Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Hot or Not

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Hot or Not

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-13, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Whole lotta political blah blah blah going on...thankfully I'm Canadian which means I'm awesome.

And so is this Italian-made steed:

This is my regular fair-weather commuter and sees as many commuting miles as any other bike in my stable. It's also more of Sixty-Fiver's handiwork. If anyone gives this a "Not", I will reach through your computer monitor and rip out your esophagus.
Old 08-20-13, 11:11 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Re Acidfast7
i do like the fact that all assembly takes place in Germany after the frame is made in Taiwan.
Koga Does that too, some EU Bike companies Paint TW China Frames so as to have more Local Content.
Old 08-20-13, 11:27 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Re Acidfast7

Koga Does that too, some EU Bike companies Paint TW China Frames so as to have more Local Content.
in certain German circles, KM is still seen as the #1 bike maker, for obvious reasons.

edit: reasons being a very competent finally assembly with a very nice set of production controls.

Last edited by acidfast7; 08-20-13 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-20-13, 11:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by groovestew
Whole lotta political blah blah blah going on...thankfully I'm Canadian which means I'm awesome.

This is my regular fair-weather commuter and sees as many commuting miles as any other bike in my stable. It's also more of Sixty-Fiver's handiwork. If anyone gives this a "Not", I will reach through your computer monitor and rip out your esophagus.
it's definitely interesting with legacy. if I see another Surly/Salsa/Kona, I'll vomit.
Old 08-20-13, 11:54 AM

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Some day soon I will own a Bianchi in Celeste .... so this is a Hot for me
Old 08-20-13, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

I see a smudge on the drive side seat stay.
Old 08-20-13, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by ill.clyde
Some day soon I will own a Bianchi in Celeste .... so this is a Hot for me
Came very close to buying one for my wife last year but it was a little too big for me... I mean her.
Old 08-20-13, 12:01 PM

I'm glad to see this thread is getting back on track. I shall do my best to keep it that way. Here's a new submission although I have to confess that it is not my bike. I just saw it at lunch today.

The helmet is a nice touch.
Old 08-20-13, 12:01 PM

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
@tjspiel .... LOL

I've lusted for a Celeste Bianchi since I was a kid (not joking) .... it's definitely a grail bike for me

There's a red one on the local CL lately ... but it's red ... so that's a no go
Old 08-20-13, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by ill.clyde
I've lusted for a Celeste Bianchi since I was a kid (not joking) .... it's definitely a grail bike for me
Sometimes, I still can't believe Sixty sold it to me. I won't be putting mine up for sale anytime soon.
Old 08-20-13, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by tjspiel
I see a smudge on the drive side seat stay.
Yeah, see, I don't know if a guy like me really deserves a bike like this. I'm brutal at maintaining my own bikes, and worse at keeping them clean. Once a year or so, when I bring the bike back to Sixty for maintenance, it gets a good cleaning too. This pic must've been partway between oil changes.
Old 08-20-13, 12:28 PM

I'm glad to see this thread is getting back on track. I shall do my best to keep it that way. Here's a new submission although I have to confess that it is not my bike. I just saw it at lunch today.

Oh, to be so blissfully indifferent to people's opinion of me.
Old 08-20-13, 12:29 PM

Yeah, see, I don't know if a guy like me really deserves a bike like this. I'm brutal at maintaining my own bikes, and worse at keeping them clean. Once a year or so, when I bring the bike back to Sixty for maintenance, it gets a good cleaning too. This pic must've been partway between oil changes.
You're right. You don't deserve it. Send it to me and you will sleep better at night. You have my address. I promise not to put animal heads on it.
Old 08-20-13, 12:29 PM
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

The Italian Trek? That is a not..

Last edited by Germany_chris; 08-20-13 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-20-13, 12:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
The Italian trek that is a not..
I do find it hilarious when people go gaga over a Bianchi. It's like when people discover Aperol Spritz for the first time.

An NSU Fahrrad I can understand, a Bianchi not so much. Maybe it's the same people who buy "Italian" shoes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nsu+...w=1280&bih=622
Old 08-20-13, 12:39 PM

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I cannot think of anything that is "better" in America than here.
1. Beer.
2. Food.
3. Music.

PS: Most of the world finds the use of "America" as a term for the United States to be demeaning.

Last edited by spare_wheel; 08-20-13 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-20-13, 12:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by spare_wheel
1. Beer.
2. Food.
3. Music.

PS: Most of the world finds the use of "America" as a term for the United States to be demeaning.
beer ... those are fighting words ... anyone who drinks "coffee" flavoured beer should be shot on sight.

food is debatable ... German cuisine is great but very limited

i agree with music but Scorpions are quite good, no?

most of the world uses "the states" most, "America" quite a bit (especially in the context of American) and no one (in English at least) says United States. in other languages most spell "U", "S" and "A"
Old 08-20-13, 01:01 PM
I’m a little Surly

1. Beer.
2. Food.
3. Music.

1. Beer..there are some miro-brews in the States that are really awesome but generally no.
2. Food..meh in traditional dishes it's a toss-up, in what people actually eat it goes to Germany, and German baking is better than 99% of the world
3. Music..I listen to punk so yea that goes tips to the USA..

