20-08, 06:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I would be glad if you could forward this link to him.
Today I also found something about the brand. A bike is in the property of a german bike forum member:
https://www.rennrad-news.de/fotos/sho...00/ppuser/2580
I found an other track frame on ebay:
https://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Mondial-Track...QQcmdZViewItem
Now I know how the frame decals should look like.
If anybody knows something about this brand, I would be happy if he could give me some informations.
Thanks.
Old 02-20-08, 11:09 AM
Stop reading my posts!

I will email Kim and we'll see what he says. It's interesting that nearly all these seem to be either in Germany, or in your case, Austria...must have been a distributor located there. I read in the CR archives that there was a US importer that handled Mondials very briefly, but I've never seen one here.
Old 02-20-08, 11:27 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I can give no information, but I can express my admiration... That is a beautiful and distinctive bike!

Good luck on your restoration!

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-20-08, 02:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
I will email Kim and we'll see what he says. It's interesting that nearly all these seem to be either in Germany, or in your case, Austria...must have been a distributor located there. I read in the CR archives that there was a US importer that handled Mondials very briefly, but I've never seen one here.
Thanks everything. I'm waiting for his answers.
I don't live in Austria, I'm from Hungary, near the austrian border.
Old 02-20-08, 05:17 PM
Stop reading my posts!

right, I got that, but you say the bike was from Austria...anyway, here's what Kim wrote me:
"this certainly is a Mondial, although I think someone trimmed it for internal routing.
Can you get some pictures of the underside BB, left side steerer and shift lever
routing?
I have two red ones like this (7 in all) and have never seen an aero-style frame.
Best and thx,
kim"
And I will mention that it seems to have early Simplex Retrofriction shift levers, which makes it even weirder with all the Shimano stuff. This may have been a bare frame that was built up to a customer's specs, or a custom order.
Old 02-22-08, 06:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm very grateful for your efforts. I think that the internal routing is original, but in the weekend i will have more time, and I will make some more pictures of the parts Kim asked for, and I will put them up here soon. Thanks.
Old 02-22-08, 09:22 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Traveler, Chimo Concourse, Next mountain bike, all crap!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
I can give no information, but I can express my admiration... That is a beautiful and distinctive bike!

Good luck on your restoration!
Ditto. I don't know anything about that bike but I really like it. Awesome find!
Old 02-23-08, 08:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've managed to make some better quality pictures. I can show the demanded parts with them too.
The bottom bracket is 70mm italian, and the seat post is 27 mm.
Here are the pics
DSCF1271.JPG

DSCF1272.JPG

DSCF1273.JPG

DSCF1274.JPG

DSCF1275.JPG

DSCF1276.JPG

DSCF1277.JPG

DSCF1278.JPG

DSCF1279.JPG

DSCF1280.JPG
Old 02-23-08, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Wow. I don't have any information for you, but that is one beautiful bike. The details for the internal cabling are outstanding. Enjoy it!
Old 02-23-08, 12:32 PM
Stop reading my posts!

Great pics, these really show the crucial details and I'll inform Kim that they are up and we'll see if he has any further comments. In the meantime, I'll offer some opinions: it's really a unique frame any you should consider keeping it all together for "historical" purposes. But, if you want to make it a daily rider I think you'll find that those AX pedals are going to be a weak point, the single big 1" pedal bearing did not hold up well in actual use. That, and the under-BB rear brake which exposes the brake caliper to maximum dirt and water, tend to make this bike more of a "fair weather" showpiece, IMHO. But it IS quite a showpiece...the finish seems to be "cromovelato" (I'm sure I misspelled that) which is transparent lacquer over a full-chrome plated frame...the rear QR is a Rino, are both the hubs Rino?
Old 02-23-08, 02:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Elbandi,

my name is Kim, and I am being quoted as the expert here.
The brake and shift cable routing still looks like a home job to me. What makes me uncertain to call this a fact is the very nice work on the rear cable mount.
BTW, be sure to exchange the current rear brake you have for another AX front brake. Ax brakes have the brake pads inserted from one side, the other side working as a stopper. They are "secured" by a small screw. In your care the read brake was simply re-installed, the brake opening pointing down. This means: you brake too hard, the pads shoot out and you slam into what you didn' t want to slam into in the first place.
This brings me to another point: The rear brake stay looks as if it is not drilled. Is that correct? Is so, it looks more and more to be a factory job. Neat!
It would be the first Mondial I would see to have these options.
Old 02-23-08, 02:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reactions and answers. I will check The brake thing you mentioned tomorrow, because here's too late now.
Kim, if you have som pics from your Mondials, I would be happy if I could take a look at them.
Both hubs are Rino with Fir rims.
Thanks again.
Old 02-24-08, 03:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now I had a look at the rear brake, what you mentioned yesterday. You are right, you have good eyes.
The rear brake is installed in a bad direction, thats really dangerous, I think. The rear brake stay is not drilled. This look original to mee. Just like the cabling of rear brake. The shifter cabling is really not so nice.
Do you recognize the engravement on the fork and the frame? Is it really this constructor: cicli mondial?
I've only asking this thing, because a hungarian forum member said,that this brand existed in Austria too. (I'm not really thinking its true) Is it possible? Thats why I would like too see your bikes.
Thanks
Old 02-25-08, 05:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Mondials

I have found that there are two kinds of older "decals" for Mondials. For one there are waterslide decals with a 3-D look to them for the chromovellato frames; the other kind, reserved for regular paint jobs, is sprayed on with a stencil. All of the frames I have have the "M" on the fork crown.
check out this link for two of them.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/1125484...7601368216113/
Old 02-25-08, 06:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akimbo71
I have found that there are two kinds of older "decals" for Mondials. For one there are waterslide decals with a 3-D look to them for the chromovellato frames; the other kind, reserved for regular paint jobs, is sprayed on with a stencil. All of the frames I have have the "M" on the fork crown.
check out this link for two of them.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/1125484...7601368216113/
Thanks, but your link is not working: "This page is private." ?
Old 02-25-08, 06:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it should work now.
Old 02-25-08, 07:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. Absolutely brilliant! Your bikes are fantastic! Now I see, that the engravements are
exactly the same on both your and my bikes, so they are the same brand. I'm very happy, that my bike is really a work of an italian factory. But now I dont know what to do. Before I saw your bikes I wanted to build my bike new with a campagnolo 10 speed set. But now I'm not sure. Your bikes look beatiful in original, classic style. Maybe I should build a similiar, old-styled bike. My bike is not cromovelato, but painted with metallic red. I still have to think this thing through. By the way thanks for the pics.
Later if you have some pictures from your painted frame decals, I would also look them.
Thanks again.

Last edited by elbandi2; 02-25-08 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-24-08, 04:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Kim,
So today i picked up this beautiful italian made bike that says its made by Cicli Mondial. Its amazing condition 4 speed, orange paint. Its about 60 cm with 27 x 1 3/4 tires. Like the one posted earlier it has the italian flag on the post and i am going to post some pictures of it soon. Can you tell me anything about this bike? or bike company? im very intested and absolutely going crazy over this italian stallion!
thanks