Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Stage 16: Le Bourg-d'Oisans - La Toussuire

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Stage 16: Le Bourg-d'Oisans - La Toussuire

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-06, 05:30 PM
Zen Cyclist

Bikes: Orbea Orca Campified...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think everyone has been spoiled by Lance's all too consistent performances (and a team strong and solid enough to back him up).

Will this and future TDFs give us a better appreciation of past champions?
Old 07-19-06, 05:43 PM
Senior Member (Retired)

Bikes: Vittorio, Centaur triple; Casati Laser Piu, Chorus Triple.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jslopez
I think everyone has been spoiled by Lance's all too consistent performances (and a team strong and solid enough to back him up).
Well said.

Will this and future TDFs give us a better appreciation of past champions?
And real racing too, perhaps?
Old 07-19-06, 06:01 PM

Bikes: Serotta Nove

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hated to see Floyd crack like that. I had the same thing happen to me on a ride. I am a wimp however and had to stop every 300' on the final climb. What was weird is I recall not breathing hard, but the legs would not turn over the pedals. I was hoping to get a diagnosis on Floyd so I could find out what happened to me.

I wish Floyd only lost 2 to 3 minutes to make this an even better race. Man anyone disappointed in this race just doesn't appreciate good racing.

Do you think Pereiro believes in fate? Wow!!!

Richard
Old 07-19-06, 06:14 PM
Zen Cyclist

Bikes: Orbea Orca Campified...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by reef58
I hated to see Floyd crack like that. I had the same thing happen to me on a ride. I am a wimp however and had to stop every 300' on the final climb. What was weird is I recall not breathing hard, but the legs would not turn over the pedals. I was hoping to get a diagnosis on Floyd so I could find out what happened to me.

That's the thing I loved about today's stage, I could totally relate. this year has been my first year of real training (second year on the road bike) and while I've seen some improvement it's the cracking/bonking/overtraining and overall suffering that makes it all... FUN.

A friend of mine has a cool cycling signature "Cyclists are united by their suffering".

If Floyd manages to bounce back then it's even more like our everyday ups and downs eh?
Old 07-19-06, 06:23 PM
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
****! I'm at my friends house right now. He doesn't have cable.

I was watching the local news, and the sportcaster said "Up next! Lance, we need your help. Landis cracks down."

I yelled "F U * *"!!!! At the top of my lungs. My friends looked at me as if I was crazy. Then I went here and saw what happened.
Old 07-19-06, 06:35 PM
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
Cycling news takes the best pics.
Fixed that for ya:
Old 07-19-06, 06:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm interested to hear the take from Floyd's coach on the OLN prime time airing. This should be interesting. They're just sitting around talking about how good Floyd looks. Boy, they just didn't.
Old 07-19-06, 06:45 PM
In Transition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EURO

Wow, I’m into men. Do you have a webcam? Maybe we could masturbate together?

I have new respect for your candor.

https://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/PAFA.html
Old 07-19-06, 06:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ahahaha, you bunch of sad sacks in here.
Best TDF ever.

GO CADEL
Old 07-19-06, 07:19 PM
Industry Maven

Bikes: Thylacines...only Thylacines.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone else fall asleep when Landis opens his mouth? Is there a specific school where American cyclists go to to have any vestage of personality surgically removed?

"I don't regret anything I regret how it went but I don't regret the way it went because I couldn't change anything sometimes you have a bad day today was a bad day but that's the way things go sometimes sometimes you have a bad bay on the wrong day and today was the wrong day..."

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ps: GO CADEL! CADEL FOR PM!
Old 07-19-06, 07:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless Pereiro loses a minute to the other GC contenders tomorrow, it could be all over. Pereiro is not a bad time trialist, so Sastre, Kloden, or Evans will not be able to overcome a big deficit.
Old 07-19-06, 07:34 PM

Bikes: Orbea Diva, Santa Cruz Blur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Thylacine]Does anyone else fall asleep when Landis opens his mouth? Is there a specific school where American cyclists go to to have any vestage of personality surgically removed?