Now I've had limited experience in central America and none in South America other that dating an Argentine 20 years ago but if were are going to encompass all the Americas it changes the food, not the beer, and not the music.
Old 08-20-13, 01:29 PM

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Definitely hot!

Glad to see the thread back on track too.
Old 08-20-13, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Medic Zero
Definitely hot!

Glad to see the thread back on track too.

I do what I can.
Old 08-20-13, 02:28 PM

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
beer ... those are fighting words ... anyone who drinks "coffee" flavoured beer should be shot on sight.

food is debatable ... German cuisine is great but very limited

i agree with music but Scorpions are quite good, no?
1. When I travel in Germany (or the UK) the thing I miss the most is the diversity of beer that is common in the PNW. Even dive bars in PDX often have a dozen beers on tap. Moreover, there are entire categories of ale that are simply not to be found in Europe (unless imported). When it comes to beer innovation and variety there is no place in the world that is the equal of the PNW.

https://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps...4206542969&z=6

2. While I agree that USAnian fast food sucks, the USA is nation of large cities with some of the best food in the world. IMO, the best examples of syncretism in Europe pale in comparison to the way USAnians have adopted and adapted chinese, mexican, salvadorian, japanese, korean, thai, lebanese, vietnamese, cuban, etc. And then there are the great regional cuisines of the USA (e.g new mexican, tex-mex, creole, deep south, SF chinese, north east italian, "kali"fornian etc). Try telling the average euro that the burrito is a purely USAnian food...

A specific example:
When I have lived or travelled in Europe for a period, the very first thing I do when I return to the USA is pig out on Thai. There are 5 Thai restaurants within a 10 minute walk of my home that are far better than any I've been to in Europe. There are dozens of Thai restaurants within walking distance of my home.

Last edited by spare_wheel; 08-20-13 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-20-13, 02:44 PM
I’m a little Surly

1. When I travel in Germany (or the UK) the thing I miss the most is the diversity of beer that is common in the PNW. Even dive bars in PDX often have a dozen beers on tap. Moreover, there are entire categories of ale that are simply not to be found in Europe (unless imported). When it comes to beer innovation and variety there is no place in the world that is the equal of the PNW.

2. While I agree that USAnian fast food sucks, the USA is nation of large cities with some of the best food in the world. IMO, the best examples of syncretism in Europe pale in comparison to the way USAnians have adopted and adapted chinese, mexican, salvadorian, japanese, korean, thai, lebanese, vietnamese, cuban, etc. And then there are the great regional cuisines of the USA (e.g new mexican, tex-mex, creole, deep south, SF chinese, north east italian, "kali"fornian etc). Try telling the average euro that the burrito is a purely USAnian food...

A specific example:
When I have lived or travelled in Europe for a period, the very first thing I do when I return to the USA is pig out on Thai. There are 5 Thai restaurants within a 10 minute walk of my home that are far better than any I've been to in Europe. There are dozens of Thai restaurants within walking distance of my home.
So you are going to open it up, then I'll say food here is better. No I cannot get as good Mexican food here that would be the end. Asian food here is better not by a little bit, the African foods here are better not by just a little bit, and that doesn't eve speak of central Asia and the former Soviet satellites.

Beers in the states are variations on beers here on the continent. If there is a beer style your feel your missing when you come here then you're not looking hard enough. In one respect you are correct Germans tend to drink local, very local and it seems to span the generations. If I bring a Winkler Bräu home to Frankonia I'll be the only one who drinks it.
Old 08-20-13, 03:06 PM
Banned

A specific example:
quick thoughts:

i am not interested in different beer. i don't want diversity, i want high quality.

i feel the same way about food. it's great that you have 5 thai places within walking distance. if it's not street food quality made correctly, i'm not interested.

i'd sacrifice convenience every day of the week and twice on sunday for high-quality results.

example: i don't drink wheat beer outside of Bavaria, why, because it usually sucks. even in Frankfurt it's piss poor and that's only a few 100km away. in America, you guys still drink Blue Moon and pay for it

this is what makes me that saddest about america

it was so great at so many things and now it's just mediocre at a huge battery of things ... whatever happened to sticking with your core competencies. the space race! the big3 in Detroit! the best universities on the planet! it just makes me sad (and most of the rest of the world).

Last edited by acidfast7; 08-20-13 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-20-13, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by acidfast7
this is what makes me that saddest about america

it was so great at so many things and now it's just mediocre at a huge battery of things ... whatever happened to sticking with your core competencies. the space race! the big3 in Detroit! the best universities on the planet! it just makes me sad (and most of the rest of the world).
We still have the hottest bikes:

Old 08-20-13, 03:27 PM
Banned

We still have the hottest bikes:

seriously, that thing is working way too hard to be cool

just be cool ... don't work so hard.

and grab some break at the nice, albeit slightly commercial/trendy, bakery next to my CPH flat.

cool is a state of mind, not a successful attempt at "coolness"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CPH.jpg (57.1 KB, 209 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.