Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Golden Boy

Old 09-07-10, 11:08 AM

Bikes: Raleigh "All Gold Edition," Torpedo Werke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Golden Boy

I'm the owner of a 1972 Raleigh "All Gold Edition." I purchased it in less that great condition, and, not knowing what it is, treated it like any other bicycle. I rode it hard and tough, leading to a few more scratches and dents than was the case when I purchased it from a 106 year old bike shop basement. Curiosity and the popularity explosion that Raleigh bicycles experienced here in the Queen City led me to explore the bike that stood alone. In all the classic Raleighs I had seen, none were gold. I took it a step further to find that my serial number didn't fit with the "standard" serial number configurations I could find. Any tips for restoration or direction to shops or parts stores would be a huge help. I'd also be happy to post some photos of the bike, though they'd be less than impressive and would be a bit shameful on my part. It's a beautiful bike which I'm proud of riding and would like to make it a bike anyone would be jealous of seeing.

Bradley
Old 09-07-10, 11:14 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
Hi Bradley, welcome to bikeforums. go ahead and give her a quick wipe down and post some pics. we all love looking at great unique bikes. peruse some of the other forums to get an idea of what ppics to post. things like a general side view (drive side) closeup of components, and luggs.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-07-10, 12:17 PM

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Poprad, 1983 Vitus, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1983 Fuji Del Rey, 1974 Fuji S-10, 1956 Triumph, 1971 Raleigh DL-1, 1964 Phillips, 1982 Motobecane Supermirage, 1962 Raleigh Superb, 1958 Robin Hood, 1966(?) Raleigh Sprite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Bradley - let me too welcome you to Bike Forum's.

I wouldn't be too concerned about posting pictures of your bike here. The worst that could happen is you may get a couple suggestions for what you could do to spruce her up appropriately.

A number of times I've carted vintage bikes off to well respected bikes stores in the Boston area for information about them and learned very little, only to then place them here and be provided a lot of good information. Save yourself some runaround, post pics of the bike and any questions here, and I'm pretty sure you'll learn a thing or two about it.
Old 09-07-10, 12:53 PM
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Wha? Huh?

Oh, hey!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-07-10, 04:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the encouragement! Here are some photos. Everything's original on it except the tires and the crank, but after seeing some other photos of Golds, I can see I'm missing a thing or two. Most notably, the rear rack which looks very sharp on a well polished golden bike. I'll keep pressing on in my search for replacement parts, though, and, perhaps, a second Gold. I have ambitious winter plans to pull the whole bike apart and clean it piece by piece, replace what's necessary and bring out a brand spanking "new" bicycle next spring. Anyway, Here are the photos!

P.S. I haven't been able to discern everyone's distaste for twist grips. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 09-07-10, 04:59 PM
missing in action

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 28 Posts
Wow, that example actually looks pretty nice, great find! In my experience with the twist shifters, they're a bit more prone to shift into the "dead zone" between 2nd and 3rd, which can be a bit dangerous. The trigger shifters don't do that as easily.
Old 09-07-10, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Sheldon Brown said they don't work well. That's enough to make a lot of us shun them.
Old 09-07-10, 05:21 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
Wow, that example actually looks pretty nice, great find! In my experience with the twist shifters, they're a bit more prone to shift into the "dead zone" between 2nd and 3rd, which can be a bit dangerous. The trigger shifters don't do that as easily.
Mostly so if the rider twists the grip lackadaisically, or fiddles with it while riding. If people treated the Sturmey triggers like that, they'd get the same results; the trigger is simply designed in such a way that folks who like to fidget are less likely to fool with it.

That said, I've used both a used and an NOS example of these. I shifted with purpose, and didn't treat the control like a toy. No problems.

Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Sheldon Brown said they don't work well. That's enough to make a lot of us shun them.
Sheldon would often make a stink over non-issues.

-Kurt

Old 09-07-10, 07:37 PM
missing in action

Maybe, but the distance between 2nd and 3rd is much larger than between 1st and 2nd, it's very easy to find neutral. On the other hand, it doubles as a theft prevention device: leave the bike in neutral in front of the Kwikie mart and watch the fun!
Old 09-07-10, 07:40 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
Maybe, but the distance between 2nd and 3rd is much larger than between 1st and 2nd, it's very easy to find neutral. On the other hand, it doubles as a theft prevention device: leave the bike in neutral in front of the Kwikie mart and watch the fun!
I find it quite difficult to get the twist-shifters to stay between the detents at any rate. More fun to use a fixed gear with a V-brake set so tight up front as to fling someone over the bars.

-Kurt

Old 09-07-10, 08:32 PM
missing in action

That makes sense, I think the ones I've had experience with were in bad shape despite overhauling them. Speaking of which, there's an advantage they have over trigger shifters, you can disassemble them!
Old 09-08-10, 09:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. I'd have to say, then, that I'm in the shifting with purpose category. I have experienced a couple of slips in the past, but it hasn't been a problem since a few adjustments were made. Any suggestions as to where I could find golden parts?
Old 09-09-10, 11:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and who is Sheldon Brown besides a poor web designer, and why does everyone seem so eager to get his rocks off?
Old 09-09-10, 12:00 PM
Oscillation overthruster

Bikes: Cinelli Mash / CAAD9 5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by btreusdell
Oh, and who is Sheldon Brown besides a poor web designer, and why does everyone seem so eager to get his rocks off?
Hold that thought while I go make some popcorn.
Old 09-09-10, 12:10 PM
Curmudgeon in Training

Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
/ducks.

I would venture a guess that the sheldonbrown site has helped more (in this era) beginners in wrenching than any other resource.
Old 09-09-10, 12:16 PM
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
He taught me how to build wheels...after he had died. Good enough for me.

WRT your web design comment...I'd rather navigate sheldonbrown.com and actually find information quickly rather than worry about what effing version of Flash I have installed in my browser.

You have a lot to learn Mr. 9 Posts.
Old 09-11-10, 02:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good point and well taken.
Old 09-11-10, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
<in my best curmudgeonly tone>

Meh! I'm not impressed. It's heavy as lead, has only three speeds and has an inefficient riding position. Oh!, it has gold paint. Whoop-dee-doo! Anyone who goes to the hardware store can have a "Golden Boy" bike, too, ... if you like that sort of thing.

<curmedgeon has left the building and dons his flame suit>
Old 09-11-10, 03:40 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

That gentleman made cycling repair simple to anyone who did a Google search.

While you're sitting in front of your Macromedia Flash Blingpage downloading Adobe Bloatcrobat .PDF files, I'll be wrenching with the information I already found and printed from Sheldon's site.

-Kurt

Old 09-11-10, 05:48 PM
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The name of this thread keeps reminding of a song by The Tubes.