Are you kidding me? Landis, no personality?? SERIOUSLY???
Today I'm sure he was just drained and disgusted and really not in the mood to have to rehash his total disintigration, losing the yellow jersey when he could have had the race in the bag. If you want to read something that shows Floyd's real personality, check out Dave Z's "Interview" of Floyd in Bicycling Magazine. Hilarious---the guy is somewhat insane. And Zabriskie apparently missed the surgical procedure too. He's even more bizarre than Floyd. Love those guys.

Oh, and

KLODI KLODI KLODI! That's my BOY!
Old 07-19-06, 08:22 PM

Bikes: Trek 5.2, Rocky mountain Hammer, K2 Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its a bummer to watch anyone impload like that. Reminds me of Chickenman's cave in at the last ITT in 2005. It was just hard to watch and more so knowing how hard these guys prepare, and how much focus they put on this event above all others.

I thought the interview Landis did today was really courageous (maybe that term is to strong, but if you caved like that could you face a wall of reporters?). Plenty of guys would have simply not talked to the press. Landis proves he is a class act and that sport is unpredictable no matter how much we want to think it is going to go "as planned"

I agree with all the other comments about the excitement of this tour. I liked the last 7 years, it was fun to watch a team prepare and dominate consistently. But this is a great departure, and brings an entirley new level of interest to the sport. We really dont knwo what will happen next- and that is a cool.
Old 07-19-06, 08:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm watching the prime time coverage of today's stage again. Boy, watching Floyd crack is almost funny. "Cracked" doesn't even do it justice. He went Humpty Dumpty. Just fell apart as everybody rode away. Can't remember a stage where the yellow jersey just fell apart like that...
Old 07-19-06, 08:36 PM
Isaiah 40:31

Bikes: 2009 Trek Madone WSD, 2005 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel SE, 2007 Fuji Absolute SX flat-bar roadie, 2005 Dahon Boardwalk 7 folder, 2009 GT Avalanche MTB, 1996 Trek 920 (beater bike) and last but certainly not least 1974 Schwinn Paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OrionKhan
I'm watching the prime time coverage of today's stage again. Boy, watching Floyd crack is almost funny. "Cracked" doesn't even do it justice. He went Humpty Dumpty. Just fell apart as everybody rode away. Can't remember a stage where the yellow jersey just fell apart like that...
I certainly wouldn't call it funny. It was quite painful to watch.

Poor dude...
"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood." - Susan B. Anthony 1896
Old 07-19-06, 09:38 PM
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I don't know a single racer who thought that was funny.

DrPete
Old 07-19-06, 10:24 PM

Bikes: 1999 Seven Sola, 2004 Bianchi Axis, 2005 Trek Madone 5.2 SL, 2006 Merlin Works CR 3/2.5, 2009 Kona Ute, Spot Acme, 2017 Raleigh Roker Comp, 2016 Specialized Camber Expert 29

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rasmussen interview from Cyclingnews.com.

Q: Very often, when riders win a stage like this, you see them doing special moves or showing pictures of their family. We didn't see you doing that. How important was your family today?

MR: After the rest day, I said to my wife that I would win on Alpe d’Huez for her and our baby. I was very disappointed how things unfolded during yesterday’s stage. Today I had to prove a lot for myself and my wife.
See, not everyone has to follow the Charles Atlas program to get the girl. Hopefully, he's married to a runway model so his children will inherit the same sexy build as their dad.
Old 07-19-06, 10:36 PM
barnfullagts

Bikes: GT BI Ti/BI Steel - Edge Ti and Steel Xizang Ti and Psyclone Steel

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
Some serious magic needs to happen tomorrow... That's not a TT-able gap.

