Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

GPSs: How accurate?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

GPSs: How accurate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-04, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by khuon
I've been meaning to create my own cache. This area is fairly rich in caches and everytime I see a spot I think would make for a good cache, I look on my GPS (I store a lot of cache locations using EasyGPS) and there's already a cache nearby. There's some woods behind my house which I do a lot of MTBing in so I was thinking of locating a cache there. The problem is that it's very dense coverage and the minute you enter it, you get total loss of signal. Maybe I'll try and locate it at the very border.

Hmm, my area has about, ohhh, 10 or so in a 20km radius. Not sure what I can advise you to do other than instead of a 'normal' cache where you just walk to it on your GPS receiver, make it more difficult than that. Such as walking to a point but then having to use a compass and pace off a distance to find it.

One cache in my area told a pirate story about how a ship went aground back in the early 1700s and all lives where lost expect for one. The survivour hid the 'loot' nearby where the ship went down. The last line of the story went like this "The captains hook will point the way, 130 paces more or less it lay"

So, you follow your position down to this freakin' huge boulder along the shore, the waves are crashin in and you say to yourself how can a cache be here? The ocean would wash it away. So you climb up on this boulder only to discover a rusty hook embedded into the rock pointing off into the woods. Ahhhhhhh! The Captains Hook!

So you line yourself up with the hook, count off about 130 paces, crash through the woods and just about when your ready to give up in frustration and take a seat BAM! There it is under some bushes. You have to crawl on your belly under VERY dense bushes up inside this 10 foot clearing. There's the treasure! Skull and bones and treasure chest!

It was the absolute best cache I ever visited.

Maybe something along those lines. Make it more difficult and fun. I plan to do some sort of 'Bigfoot' story, where a camper was snatched up by bigfoot and give a position to a location where you find some of the campers bones with a clue to another location. Haven't worked out the details yet, but with the last clue you will have to turn your GPS off as no position will be given (UTM that is).

Digger