DrPete
Guys, Guys, Guys....it's a 57km TT not a prologue. ~35.2 miles. While not likely but very possible with the right starting position a rider could blow apart the field by 2-3 minutes. One mountain stage to go also. While most of you are righting off Floyd, Levi and thinking it's going to be Kloden, Evans or someone else there is still a lot that could happen. Whom among you were predicting todays finsih 48 hours ago?
I think tomorrows stage will go down as one of the most active in tour history in terms of attempted breaks because the lead has changed so many times and none of the teams has been able to isolate the winners/teams in any of the mountain stages thus far. Why will it change tomorrow? It won't.
Old 07-19-06, 10:37 PM
barnfullagts

Bikes: GT BI Ti/BI Steel - Edge Ti and Steel Xizang Ti and Psyclone Steel

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OrionKhan
Jan Ullrich 1998
Old 07-20-06, 12:24 AM
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kunsei83
Unless Pereiro loses a minute to the other GC contenders tomorrow, it could be all over. Pereiro is not a bad time trialist, so Sastre, Kloden, or Evans will not be able to overcome a big deficit.
I hadn't thought about it that way but you're definitely right. In the last TT Kloden was only 57 seconds faster, Cadel was :51, and Sastre was :30.

Those guys are going to need to put some time into him on the last mountain stage. Should make for an exciting day!
Old 07-20-06, 12:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
I don't know a single racer who thought that was funny.

DrPete
Just because its an American doesn't mean its tragic. It is just a bicycle race after all. Good grief. Floyd will survive. Here's the guy that all of American media is hyping as the guy who's in control of the TdF. Great story about him overcoming the hip problem. Blah, blah. Everything is going his way. Then he blows up. And blows up bad. He didn't get dropped. He fell apart. Had nothing left. At one point, he looked like he wished he was sitting next to Tom Boonen in a pub having a beer. What's really funny is to watch the OLN prime time coverage knowing what's going to happen and listening to them spend 2 hours pumping up Floyd. Then its like, uh oh!

There was quite a bit of sport made of Rasmussen on these forums last year when he fell apart during the TT. But when Floyd explodes, its not funny all. Its sad. Gimme a break. Floyd had a great run. He just had probably the worst day in his cycling career at the worst possible time. Nothing more, nothing less. If you can't find a little humor and irony in the situation, then you might be wound a little to tight...

And it making for one of the most memorable tours...

Oh, and in 1998, I think Jan was more or less dropped. I don't think he had a total collapse of this magnitude. They didn't need to even attack. Floyd just fell apart. If he could have just kept up a decent pace he wouldn't have lost so much time (8 plus minutes). For minute, I thought Robbie McEwen was going to catch up and pass him...
Old 07-20-06, 01:51 AM
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Congratulations Rasmussen on the stage win.

You rode your heart out today! It was an inspiring win. You are the King of the Mountain.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...06/tour0616/83

Last edited by georgiaboy; 07-20-06 at 03:45 AM.
Old 07-20-06, 02:49 AM

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hornbiker
[. If you want to read something that shows Floyd's real personality, check out Dave Z's "Interview" of Floyd in Bicycling Magazine. Hilarious---the guy is somewhat insane. And Zabriskie apparently missed the surgical procedure too. He's even more bizarre than Floyd. Love those guys.
Everytime I see Zabriske interviewed I keep thinking he is autistic or something.
Old 07-20-06, 03:53 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HoosierBiker
Whatever happened today to Floyd (hip, bonk, ?) was not the result of bad tactics. Having teammates might have helped, but he would have lost major time regardless.
According to Cris Charmichael, he bonked due to not having any teammates to shuttle food etc. to him...and while the team car was behind him on the last climb, they could only sit there and watch...

He wrote a pretty good article about how, when the pace goes up and a team cannot keep up, you are cutting the supply lines for that lead rider...

He looked a lot like Cadel Evans a couple of years ago at the Giro, when we was leading and he didn't eat or drink and just shut down.

Floyd needs about six more Axels...
Old 07-20-06, 04:35 AM

Bikes: how long have you got?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...c'mon, look on the bright side fella's....Now that Boonen's gone home, there'll be room on the back seat of the sprinters 'auto bus' for Floyd....if he can keep up! ...Go Cadel & the dodger!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.